define 1st level, 2nd level, in particular, 3rd level IT support?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by abc, Dec 16, 2001.

1. abc

abc Diamond Member

I guess 1st level is a pure 'helpdesk' sit at the desk, pick up the phone kinda job. Would 2nd be where you physically go investigate the prob. but not necessarily so.... and what's 3rd?

2. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Here's my experience with the tiers -

First level - some guy who doesn't know the difference between the mouse and keyboard
    Second level - guy sitting in the cubicle next to the 1st level guy who happens to have half a clue
    Third level - some guy sitting by himself, playing virtual pool on yahoo who only works when the first two levels can't solve something

Of course, YMMV by company.

3. Gunbuster

Gunbuster Diamond Member

Other times 3rd level is a trashcan with a "3rd level" sign taped to it

4. yoda291

yoda291 Diamond Member

IT really depends. Where I work, pc support/pc operations/helpdesk are all smushed together as tier 1. Everything we don't do, goes to tier 2 or networking. Then tier 3 is where aynal retentive people go when they feel like bypassing the other two tiers. Then tier3 nags tier 1, until tier1 can't solve it where they nag tier 2, where they can't solve it, so it goes up to tier3 where they tell the user "Sorry, we don't support that particular piece of software/hardware".

It breaks down into different problems tho,
    tier 1 - I stuck a chocolate bar into my floppy drive.
    tier 2 - I have 3 gigs of pr0n on my network drive I need you guys to erase asap.
    tier3 - Why the heck haven't they freed my lunch from my drive and cleaned my network documents yet?

5. SyahM

SyahM Golden Member

errr .. how much does each tier got paid? I maybe applying for tier 2 job ..

6. Keego

Keego Diamond Member

depends on the company of course, I was teir 3 support, it was damn easy and I got a lot for just being out of high school :D

7. mithrandir2001

mithrandir2001 Diamond Member

3rd level is generally the software developer, if the problem has to do with a software application.

8. DaLeroy

DaLeroy Golden Member

At my work, I'm first level support....helpdesk, first point of contact. And contrary to popular opinion, we actually do have a clue....as we have a 70%+ First call fix rate! :)

2nd level is onsite,

got no third level really..