Defense of one's self and family.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
To a degree, I'm talking about self-defense as well. If you take weapons out of the equation, you reduce both access to them and the temptation to use them. Sometimes pulling the gun or knife might deter someone... but many times it just escalates the situation and leaves someone dead (we've had a few threads about these incidents).

I'm not so innocent as to think that discouraging weapon ownership would prevent these situations, or that people without weapons are going to sing Kumbaya. But the US has this weird logical disconnect where it encourages the proliferation of weapons, treats them like they're 'needed' to stay safe, and then wonders why violent crime is much more of a problem than in other similarly-developed countries.

It's plain to see that people don't respect weapons if they pull out a knife to discourage someone. There's an old saying, knives are made to be felt, not seen. I don't carry a firearm, but neither am what I consider naive. The chances of being injured with potential life threatening beatings is far higher than crimes some fear the most. Reported violent rape has spiked since 2013, a great deal. While some of this would be unavoidable if we're considering such things as domestic violence, but here in NY it is virtually impossible to defend one's self from rape by any effective means. My daughter is one of the few women who has a chance against assault and it is known that the best way to fight off a rapist is to effectively fight them off. No, she doesn't carry a gun since that's not legally possible in any practical way.

Anyway, that's my perspective and how I handle things and again others ought to follow their own way.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Everyone has different perceptions and perspectives which to them make sense and likely more than not apply to their situation. In light of a future which IMO is likely more violent whether spontaneous or planned I was wondering what those are? Someone who worked in home security said that the best protection in the home is a good door and an alarm. Others have some means of defense while at home, some do not.

Being on the street is another matter as no door or alarm is useful in a situation where there's a conflict or potential one.

Naturally where one lives makes a difference. Living in a area where walking out your door is significantly more dangerous than in another one is a factor so I ask you take all modifying identifiable variables that might impact you be taken into consideration as well. In the future it may be political terrorism or other violence. Is that a potential concern?

Please note this is NOT a pro nor anti gun thread. Make your own like the many others out there. Discussions about one's means are the point. If you carry, that's fine. If you don't, then that's fine too. This is neither for support nor condemnation of one's means or opinions on defense, it's an opportunity to express YOUR PERSONAL TAKE FOR YOURSELF and that is to prevent the immediate deterioration into the usual shitshow.

Thanks for adhering to the spirit of the thread.
Over the years, I've given thought to this.

I have a limited experience with firearms going back to the time I was 14 years old with a Mossberg semi-auto .22 LR target rifle. It was good for hunting jackrabbits and squirrels. Since I was 20, I haven't felt a need for a firearm. In those days, I don't think that type of weapon required registration of any kind. I think that during my early adolescence, I needed my grandmother's presence to purchase cartridges. We regularly went to a local rifle-range in the foothills to practice.

We live in a gated community in which several townhome condominiums are in an association that includes a few roomy $700,000 homes at the top of the hill, included in the original developer's plan.

The gate down at the entrance makes it difficult for unauthorized intruders to get a truck or van into the development that would accommodate the proceeds of home invasion and burglary.

About five or ten years ago, I asked a friend -- retired San Bernardino police detective -- if he thought I should get an AR-15 for home protection. He advised against it, noting that a stray round could go across the street and penetrate a neighbor's house, perhaps putting the neighbor's life at risk. And he told me that a pump-action shot-gun would serve much better: anyone who hears you rack that sucker would already be running out the door and off the property by the time you pulled the trigger.

But it is an investment I just haven't bothered to make yet.

There was a time when this was an Air Force town, and I could remember the deafening roar of two B-47s at low altitude during the Missile Crisis. People left their windows open at night during certain times of a season, protected only by a window screen.

Then, something happened just short of the mid-1980s. Richard Ramirez, "The Night Stalker". If there has been a decline in Satanism since then -- Ramirez's greatest devotion -- there was no end to people equipping their homes with solid steel fortified screen doors as opposed to the flimsy aluminum variety commonly installed in homes. They "did" their doors and they "did" their windows.

