Defense secretary sees possibility of another terror attack

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050216-0658-rumsfeld.html
WASHINGTON (AP ? Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld warned on Wednesday that terrorists are regrouping for another strike, but the United States is preparing to deal with any threat.

"The extremists continue to plot to attack again. They are at this moment recalibrating and reorganizing. And so are we," the Pentagon chief told members of the House Armed Services Committee in prepared testimony.

Offering his argument for President Bush's request for $419 billion in defense spending for fiscal 2006, Rumsfeld said the plan sets an ambitious course to "continue prosecuting the war and to attack its ideological underpinnings."

In the first of back-to-back testimony, the defense secretary said the times ahead will be challenging and focused on two central realities of the war on terror. He said the fight to defeat terrorism can't be won by military means alone and that other agencies must be involved as well. Rumsfeld said, "The United States cannot win a global struggle alone."

"It will take cooperation among a great many nations to stop weapons proliferation," he said. "It will take a great many nations working together to locate and dismantle global extremist cells. It takes a great many nations to gather and share the intelligence crucial to stopping future attacks."

Rumsfeld spoke to lawmakers increasingly concerned about an exit strategy for Iraq, a timetable for troops to return home and the skyrocketing costs of the war. Earlier this week, President Bush asked Congress for $82 billion in emergency money to fund the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

"The future of this conflict is not predictable. So additional funds will have to be requested as required," Rumsfeld said Wednesday.
Hmm...utter incompetence in planning for the peace has resulted in the need for a series of blank checks (and a continued supply of coffins.) Wonder if Rummy is wishing he'd listened to Shinseki instead of pushing him out the door.

But, I wonder what terrorists he's referring to? His quote above seems vaguely familiar...ah, yes!

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I guess Social Security isn't selling well. Time to sell more fear!

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
i find it interesting how much money we are tossing at the war...mostly because when i bring up policy to stop spread of disease, etc in many countries outside the US the answer i get from my conservative buddies is "throwing money at a problem doesnt fix it"

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
It's borrow money...who cares? And Cheney said Reagan proved deficits don't matter.

But, the UN agrees that terror attacks are likely to increase but they have a different take on the subject:

U.N. Team Predicts Rise in Terror Attacks
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s...ap/20050215/ap_on_re_mi_ea/un_al_qaida
UNITED NATIONS - A U.N. team investigating compliance with sanctions against al-Qaida and the Taliban predicted Tuesday that brutal attacks by Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s followers will escalate as they still have easy access to bombmaking materials and money.

Terror attacks sponsored by al-Qaida and weapons of mass destruction are among the chief threats confronting the world, according to the team's report to a U.N. Security Council committee monitoring sanctions against al-Qaida and the Taliban.

Al-Qaida remains capable of mounting "devastating attacks" and sanctions are only having a limited effect on the group, which is still keen to acquire chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear weapons, a U.N. report said.

It is only "a matter of time" before a successful attack occurs, the report said.

U.N. sanctions require all 191 U.N. member states to impose a travel ban and arms embargo against a list of those linked to Osama bin Laden's terror network and the former Afghan rulers and to freeze their financial assets. The list includes more than 430 individuals and groups.

The semiannual report, which will be considered by the full Security Council at a later stage, painted a grim picture of a terror group determined to spread its influence, constantly evolving to evade detection.

"The biggest fear we all have is terrorists getting hold of the means to cause a mass attack," said Richard Barrett, the team's coordinator. "Al-Qaida is a phenomenon that observes no borders. It is even harder to track now than it was a year or two ago when it had a more coherent structure and leadership."

He added that he did not think al-Qaida was likely to obtain an entire bomb, but rather components of weapons of mass destruction, for example, toxic or radioactive material.

Despite steps taken by U.N. member states to impose military-style weapon embargoes, attacks with small arms and explosives have continued, the team said.

It said measures should be taken to counter the threat of portable anti-aircraft missile systems and materials that can be turned into explosives.

Financial sanctions, such as an assets freeze, may be the most effective way to stop large-scale terrorist operations, and many countries had implemented banking reforms to stop terror groups from moving money around, the report said.

"But there are many unofficial ways available to circumvent these restrictions," it added.

The team also said a travel ban imposed on people listed as being members of the Taliban and al-Qaida or their associates should be tightened and it called on the United Nations (news - web sites) to work with Interpol on problem areas like forged travel documents.

No member state reported a violation of the ban for the three years the sanctions had been in force, but it was "difficult to believe" no al-Qaida or Taliban member had crossed a national border, the report said.

Barrett said he did not know where bin Laden was. But despite the lack of knowledge about the al-Qaida leader's whereabouts, the group he led continues to thrive.

"The team sees no let-up in the determination of al-Qaida, the Taliban and their associates to continue their campaign of terror," the report said, warning of "a further escalation in terms of brutality of attacks."

"Building on the appeal of its message, al-Qaida is actively seeking new areas in which to expand, both to recruit and to base itself. It aims to radicalize Muslim communities through propaganda and to create and exploit a sense of injustice whether political, social or economic," it added.

Barrett also said the terror group was using the conflict in Iraq (news - web sites) to boost its standing. "There is no doubt al-Qaida is using the situation in Iraq to promote themselves and recruit people," he said.

Looks like Bush's costly and deadly romp in Iraq did not one damn thing to fight the true war on terror. It's only made things worse.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050216-0658-rumsfeld.html
Rumsfeld said, "The United States cannot win a global struggle alone."

"It will take cooperation among a great many nations to stop weapons proliferation," he said. "It will take a great many nations working together to locate and dismantle global extremist cells. It takes a great many nations to gather and share the intelligence crucial to stopping future attacks."

I guess Social Security isn't selling well. Time to sell more fear!

I wonder how that statement by Rumsfeld ties in with this admins 'go it alone' preemptive policy? They didn't care about cooperation earlier, why the change of heart? Funds running low? They should have considered all that before they started squandering money and lives in their misguided adventures.:disgust:

The only thing we have to fear is the foolish policies of this administration, not fear itself.:|

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Another reason for these new terror warnings is Bush's approval ratings are still flatlined.

FEAR! FEAR! FEAR!

Gotta bump up those approval ratings.

GRAB THE DUCT TAPE!

irwincur

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
And we needed two posts covering the same thing... why? Oh, I know, you need to maximize your Bush Hitler Fourth Reich hatred.

Carry on.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: irwincur
And we needed two posts covering the same thing... why? Oh, I know, you need to maximize your Bush Hitler Fourth Reich hatred.

Carry on.
WTF are you talking about? Oh, I know. Just the typical irwincur post: completely absent of content.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
*YAWN* - as Rummi sits there spouting out these words to force terror down our citizen's throats, to keep them rallied about bush's regime, while jerking himself off and laughing

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Another reason for these new terror warnings is Bush's approval ratings are still flatlined.

FEAR! FEAR! FEAR!

Gotta bump up those approval ratings.

GRAB THE DUCT TAPE!
Hmm...and we're seeing the same thing again now.

wow....I'm so surprised.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: irwincur

Carry on.
WTF are you talking about? Oh, I know. Just the typical irwincur post: completely absent of content.

One can only post so much with one free hand ;)