Defeat of VA SB263; anti-discrimination in state hiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
... on the basis of sexual orientation.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/va-senate-turnover-leads-defeat-antidiscrimination-bill

Reflecting the recent switch from Democratic to Republican control of the Virginia Senate, a bill aimed at prohibiting discrimination in state hiring on the basis of sexual orientation was defeated today.

The Senate General Laws and Technology Committee rejected Sen. Adam Ebbin’s bill, SB263, on an 8-7 party-line vote.

A similar measure was passed by the Senate last year when it had a Democratic majority, only to be defeated in the Republican-led House of Delegates. Republicans won effective control of the Senate in the November election.

Ebbin, D-Alexandria, had the support of labor unions, teacher and public-employee associations, and AARP, the over-50 lobby group. The socially conservative Family Foundation and the Virginia Association of Independent Baptists opposed the measure.

Opponents argued that the bill is unneeded because there is no evidence that gays and lesbians face discrimination now.

In concordance with yesterday's thread A solution for a problem that doesn't exist, I actually agree with the defeat of this bill because no evidence of GLBT discrimination in state hiring has been presented.

If there is such discrimination occurring, however, it should be stopped by a measure similar to this one.

The general theme in both of these threads is that laws should not be passed to address problems that have not been proven to exist.

Jan 25, 2011
Agree. No point creating legislation for a problem that doesn't exist. That being said should it become a problem...

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
They could prevent it from happening.

I'm not saying I'm for or against this bill, but the state shouldn't discriminate. I never read the bill, but if it didn't cost the tax payer any money and didn't reverse discriminate, then it's probably a good bill.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats not even the issue. Our problem is undocumented immigrants swallowing up perfectly good construction jobs. And that will never be fixed cuz too many politicians have interests in businesses that use cheap labor.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Thats not even the issue. Our problem is undocumented immigrants swallowing up perfectly good construction jobs. And that will never be fixed cuz too many politicians have interests in businesses that use cheap labor or the politicians are more interested in more votes.

FTFY

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
No evidence in matters like these are usually the results of "lost records" and "inconclusive investigations".

Overt discrimination is easily documented, but passive preferences in hiring are very difficult to prove absolutely.

You can't say to me, for one minute, with the number of people fighting against ANY Gay Rights legislation, that there is no discrimination in hiring policies. The trick is two fold: 1. Proving it. 2. Finding an EFFECTIVE way to stop it.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Whether this passed or not, it would be hard to prove for the less overt cases...as others have stated. Besides, wouldn't Equal Employment Opportunity cover this kind of behavior? Was this just a complete waste of taxpayer money by spending any time on this bill at all----making new laws instead of enforcing the ones that already exist?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/va-senate-turnover-leads-defeat-antidiscrimination-bill

In concordance with yesterday's thread A solution for a problem that doesn't exist, I actually agree with the defeat of this bill because no evidence of GLBT discrimination in state hiring has been presented.

If there is such discrimination occurring, however, it should be stopped by a measure similar to this one.

The general theme in both of these threads is that laws should not be passed to address problems that have not been proven to exist.

LOL. Interesting logic. But Republicans won't pass this law even if there is discrimination, which can now happen with impunity.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
The government is, has, and always will be more concerned with who you fcuk than who fcuks you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Unless that nonexistent problem is in-person voter fraud, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.