I was living in the Washington DC area at the time, but my brother began collecting firearms -- offering me the pleasure and opportunity to fire a .458 Magnum Weatherby bolt-action "dangerous game" rifle -- otherwise called an "Elephant gun", which has drawn my attention several times when I think of a civil war with Republicans. Those cartridges were half the size of a standard hand grenade. I put clean holes through half-inch-thick sheet steel at maybe 200 yards -- the type of steel plate I saw used to cover holes in the streets during the DC Metro subway construction.

And -- if I said it was a pleasure to pop off several rounds with that Weatherby, I offer the caveat that I would never, ever, never, never again do it without a well-cushioned shoulder pad. The sharp pain left by that afternoon on the firing range didn't go a way for more than a month.

So now, people have fortified their single-family homes and armed themselves to the teeth. Or -- they move to gated town-home condominium communities.

However. Not inspired by either Anti-Fa or Charlottesville Nazis who'd arrived there from everywhere else, I keep dreaming up inflammatory bumper stickers and "rear-door posters" for my beloved 95 Trooper. One day, I was down at the Big Five sporting goods store, and followed my curiosity to see if they still sold a good solid oak Louisville Slugger. (See, with those bumper posters, I would imagine scenarios where someone attempted to damage my car or damage me, giving me the opportunity to refresh my adolescent skills for the grand-slam line-drive down centerfield.)

So I bought a Louisville Slugger and put it in my Trooper. Maybe I'll bring it indoors and put it in the foyer corner. Either way, it is a lovely thing, heavy enough with perfect balance. Before I joined Little League, I had experiences with an axe chopping down orange trees. I just have a knack for that sort of thing, even now.

And, sure -- I like to make macabre jokes with Anthony Hopkins' script-lines from the Hannibal films -- with a nice Chi-aunti -- Thpp, Thpp, Thpp, Thpp!

But I'm a peace-loving guy who just loves his pulled-pork chile verde and porterhouse steaks -- nothing more. I could go on and hold forth about my genuine Marine Corps machete -- also a lovely piece of work. I suppose I should think of a more strategic place to keep it in the house . . . or in the car . . .

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Over the years, I've given thought to this.

I have a limited experience with firearms going back to the time I was 14 years old with a Mossberg semi-auto .22 LR target rifle. It was good for hunting jackrabbits and squirrels. Since I was 20, I haven't felt a need for a firearm. In those days, I don't think that type of weapon required registration of any kind. I think that during my early adolescence, I needed my grandmother's presence to purchase cartridges. We regularly went to a local rifle-range in the foothills to practice.

We live in a gated community in which several townhome condominiums are in an association that includes a few roomy $700,000 homes at the top of the hill, included in the original developer's plan.

The gate down at the entrance makes it difficult for unauthorized intruders to get a truck or van into the development that would accommodate the proceeds of home invasion and burglary.

About five or ten years ago, I asked a friend -- retired San Bernardino police detective -- if he thought I should get an AR-15 for home protection. He advised against it, noting that a stray round could go across the street and penetrate a neighbor's house, perhaps putting the neighbor's life at risk. And he told me that a pump-action shot-gun would serve much better: anyone who hears you rack that sucker would already be running out the door and off the property by the time you pulled the trigger.

But it is an investment I just haven't bothered to make yet.

There was a time when this was an Air Force town, and I could remember the deafening roar of two B-47s at low altitude during the Missile Crisis. People left their windows open at night during certain times of a season, protected only by a window screen.

Then, something happened just short of the mid-1980s. Richard Ramirez, "The Night Stalker". If there has been a decline in Satanism since then -- Ramirez's greatest devotion -- there was no end to people equipping their homes with solid steel fortified screen doors as opposed to the flimsy aluminum variety commonly installed in homes. They "did" their doors and they "did" their windows.

I was living in the Washington DC area at the time, but my brother began collecting firearms -- offering me the pleasure and opportunity to fire a .458 Magnum Weatherby bolt-action "dangerous game" rifle -- otherwise called an "Elephant gun", which has drawn my attention several times when I think of a civil war with Republicans. Those cartridges were half the size of a standard hand grenade. I put clean holes through half-inch-thick sheet steel at maybe 200 yards -- the type of steel plate I saw used to cover holes in the streets during the DC Metro subway construction.

And -- if I said it was a pleasure to pop off several rounds with that Weatherby, I offer the caveat that I would never, ever, never, never again do it without a well-cushioned shoulder pad. The sharp pain left by that afternoon on the firing range didn't go a way for more than a month.

