Define George Orwell's 1984

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
In your own Words....

I have been reading quite a bit of disscussion on what Orwell menat by this book, with quite a few conflicting entries.

I'll post my thoughts later. Honestly, I read it quite a few years ago, so my memory is a little shy.

2+2=5

You cant prove me wrong because everything in the past and present says I am correct...

AN excellent book. I think it shows what can happen if the people leave everything up to the government and let propaganda run wild. Big brother is always watching.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
1984 is an inference about a plausable era in which humans are prohibited from exhibiting mental growth. It paints a picture of the demize of what truely epitimizes the most beautiful characteristic of humanity. Due to a lack of selfishness on the part of the majority of the populous when it comes to their own beliefs, those who wallow in their selfishness are unburdened by self-control.

Selfishness is a good thing as is deprecation. While most authors focus on the necessity for deprecation, I found that Orwell actually paints a picture in favor of people's inherent selfishness, and what might happen if we give that up.

THE GIVER, another fantastic book, also exhibits this static characteristic, throught its characters, that everyone today inherently fears.

In one of these novels passion eventually leads to the mentally grandious. In the other, passion is futile, ultimitely subdued by hopelessness.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
1984 is an inference about a plausable era in which humans are prohibited from exhibiting mental growth. It paints a picture of the demize of what truely epitimizes the most beautiful characteristic of humanity. Due to a lack of selfishness on the part of the majority of the populous when it comes to their own beliefs, those who wallow in their selfishness are unburdened by self-control.

Selfishness is a good thing as is deprecation. While most authors focus on the necessity for deprecation, I found that Orwell actually paints a picture in favor of people's inherent selfishness, and what might happen if we give that up.

THE GIVER, another fantastic book, also exhibits this static characteristic, throught its characters, that everyone today inherently fears.

In one of these novels passion eventually leads to the mentally grandious. In the other, passion is futile, ultimitely subdued by hopelessness.
The Giver is an awesome book.

That is all.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Read Ayn Rand's "Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism" after reading 1984.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: Amused
Read Ayn Rand's "Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism" after reading 1984.

Clifnotes? :p

No way I could do it justice. You have to read it, lazybones. :p