Defense of one's self and family.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Everyone has different perceptions and perspectives which to them make sense and likely more than not apply to their situation. In light of a future which IMO is likely more violent whether spontaneous or planned I was wondering what those are? Someone who worked in home security said that the best protection in the home is a good door and an alarm. Others have some means of defense while at home, some do not.

Being on the street is another matter as no door or alarm is useful in a situation where there's a conflict or potential one.

Naturally where one lives makes a difference. Living in a area where walking out your door is significantly more dangerous than in another one is a factor so I ask you take all modifying identifiable variables that might impact you be taken into consideration as well. In the future it may be political terrorism or other violence. Is that a potential concern?

Please note this is NOT a pro nor anti gun thread. Make your own like the many others out there. Discussions about one's means are the point. If you carry, that's fine. If you don't, then that's fine too. This is neither for support nor condemnation of one's means or opinions on defense, it's an opportunity to express YOUR PERSONAL TAKE FOR YOURSELF and that is to prevent the immediate deterioration into the usual shitshow.

Thanks for adhering to the spirit of the thread.

Jan 25, 2011
I would side with a good door and alarm. Especially the alarm, visibly communicated. Home burglaries are opportunity crimes. They involve little to no planning in the overwhelming majority of cases. An immediate visual deterrent will go further than anything else.

Targeted property crimes are few and far between. If you want to get into a discussion on those finite, rare occurrences that would change my answer. in general the signage will help more than anything else and I say this having spend over a decade in senior management in physical security and investigations.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I live in a suburban neighborhood that for all intents and purposes is a dead end (you would not drive through our part of the neighborhood unless you were trying to get to a house in our part of the neighborhood). That obviously cuts way down on crimes of opportunity.

That leaves people casing the neighborhood so putting up a sign as I mentioned in the other thread would probably deter that threat vector when they can just move on to a house that isn't "protected."

Got some Blink cameras covering our 3 entrances. I mention the brand because I wouldn't recommend them. Their sensors are shit. Their night vision is shit. However, they get the job done enough that if anyone did clean us out we would have something for the cops to go on.

I have to imagine home robberies are trending down these days as it just doesn't seem worth the effort to me except in seriously poor neighborhoods.

As for when we are out and about, we don't really ever visit high crime areas, and if we do find ourselves in such an area for some reason I just use basic common sense. Stay observant and avoid areas where there are not lots of people.

What else is there? Not going to worry about some theoretical mass shooting incident the same as I don't worry about winning the lottery.

Jul 9, 2009
I have motion sensor spot lights on each side and in front and back dialed down to not go off by opossums or raccoons. Hardened (steel jamb/lock/hinge inserts and flip style locks) windows and doors so the only way through them is to break them. Cameras (well camera looking items) mounted in front and on sides with little red LED lights on them. Never leaving obvious signs of anything worthwhile to break into the house. No NRA stickers, no empty boxes of high priced items left out for the trash.
Keep eyes and ears open, be on good terms with neighbors. Take care of your neighbors, be a good neighbor yourself. If you see something go and talk to whoever it is. Call authorities if needed.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Everyone has different perceptions and perspectives which to them make sense and likely more than not apply to their situation. In light of a future which IMO is likely more violent whether spontaneous or planned I was wondering what those are? Someone who worked in home security said that the best protection in the home is a good door and an alarm. Others have some means of defense while at home, some do not.

Being on the street is another matter as no door or alarm is useful in a situation where there's a conflict or potential one.

Naturally where one lives makes a difference. Living in a area where walking out your door is significantly more dangerous than in another one is a factor so I ask you take all modifying identifiable variables that might impact you be taken into consideration as well. In the future it may be political terrorism or other violence. Is that a potential concern?

Please note this is NOT a pro nor anti gun thread. Make your own like the many others out there. Discussions about one's means are the point. If you carry, that's fine. If you don't, then that's fine too. This is neither for support nor condemnation of one's means or opinions on defense, it's an opportunity to express YOUR PERSONAL TAKE FOR YOURSELF and that is to prevent the immediate deterioration into the usual shitshow.

Thanks for adhering to the spirit of the thread.

I think, except for certain vulnerable groups, home invasions and muggings are exceedingly rare, and the people that spend a lot of energy thinking about them and preparing for them are the people that sub-consciously want them to happen, like the people that build bomb shelters in their backyard.

I've lived in high crime areas and never worried for a minute about my safety, there were some excessively blighted areas I wouldn't go, but I don't know if they're actually dangerous or not. My guess would be no.

Reactions: TheVrolok

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We are rural and live on 3.5 acres with the nearest neighbor a quarter mile away so we don't even get many people coming up the driveway at random. We do have 3 large dogs that roam within the confines of their invisible fence, which can concern people that don't know it's there. Those people that like to go door to door attempting to spread their religion sit down in our driveway and try to motion us down to talk to them because they don't want to run the dog gauntlet lol.

I do have a couple of guns, but nothing dedicated for home defense. A .22 sits in the kitchen just out of reach in case a varmint comes into the yard, but normally they don't. I was thinking about getting a camera for when we are away for more than a little bit. Sometimes local shifty people like to go into garages when people aren't home and steal tools etc.

We did have a van come up our driveway once and try to coax one of our dogs into coming over by him. I called the sheriff and they ran them off quick. They took off when I came out of the house, but I got their information and called it in right away. I am sure they were told to never come back 'round here again. Probably Chicago gang bangers looking for bait dogs, mutherfukrs.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Dog...good sized. Very few opportunistic thieves will attempt a break-in at a house with a dog barking on the other side of the door. They'll just move on to somewhere without a dog. Alarms are nice and all, but in the grand scheme of things, they just alert you that you've just been robbed. By the time the police do show up, a good thief is long gone.

Reactions: amenx

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Dog...good sized. Very few opportunistic thieves will attempt a break-in at a house with a dog barking on the other side of the door. They'll just move on to somewhere without a dog. Alarms are nice and all, but in the grand scheme of things, they just alert you that you've just been robbed. By the time the police do show up, a good thief is long gone.
My dogs are my alarm that can be heard a long way away and have big teeth :D

All I need is to know something's wrong and then I can call 911 and take a defensive posture.

We've been focusing on the home but like me you probably had to work late hours and may not always in the best neighborhoods. Others may also have to be out and about in less than ideal situations.

Do others just ignore everything? Do they have an idea what to do if there's a confrontation that they might diffuse or realize they can't? Are people prepared for the unexpected or no?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Domestically speaking, the Future is more violent. It is so because you put the tool of Death into Everyone's hand. People less familiar with such Power are far less likely to resort to that level of violence when the stresses of Life or Mental Illness sets in.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Domestically speaking, the Future is more violent. It is so because you put the tool of Death into Everyone's hand. People less familiar with such Power are far less likely to resort to that level of violence when the stresses of Life or Mental Illness sets in.

Violent crime and property crime have been falling for decades.

People are just more afraid of it than ever and pickle their brains on one police procedural after another.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How not to do it:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I have motion sensor spot lights on each side and in front and back dialed down to not go off by opossums or raccoons. Hardened (steel jamb/lock/hinge inserts and flip style locks) windows and doors so the only way through them is to break them. Cameras (well camera looking items) mounted in front and on sides with little red LED lights on them. Never leaving obvious signs of anything worthwhile to break into the house. No NRA stickers, no empty boxes of high priced items left out for the trash.
Keep eyes and ears open, be on good terms with neighbors. Take care of your neighbors, be a good neighbor yourself. If you see something go and talk to whoever it is. Call authorities if needed.

No hand grenades for home defense? I am disappointed.

Nov 8, 2012

I was going to say this as well - A nice hefty 50lb+ dog would be right behind a good door + good alarm as the most effective way of preventing crime. They don't even have to bite - just bark to make them sound scary from the other side.

I'm in a much nicer area now after having kids - pretty much every other house (including mine) has multiple security cameras as well.

So the most that ever really happens in our neighborhood are porch thieves.

Violent crime and property crime have been falling for decades.

People are just more afraid of it than ever and pickle their brains on one police procedural after another.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! OH GOD SOMEONE PLEASE think of the children!!

I can't possibly let Billy run around play outside! Better keep him inside playing videogames and eating chips just to make sure he is safe.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I was going to say this as well - A nice hefty 50lb+ dog would be right behind a good door + good alarm as the most effective way of preventing crime. They don't even have to bite - just bark to make them sound scary from the other side.

I'm in a much nicer area now after having kids - pretty much every other house (including mine) has multiple security cameras as well.

So the most that ever really happens in our neighborhood are porch thieves.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! OH GOD SOMEONE PLEASE think of the children!!

I can't possibly let Billy run around play outside! Better keep him inside playing videogames and eating chips just to make sure he is safe.

