Deeko's 2012 NFL Predictions!!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I have a confession to make, ATOT. I’ve done you wrong. Between planning a cross-country wedding, some new app releases, and some big projects at work, I have not followed the NFL offseason nearly as diligently as I usually do. As such, there are fewer statistics and less backing the predictions you know and love this year. However, perhaps the less-is-more theory will pay off. Either way, I know one thing – I’m ready for some football!!

The usual disclaimers….I do not claim to be an expert, these picks are just for fun (and tradition). I make a rough estimate of each team’s record, while I do try to get the overall win/loss numbers even, I don’t do this game by game, so these totals may not be possible with the 2012 schedule. Also, while I do try to keep my personal bias out of the equation, as a fan, that’s really pretty hard to do, so I’m sure it influences some of my decisions. Note that if I did not pick your team to win the Superbowl, I usually did not intend it to be a personal insult.

NFC East

1. Philadelphia Eagles (10-6) – Everyone predicted the Eagles to dominate last year, and they fell flat on their face. Not a whole lot has changed since last year, so why am I still picking them to win the division? Simple – they had the talent last year, but not the teamwork. This year, they’ve had a year to play together, to gel as a unit, and maybe DeSean Jackson will actually try now that he has his contract. Of course, any team headlined by Vick can quickly be shelved by health, but their backup QB has looked solid, and they still have the best all-around back in the NFL with LeSean McCoy.
2. Dallas Cowboys (9-7) – As a fan, I’m cautiously optimistic about the Cowboys. Dez Bryant’s did-he-or-didn’t-he-beat-his-mom scandal aside, they’ve been relatively quiet this year, which is very rare for them…and probably a good thing. The secondary was a mess less season, and Dallas acquired the best free agent CB and the best CB in the draft, immediately filling that hole. DeMarco Murray looked great last year, but there are still big questions on the offensive line, and health is always a factor with this team. Plus, Jason Garrett could screw it all up by refusing to call anything but shotgun spreads in short yardage situation. We’ll see!
3. New York Giants (9-7) – Yes, I’m joining ranks with those who will incur the wrath of the Giants fans in underestimating the returning champs. I realize they turned it on when it counted, but the Giants just didn’t look very good in the regular season. As much credit as the press wants to lavish upon Eli, the real hero of this team is the defensive line – when Osi came back late last season they turned it on in a big way, and whether or not that continues is the biggest factor in their success. They should be good enough to make the playoffs, but this is a tough division facing a tough schedule, so it may be a struggle to get a wildcard.
4. Washington Redskins (6-10) – Washington has quickly fallen in love with RG3, and with good reason – he’s the first worthwhile QB prospect the team has had since Theismann. However, will that be enough? They are weak everywhere else on the offense. Granted, the unit still has a solid defense, and RG3 adds to the offense, but they’ll likely still finish at the bottom of the east.

NFC North

1. Green Bay Packers (13-3) – Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league right now, and the offense is still near unstoppable. The problem is that the defense has the opposite problem. The Packers took some steps to fix that in the offseason, it remains to be seen how successful that will be. However, they are still the elite team in the conference.
2. Chicago Bears (10-6) – People have quickly forgotten that the Bears were actually solid last season, on their way to a playoff berth, until Cutler got injured. He’s back now, with a new weapon in Brandon Marshall, Forte has been resigned, and the defense is still formidable. The Bears will compete.
3. Detroit Lions (8-8) – Detroit is the hot pick this offseason, and they have reason to be excited – the Lions have reason to hope for the first time since Barry Sanders retired. When they’re both healthy, the Stafford-Johnson combo is absolutely lethal. The defense has improved, but I doubt it will be enough to carry them through this tough division. They will remain a factor, though, with an offense that could take off at any moment.
4. Minnesota Vikings (3-13) – The Vikings were pretty terrible with Adrian Peterson for most of the season. Sure, he’s back, with an absurdly quick recovery from an ACL injury, but will he be ready? Well he be enough to carry this franchise? Doubtful – and I have less confidence that Ponder can do it, either.

