Question Defective Gigabyte RX 6600?

OscaAndShintjee

Feb 22, 2022
Recently bought an RX 6600 Eagle as per this forum's recommendations
Performs phenomenally for what I need it to, but it seems to have issues

Since day 2-3 of buying it, I noticed strange occasional white screen flicker fits in games, which I brushed off as just some small driver issue
Then "AMDServ.exe" started throwing frequent errors about out-of-bounds memory access, and games started crashing only to be followed by AMD's Adrenalin software reporting driver crashes
Today it it started artifacting, which affected not just the game (Artifacting visible outside the game, individual frames seem to be dropped sometimes creating some sort of laggy input effect)

I thought it had something to do with my RAM overclock (3400 on otherwise 3000 rated vengeance LPX DIMMs) but running Memtest86 for a bit, there were no issues shown, but low and behold, the GPU artifacted even there. Restarting seems to get rid of the issue, but I'm not sure if it'll do so for long.

What should I do? Should I contact the store I bought it from (I have 3 years of warranty) or AMD?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
This sounds like a GPU issue for sure. Though to be sure, how long did you run memtest86 for? At least a couple full passes?

As for replacement, I would contact the store first, if possible, then Gigabyte. Since Gigabyte is the board partner who manufactured the card, AMD will not be in the process.

Reactions: OscaAndShintjee

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
What should I do? Should I contact the store I bought it from (I have 3 years of warranty) or AMD?

If you can return it to the retailer you bought it from, that will be the easiest/quickest/best option.

If you're past their return period, you will have to mail it into Gigabyte on your dime, and Gigabyte's RMA department doesn't have the most stellar reputation across the various hardware forums.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Keep in mind that retailers often try to offload the responsibility to the manufacturer, ducking their own legal obligations.

Although it may be preferable to the alternative, as there is a good chance that the retailer will just restock and resell the card if you just return it, even if you indicate that it is broken. That just screws over the next buyer.

OscaAndShintjee

Feb 22, 2022
I shot an email to the retailer I bought it from and they said they're willing to check it out, and if found defective, send it to Gigabyte for RMA (Which is not only a waste of time for me but also a garbage outcome instead of receiving a refund or a new card, because from my experience RMAs are half-assed).

However, what I uncovered is that I only get the driver crashes, artifacting and other similar issues only when I wake from sleep. If it's a fresh boot from a shut down state, there's absolutely no problems and the card functions as expected.
I was also able to "fix" another insufferable problem I was having, which was that the PC wouldn't end up fully booting past the UEFI splash screen about 50% of the time (at which points it just remains stuck there). I got some clues that it could be my power supply (Extremely cheap Cooler Master Elite V3 230V 600W) but I haven't been able to confirm it, as I don't have any others to test with. Instead, what resolved the issue was turning on ultra fast boot in the UEFI, which seems to go around the problem.

If I don't have any more problems with this card, I'll likely end up keeping it instead of RMA'ing it, because I can't see any way that waiting months for my card to be returned in a semi-functional state (who knows how long the RMA'd card will last) will be better than just coping with the few problems that it has.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Memtest86 for a bit, there were no issues shown, but low and behold, the GPU artifacted even there.
RMA it. Your problems are just going to get worse.

Lots of GPUs coming on the market now.

I shot an email to the retailer I bought it from and they said they're willing to check it out, and if found defective, send it to Gigabyte for RMA (Which is not only a waste of time for me but also a garbage outcome instead of receiving a refund or a new card, because from my experience RMAs are half-assed).
Time to name and shame, what two bit piece of scum retailer did you buy it from?

Consider raising a dispute with your credit card. Defective product. Retailer refused to take return or replace. You played fair, being nice is no longer necessary.

If I don't have any more problems with this card, I'll likely end up keeping it instead of RMA'ing it, because I can't see any way that waiting months for my card to be returned in a semi-functional state (who knows how long the RMA'd card will last) will be better than just coping with the few problems that it has.

That is a mistake. Record a call, insist the retailer take the card back and give you a full refund immediately. Escalate with your credit card company if they say no.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Try the RAM at XMP only, and if artifacts persist, then at stock (no XMP on UEFI)
Yes, even if memtest said no errors.

AMD drivers are extremely sensitive to RAM stability.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I had weird issues like this with an older AMD GPU, multiple 5700XTs actually. They needed to be returned or RMA'd. A different card worked with zero issues.

It's a reason that I swore to buy GPUs are retailers like Best Buy (returned a garbage launch XFX Thic 5700XT there with zero issues) but of course the world got weird and I haven't kept my promise to myself.

I want to stress that in hundreds of builds, I've had bad GPUs a handful of times. Those 5700XT woes are really the only ones that I can think of. I mention this because I feel if you can get a replacement then you'll solve your problem if you can validate the rest of your rig.

If it's new and just a few days after purchase, then yeah, I'd go nuclear on it with the retailer.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Gpu should never artifact.

If its still in return window hurry and return it, if you have to go though gigabyte RMA.. well, bless your soul for a upcoming disappointment.

Lets just say as of 2017 gigabyte made it on my #@$#@ vendor list.
They will RMA you a refurb even tho ur gpu maybe a few days old, so if your in the return window then return it.
If you have to RMA, take pictures of your card, and print the condition of the card and insert it in the rma box for proof.
Gigabyte is #2 in my things that will go wrong always will go wrong in RMA list.... the number 1 being ASUS.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

However, what I uncovered is that I only get the driver crashes, artifacting and other similar issues only when I wake from sleep. If it's a fresh boot from a shut down state, there's absolutely no problems and the card functions as expected.
I was also able to "fix" another insufferable problem I was having, which was that the PC wouldn't end up fully booting past the UEFI splash screen about 50% of the time (at which points it just remains stuck there). I got some clues that it could be my power supply (Extremely cheap Cooler Master Elite V3 230V 600W) but I haven't been able to confirm it, as I don't have any others to test with. Instead, what resolved the issue was turning on ultra fast boot in the UEFI, which seems to go around the problem.

I am just coming back to this, as I recently had a friend who bought an RX 6600, and started having issues with the card, I think it was mainly drivers and games crashing or something similar. He tried driver re-installs and the like, but later found out the issue was the PSU after replacing it. So I would definitely look into a replacement PSU, that could be the issue here. I would certainly recommend getting a good quality one.

Also, what are the rest of your system specs? As that could certainly affect what your PSU needs are for a replacement.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sort of feeds into my concerns about "power spiking" with this new gen of cards. Who knows what corners were cut to meet demand as well in order to meet consumer demand over the last couple years with simultaneous supply shortages.

Going cheaper (er) used this gen or just waiting for next gen and praying supply stuff is sorted out.