I get the point about home defense but in light of real-world crimes, a narwhal tusk was the best option in London? I am not arguing for firearms, but I am uncomfortable with what amounts to helplessness.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm an apartment dweller (though it might not be much longer), so my security currently amounts to remembering to bolt and lock the door... if I'm really nervous, put some music on to pretend I'm home!

With that noted: I think North Americans have a somewhat spoiled view of burglary risks. My partner's from South Africa, and you don't take any chances there due to the high crime rates. Your house has a gate; you probably have bars on the windows; not only that, but you have locks and gates inside the house so that intruders can't easily get to you.

Admittedly, part of the reason for all those defenses is that you can't really rely on technology there. South Africa's power company Eskom can't reliably deliver electricity (there's a whole saga behind that), so you just have to prepare for the possibility that you'll be without power for a few hours on a given day. And while there are decent internet plans in the country, you probably don't to bet on connected security cameras as a line of defense.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I get the point about home defense but in light of real-world crimes, a narwhal tusk was the best option in London? I am not arguing for firearms, but I am uncomfortable with what amounts to helplessness.

Short of your own firearms, long blades (swords, machetes) are the most practical solution. But they require a certain physicality to use them. And they are likely more illegal to carry around in the United States than guns. Nations tend to crack down on all forms of weapons.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Short of your own firearms, long blades (swords, machetes) are the most practical solution. But they require a certain physicality to use them. And they are likely more illegal to carry around in the United States than guns. Nations tend to crack down on all forms of weapons.

Consider something like this

Ka-Bar-TDI-Self-Defence-Cane-Black-Aluminum-BHQ-55122-jr-large.jpg

Fun fact- by Federal and international law it is illegal to ban or refuse entry of someone with cane. In terms of physicality, there is some required but it is a preferred and effective means of defense among the elderly and disabled and training in the art can be had. Because I can take this through airport security or anywhere else it's a favored choice when hands are free to carry it.

That guy in London would be down in an instant if someone was prepared but I'm not saying everyone has to be anything. They can choose to continue along however they like but here's one option (and it doesn't have to be this model but a sturdy wooden one with a fairly large hook) that cannot be denied by law.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's helplessness so much as making a conscious choice to keep guns and other weapons out of the conversation. Yeah, you get moments like this, but the US also has mass violence and the incidents are frequently much worse.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I don't think it's helplessness so much as making a conscious choice to keep guns and other weapons out of the conversation. Yeah, you get moments like this, but the US also has mass violence and the incidents are frequently much worse.

I've decided to keep guns out of this as that's a trigger to divert, pardon the intentional pun, however, I'm talking about self-defense, not going against a full auto AK with a pocket knife, but the far more common and day to day situations that happen by the hundreds of thousands yearly. If a guy comes at you with violent intent something that has happened to me several times, then...? That's more in line with what I'm thinking, avoiding or stopping something like that or even the stabber terrorist. I would submit that statistically the chances of being a victim of "mass violence" is vanishingly small and far far more likely to be an act of personal and willful harm by others, and again this is what I'm focusing on more.

We're all from different backgrounds which creates different perspectives so suffice it to say that mine strongly suggests that one be mindful and have some idea how do deal with adversity.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Dogs are best. If a security alarm went off it would scare the shit out of me. A nice tough dog is more reassuring as it can put up a good fight too.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've decided to keep guns out of this as that's a trigger to divert, pardon the intentional pun, however, I'm talking about self-defense, not going against a full auto AK with a pocket knife, but the far more common and day to day situations that happen by the hundreds of thousands yearly. If a guy comes at you with violent intent something that has happened to me several times, then...? That's more in line with what I'm thinking, avoiding or stopping something like that or even the stabber terrorist. I would submit that statistically the chances of being a victim of "mass violence" is vanishingly small and far far more likely to be an act of personal and willful harm by others, and again this is what I'm focusing on more.

We're all from different backgrounds which creates different perspectives so suffice it to say that mine strongly suggests that one be mindful and have some idea how do deal with adversity.

To a degree, I'm talking about self-defense as well. If you take weapons out of the equation, you reduce both access to them and the temptation to use them. Sometimes pulling the gun or knife might deter someone... but many times it just escalates the situation and leaves someone dead (we've had a few threads about these incidents).

I'm not so innocent as to think that discouraging weapon ownership would prevent these situations, or that people without weapons are going to sing Kumbaya. But the US has this weird logical disconnect where it encourages the proliferation of weapons, treats them like they're 'needed' to stay safe, and then wonders why violent crime is much more of a problem than in other similarly-developed countries.