NFC West

1. San Francisco 49ers (11-5) – A lot of things fell right for the 49ers last year, and they returned their entire fearsome defense. The offense added potentially potent weapons in Randy Moss and Mario Manningham, but can Alex Smith get them the ball before they get disgruntled? Can Frank Gore stay healthy? The 49ers will be a powerful factor in a weak division, but whether or not Alex Smith can finally mature will determine if they can make it very far in the playoffs.
2. Seattle Seahawks (9-7) – Seattle was better than the credit they received in 2011. Their defense was surprisingly stout. However, they had a serious crisis at quarterback, which they did their best to address in the offseason. They spent big bucks on Matt Flynn, only to have him upstaged by their rookie in the preseason, who was named the starter. This team may have a bright future, but it may be a tough growing process. It certainly helps being in the sewer division of the NFL.
3. St Louis Rams (5-11) – The Rams do have some talented young prospects, but they fell flat last season, and likely won’t turn it around much this year. It was a smart forward-looking move to trade away the RG3 pick to Washington – Sam Bradford shows flashes of talent, and those extra picks will be welcome. The Rams are doing the right things, but it won’t help them this year.
4. Arizona Cardinals (5-11) – I feel bad for Larry Fitzgerald. One of the most talented received in the league, with no one worthwhile to back him up on that side of the ball. The defense isn’t bad, but the offense really is.

NFC South

1. New Orleans Saints (10-6) – People are writing off the saints due to their various suspension, but there’s one thing that makes this team go, and he’s still leading the offense – Drew Brees. Also, don’t forget what happened the last time a team was slammed with this many sanctions…the 2007 Patriots went into “FU mode” and ran off a 16-0 season.
2. Atlanta Falcons (9-7) – I have a habit of consistently underrating the Falcons, and it’s going to continue. I just don’t think much of them. Matt Ryan hasn’t proven he can win yet, and I’ve never been much of a fan of Turner. They have one of the best 1-2 punches at WR in the NFL, but Tony Gonzales is aging. They’ll still be a talented team, but I don’t see them winning the division.
3. Carolina Panthers (7-9) – Cam Newton was more of a factor than anyone ever expected last season, and he should improve in his sophomore season. However, Steve Smith is a year old, and the defense is still pretty terrible. They won’t scare too many teams.
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-10) – A lot of people are high on the Bucs this year. I’m not. I’m not a believer in Freeman, and I don’t think Raheem Morris was really the cause of their problems.

AFC East

1. New England Patriots (13-3) – The Patriots added the best target Brady has had since Randy Moss left, and their two-TE setup was dominant last season. They aren’t getting any younger, though. They should win their division comfortably, at any rate.
2. New York Jets (9-7) – The Jets window may be closing. Sanchez just hasn’t shown the improvement to take the offense to the next level, Greene isn’t impressive, and Tebow will bring more marketing dollars than wins. The defense is still solid, and Revis is still virtually impenetrable, but the Jets are slipping.
3. Miami Dolphins (8-8) – After a horrendous start, the Dolphins really turned it around at the end of the season. I have to wonder where the offense will end up with the loss of Brandon Marshall and Ryan Tannehill starting at QB. This team is tough to gauge, but I think the offense will prevent them from continuing last season’s strong finish.
4. Buffalo Bills (7-9) – Ryan Fitzpatrick may have started strong, and may have been playing hurt, but he sure seemed to prove his “overrated” status last season. Mario Williams is a freak, but the Bills will struggle again this year.

AFC North

1. Baltimore Ravens (11-5) – Hmm. I have mixed feelings about the Ravens. One on hand, they were quite impressive last season, getting painfully close to making the Superbowl, and despite his lack of acclaim from the general public, Flacco has been solid. However, this has always been a defensive team, and while they will still be solid, losing Suggs to injury hurts – a lot. And while Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are still scary, they’re not as scary as they used to be. I still have them on top of the division, mainly because I don’t think it’s the powerhouse it once was, but I’m skeptical.
2. Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) – Everyone wrote off the Bengals last year, but somehow they turned the ship around and were respectable. The defense was solid, and Andy Dalton did better than anyone expected. I put them here more because of my lack of confidence in the Steelers than anything, but they might surprise us and continue their upward trend.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-9) – I’m sure I’ll be blasted for this pick, but I was blasted for saying the Ravens would beat them last year, and how did that end up? Look, the defense is aging, the offensive line is still terrible, and Mendenhall is hurt. I’m past my days of doubting Roethlsiberger’s abilities, but I just don’t think he can overcome their other issues on offense, even with Mike Wallace back.
4. Cleveland Browns (2-14) – Eh, do I have to write about the Browns? I don’t want to.