So now, people have fortified their single-family homes and armed themselves to the teeth. Or -- they move to gated town-home condominium communities.

However. Not inspired by either Anti-Fa or Charlottesville Nazis who'd arrived there from everywhere else, I keep dreaming up inflammatory bumper stickers and "rear-door posters" for my beloved 95 Trooper. One day, I was down at the Big Five sporting goods store, and followed my curiosity to see if they still sold a good solid oak Louisville Slugger. (See, with those bumper posters, I would imagine scenarios where someone attempted to damage my car or damage me, giving me the opportunity to refresh my adolescent skills for the grand-slam line-drive down centerfield.)

So I bought a Louisville Slugger and put it in my Trooper. Maybe I'll bring it indoors and put it in the foyer corner. Either way, it is a lovely thing, heavy enough with perfect balance. Before I joined Little League, I had experiences with an axe chopping down orange trees. I just have a knack for that sort of thing, even now.

And, sure -- I like to make macabre jokes with Anthony Hopkins' script-lines from the Hannibal films -- with a nice Chi-aunti -- Thpp, Thpp, Thpp, Thpp!

But I'm a peace-loving guy who just loves his pulled-pork chile verde and porterhouse steaks -- nothing more. I could go on and hold forth about my genuine Marine Corps machete -- also a lovely piece of work. I suppose I should think of a more strategic place to keep it in the house . . . or in the car . . .

An Ontario, eh? I have a longer version and it's tough as nails. I've not made up my mind yet on whether I prefer it or my kukhri for woodcraft.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I have two guard dogs. Between them they're nearly twenty one pounds of instant death (or maybe just a good barking as they run away).

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have two guard dogs. Between them they're nearly twenty one pounds of instant death (or maybe just a good barking as they run away).

I've heard it said that the size of the dog matters less than their bark and vigilance. On that front, my partner is safe... her teacup Yorkie is adorably tiny, but he'll bark fiercely at the door if he has even the slightest suspicion that someone is there.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I've heard it said that the size of the dog matters less than their bark and vigilance. On that front, my partner is safe... her teacup Yorkie is adorably tiny, but he'll bark fiercely at the door if he has even the slightest suspicion that someone is there.
Sounds about right. Mine can hear a cat cross the front porch thirty feet away behind two closed doors. The UPS guy sends them into a foaming at the mouth frenzy.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
The chances of being attacked are fairly remote. Despite what most in this thread seem to think, US criminal violence is on the way down. The country is a safer place than it has been for a long time. Anyone denying this isn't worth debating on the topic of self-defense.

Even with low criminal violence rates, it's still something you need to be at least somewhat prepared for because the price for failure could be the lives of you or your family. So, I would hope we could all agree you can be concerned with the necessity for self-defense preparedness without being a nut who just wants an excuse to kill.

I classify self-defense weapons into two categories: those that create space between you and the attacker, and those that require you to close the distance between you and the attacker to use. I collect knives and carry one daily but only as a tool. I would hate to have to defend myself from an attacker with one. Some type of club with a bit of reach would be a better option, but I'm not willing to carry one because of the inconvenience vs likelihood of ever needing it.

Overall, I want the easiest to use weapon that gives me the greatest opportunity to survive the fight. For me that's a gun. I don't want to rely on my ninja melee fighting skills and be forced to close with an attacker to defend my home, family or self. And a small, semi-auto pistol is easy and comfortable to conceal carry on a daily basis. Luckily, I live where that is legal.

But a weapon is just part of any self or home defense plan. Situational awareness, simply not picking fights and other good habits will go far in avoiding attacks. Living in a safe area, good outdoor lighting, knowing your neighbors and looking out for one another, good door and window locks, an alarm system, dogs and all those other common sense steps are important for securing your home. The goal is to not be an attractive target for criminals, and to do your best to avoid having to physically defend yourself in the first place.

All that said, we have to keep things in perspective and remember the country is safer than it has been in a long time. We can't let fear and distrust of our fellow man ruin our quality of life. Life is good, but there is nothing wrong with being prepared to defend it should the unthinkable happen.

Last edited: