Deecent impulse buy?

Mar 13, 2005
My wife has wanted a laptop forever, and I found a deal at office depot for $550 with a possibility of getting a $125 off rebate. The model I got is a Gateway 4012GZ and the specs are:

? Processor operates at 1.50GHz (Celery. )
? 512MB memory
? 80GB hard drive
? DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
? Windows® XP Home
? Wireless 802.11g capable (125Mbps)
? SD card reader
? Modem
? USB2 and 1394

Plus it is thin and light. Did I make a decent blind buy?

Shadow

Mar 13, 2005
Forgot to say that it won't be used for any games, it will be internet and music mostly, and my currnt system that I have is an Athlon(xp) 1.14 ghz so even if it isn't the fastest notebook it's not like she is used to a quick cpu :)

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
That's not a bad deal at all, especially for a laptop. What's the screen size?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: shadowhawk2020
Is the Celeron M a good processor? I haven't looked at laptops alot, and I am not up do speed on them...

It's alright, it works fine for what your wife does, but what people look for in new laptops these days are Pentium Ms.

t3h l337 n3wb

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2005
What's the battery life? It's a pretty good deal, only $550. Celeron M's use less power than Celerons, and they have SpeedStep, allowing them to automatically clock down when idling, and clock right back up when under load again. Pentium M's have like super SpeedStep, allowing them to save TONS of energy, therefore increasing battery time a lot.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
Low end pentium M would've added at least 500 bucks to the price. 550 for a laptop is damn good, no matter what the specs. A couple years ago a 1550 laptop would have been low-priced.

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
when i bought my wife a laptop (a dell inspiron 700m with the 35% off coupon that was floating around at one point), i mostly looked for the weight. that is a surprisingly important factor. i looked for something between 4 and 5 lbs. the keyboard is a little cramped in the one i got, but it's a beautiful machine and she's very happy with it. there may be similar coupons out there right now.

watch out for the weight, and if she actually plans on using it on her lap, see if you find any reviews that say that it runs hot.

also, look at the configuration of all of the ports. the ibm t42, for instance, only has usb ports on the left hand side, which i find inconvenient since i like to plug in a usb mouse on the right side. it also lacks a windows key, which i use extensively. the sony pcg-v505dc2 (which is what i'm currently typing on) is decent, but it bugs me that i need to use a function key to access the page-up and page-down. that probably wouldn't bother my wife though since i don't think she uses those keys.

for myself, i tend to look at the specs of the machine (processor speed, screen size, etc). for my wife, it was mostly about the ergonomics.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
ask her if she likes it. If she says yes, then nobody's comments in this thread means a thing!

If she likes it, and you liked the cost, you WIN!

No ifs, ands, buts, and never look back!

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
$425 for a decent laptop....nice. Where did you get it? I'd buy one of these for my wife. I don't remember seeing such a sweet deal at my local office depot.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Someone was selling a Sempron based lappy for $399. AR a week or so ago. A build it yourself model from HP I think. Probably walk all over that Celery.

.bh.

shoRunner

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2004
Originally posted by: slash196
Low end pentium M would've added at least 500 bucks to the price. 550 for a laptop is damn good, no matter what the specs. A couple years ago a 1550 laptop would have been low-priced.

the current celeron m's are the exact same as the 1st gen pentium m's(banias core). so they are very good processors for the price.

Mar 13, 2005
It is $550 out the door, you have to add any item to your cart, put in zip code 21128, then search for sku# 319232, add it to your cart. Remove the other item, and add the coupon 41267516 for $30 for a total of $551(after tax). Which I am happy with, but Thursday supposedly if you buy a laptop instore you should be able to get a $125 MIR, so I ordered it and it will arrive on Tuesday, I won't open it so I might be able to return/rebuy it Thursday. I know the manager at OD so hopefully he will let me :)

Shadow

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Zepper
Someone was selling a Sempron based lappy for $399. AR a week or so ago. A build it yourself model from HP I think. Probably walk all over that Celery.

.bh.

1. There are no rebates a huge + for me. 2. this will be here tuesday so I don't have to wait. 3. This has an 80gb HD and 512 mb of ram which is double both the amounts than the sempron, plus I have had nothing but good luck with gateway and nothing but bad luck with HP...

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Zepper

.bh.

1. There are no rebates a huge + for me. 2. this will be here tuesday so I don't have to wait. 3. This has an 80gb HD and 512 mb of ram which is double both the amounts than the sempron, plus I have had nothing but good luck with gateway and nothing but bad luck with HP...