AFC West

1. Denver Broncos (10-6) – Yes, I think Peyton Manning will be enough of a factor to keep this team to the top of their division, even with pundits screaming about his arm strength. This team won a playoff game with Tim Tebow – and a recovering Peyton Manning is still far better than Tim Tebow. The defense won them games last year, and is largely back. If Peyton stays healthy, this will be the team to beat in the AFC West.
2. San Diego Chargers (9-7) – Phillip Rivers is still among the better QBs in the league, but he lost some weapons and Ryan Matthews is starting the season hurt. They should still be a factor, as they tend to start slow and finish strong, but they’ll need to finish stronger than usual now that Peyton Manning is headlining a division rival. This could be Turner's last stand.
3. Oakland Raiders (8-8) – Carson Palmer, thrust into their offense midseason, was the best QB the Raiders have had in years. He has some solid weapons to work with, and if they click, the Raiders might overtake San Diego in the 2 spot. I have doubts about their defense, though.
4. Kansas City Chiefs (6-10) – Never liked their QB. Never liked their coach. Overrated RBs. They didn’t do enough to change their fortunes. Another last place division finish for Kansas City.

AFC South

1. Indianapolis Colts (9-7) – Controversial pick, but hey, what fun is a set of NFL picks without its share of controversy? Andrew Luck is the best QB prospect since his predecessor, and he’s looked worthy of the hype in the preseason. This team finished a horrendous 2-14 last year, but they never expected to go the year without Peyton, and the entire team was built around him. Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney may not be spring chickens, but they’ll be back, and will help pick up the slack for Luck. He’ll have his growing pains, but I still have them on top of the division, as much as I think Irsay deserves to be burned for dumping Manning.
2. Houston Texans (8-8) – Consider it this way – it’s really more that I’m putting the Texans at #2 than I am putting the Colts at #1. They have some individual beasts – Johnson and Foster are both incredible, but I’ve never liked Schaub and that hasn’t changed. A few years ago the Texans were building a fantastic young defense to make up for it, but they’ve lost Williams and Ryans in the last two offseasons, which hurts.
3. Tennessee Titans (6-10) – I live in Seattle, and while the locals fawn over Jake Locker, I was never very impressed. It’s certainly possible that Chris Johnson returns to form, however, there’s really not much else to like on this team. The defense isn’t the force it once was, and the rest of the offense is nothing to be scared of. I see another disappointing season here.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12) – MJD finally reporting is very good news for the Jaguars – but unfortunately, it’s about the only good news they’ve had this year. This Gabbert-led squad will struggle again.

Playoffs

Wildcard Round

Saints (3) vs Cowboys (6) – Dallas scores an upset in a shootout.
Eagles (4) vs Bears (5) – Eagles win a grinder over Cutler’s Bears.
Broncos (3) vs Jets (6) – Peyton comes to life.
Colts (4) vs Chargers (5) – Andrew Luck can’t quite handle the playoff pressure yet.

Divisional Round

Packers (1) vs Cowboys (6) – Packers trounce the overmatched Cowboys in Lambeau.
49ers (2) vs Eagles (4) – Alex Smith is unable to overcome the Eagles secondary.
Patriots (1) vs Chargers (5) – In a shocker, the Patriots fall to Rivers.
Ravens (2) vs Broncos (3) – The Broncos defense overwhelms Baltimore.

Conference Championships

Packers (1) vs Eagles (4) – Aaron Rodgers succeeds where Alex Smith failed.
Broncos (3) vs Chargers (5) – Peyton’s back in the big game, Turner's playoff woes continue.

Superbowl

Broncos over Packers – The Broncos get their first championship in 15 years.

Is it advisable to have 3/4 bye teams losing in the divisional round? Probably not. Do people usually win the Superbowl following four neck surgeries? Typically, no. But hey...that's what makes it fun. Let's get this season started!!

Previous years:

Last edited:

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I don't know - broncos didn't look too hot in preseason. Especially manning. And my prediction for the cowboys: Dez Bryant beats up his grandma.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Oh boy, here we go. In before the usual suspects show up to rip Deeko.

I think the Packers will win the NFC and it will be between the Ravens and Pats in the AFC. I think the Ravens are a better team than the Pats and I thought they were a better team last year as well.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I don't know - broncos didn't look too hot in preseason. Especially manning. And my prediction for the cowboys: Dez Bryant beats up his grandma.

I anticipate Peyton will get better as the season goes on, both with his health and his comfort in the offense. You're probably right about Dez, but she'll deny it afterwards.

Besides, I don't think you're supposed to be posting on Anandtech right now, are you?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Deeko picked the Eagles? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Deeko, I think you meant Turner:

Deeko said:
2. San Diego Chargers (9-7) – Phillip Rivers is still among the better QBs in the league, but he lost some weapons and Ryan Matthews is starting the season hurt. They should still be a factor, as they tend to start slow and finish strong, but they’ll need to finish stronger than usual now that Peyton Manning is headlining a division rival. This could be Schottenheimer’s last stand.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
I really don't see how you think the Broncos will win the AFC let alone the superbowl.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I enjoy reading your fictional stories every year, keep up the good work.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Deeko, I think you meant Turner:

Heh, you're right. In fact, I said it twice, but while I wrote it I was picturing Norv Turner's face. Whoops.

I really don't see how you think the Broncos will win the AFC let alone the superbowl.

I have not been shy in the past regarding my adulation of Peyton Manning, and the Broncos won their division and a playoff game without him.

Deeko picked the Eagles? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

I pick the Eagles more often than people seem to remember...begrudgingly of course.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
As a Giant fan, you do not incur my wrath by picking them to miss the playoffs. Please continue. It's a spreading trend. And whenever everyone picks them to have a terrible season, they win the SuperBowl.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Detroit is the hot "bust" pick this season...you're a season late to use that phrase. But at least you're on the same page as everybody else.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Chargers and Broncos? You're underrating KC big time.

And fwiw - I believe that NE is fielding one of the youngest teams in the league. Only Brady is old and we know he doesn't suck.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Chargers and Broncos?

And fwiw - I believe that NE is fielding one of the youngest teams in the league. Only Brady is old and we know he doesn't suck.

Chargers may be a stretch, but eh, what's written is written. And you're right, I should have said Brady, not the team as a whole. They've jettisoned a lot of their older pieces.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Oh, and for the record, go Colts!

538491_10151811235125110_1795355371_n.jpg

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004
i have not even read this yet but i just wanted to say thanks for posting this. its one of the things i look forward to during the NFL season.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm just gonna root for the Steelers and against the Packers. It'd be cool if the Ravens lost a lot too :p

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Broncos and Chargers in the AFC Championship. Thanks for the laugh! ;)

What am I supposed to say, Patriots and Ravens, the two teams that made it last year? What fun is that?

One controversial pick I haven't seen anyone mention is the Texans going 8-8. I've heard a some analysts have them in the Superbowl and allmost all of them have them as division champs.

Yea, I've just really never had faith in Schaub, and I think the defense will take a bigger hit from their losses than most others. We'll see though. If the Andrew Luck doesn't acclimate to the NFL as quickly as I'm expecting, the Texans will crush that division, for the simple fact that the rest of the teams are terrible.

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
Everything looks good except for the Colts and Texans. What a joke

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I'd love to believe that the Ravens will win their division again but I'm just not seeing it unless Joe Flacco really turns into a top-tier quarterback this year. Suggs is out for at least half the season, Ed Reed is a whiny prima donna who's contributing less and less, the O-line probably got weaker during the off season and this year's draft class doesn't look like anything special. Fortunately it looks like a mediocre year for the Steelers as well, but I think the Bengals will surprise people and win the division.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Niners have a pretty tough schedule this year and for them to snag 13 wins again probably won't happen, especially if they lose a divisional matchup against the Seahawks in Seattle.

Packers (away)
Lions
Giants
Saints (away)
Patriots (away)