Dedicated DC, power requirement opinions

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
I am in a situation: I am heavily into Distributed computing (unfortunately for another team)and I am slowly working on a mini-farm. I will try to make this as short as possible and this will kind of be a multipart question.

Systems in need:

I currently have 3 systems possibly in need of upgraded psu's. How much power recommended for ea? I prefer modular psu's since they do not require much on hardware

Rig 1:
Gigabyte x58/UD4P, I7 920@ 4ghz
1 HDD, 1 Optical, 5-6 fans
Currently 1 oc'd GTX 275@ 1620 shaders: will end up being 3x GTX 275's
Current psu, old OCZ 600w adj rail psu 38A across 12v rails (2 if I recall)
I think a good 950w or better will be needed?

Rig 2: May sell and go x58, not sure yet
Gigabyte P55/P55M-UD4P, X3440@4ghz
1HDD, currently 2 fans
Currently 2 GTX 260@1692 Shaders (still testing)
Current psu: Enhance 5150G or GH
I will run 2 GTX 260's, but may upgrade in the future
Will my OCZ run 2 GTX 260's on this one?

Rig 3:NOT BUILT YET
This system will be a dedicated DC rig and will be somewhat similar to Rig 1, but no optical and probably less fans.
It will run 3 GTX 260's or better.
This rig will be built by next weekend

Sorry for the long post, but would appreciate you opinions please.
IS this good and enough for what? I plan to get something similar to linked psu, but I think that is only good for 2 gpu's. I am trying to stay fairly cheap atm, or mught just get another Enermax Revo and call it good for years to come, but do not really want to pay the initial $100. However the revo would only be approx $50 more in the end.

I think this covers it.

Last edited:

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I am in a situation: I am heavily into Distributed computing (unfortunately for another team)
There's nothing that says you can't crunch for 2 teams at once.... ;)

Rig 1: 950W+ sounds about right.

Rig 2: The OCZ should be fine for 2 260s if they are 55nm.

Rig 3: The Seventeam is decent. The Antec CP-850 is a very good deal, although it limits you to a select few cases.

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
ha ha, I know I can fold for more than 1 team. I used to fold for AMDforums back in the day when you could only use your cpu and make very little progress.

anyway, I found out that I may have another issue. My system that has the OCZ in it started having problems this afternnon. everything has been great for months. Then all of a sudden today the system with just shut down all by itself. I have to turn the pwer off and then on again before I can press the power button. Its never been an issue till today. I think its slowly going out or something.
The lastest thing I have done was update drivers and boinc, but that was a few days ago now. I am currently in the process of troubleshooting, but I think its the psu, cannot handle the load anymore. I could and hope that I am wrong, but I just don't know at this point.

Also I thin I mentioned that this ocz is older and only has 38A across 2 rails. The gtx 275's recommend 40a I think :oops: :whiste:

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
when you could only use your cpu and make very little progress.
My i7 is crunching a bigadv F@H WU & is currently on pace for 27-28k ppd.

Also I thin I mentioned that this ocz is older and only has 38A across 2 rails. The gtx 275's recommend 40a I think :oops: :whiste:
The actual power consumption of that system should be less than 25A on 12V.

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
My i7 is crunching a bigadv F@H WU & is currently on pace for 27-28k ppd.

The actual power consumption of that system should be less than 25A on 12V.

I was talking the days when dual core AMD/Opteron was barely coming around.

I think my OCZ is dying:(
I did some trouble shooting, may have to further proceed. Conclusion thus far: PSU
Problem: Computer kept shutting down, had to switch psu off/on to even get the power button to work and repower the system.

System is currently@ 3.8ghz/1.3v 920C0. I ran WCG at this setting with GPU(GTX 275) at default clocks; still shut down.
Ran CPU at stock, but still ran GPU, still shut down.
Lastly, I ran CPU@ 3.8, no gpu folding...no problems.

I took the GTX 275 and put into another system, flawless.
Currently running CPU@3.8/GTX260@1654shaders on the OCZ system: Working great. I might be having oc issues on card, but thats trial/error. System has not shut down in over 12 hrs now.

Bottom line, PSU must not be able to handle the load of the CPU@3.8 and GTX 275 anymore, but it does still have some life in it.

Maybe I am overlooking something; it coldn't be hardware related.

I noticed you run a system similar, but you are running a single ati gpu. You have a 750w psu. I also plan to setup 1 computer on the bigadv wu; I know its doing really well.

So my thoughts are: I will eventially need a new psu. 750 possibly/850w for dual GTX 275's
950 or more for 3 cards.
Currently the only 2 manufacturers I am looking at really are Enermax and Corsair, possibly antec. They seem to be the best for the price. I know there are others, but seem like they cost more as well.

I appreciate your help so far

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I noticed you run a system similar, but you are running a single ati gpu. You have a 750w psu. I also plan to setup 1 computer on the bigadv wu; I know its doing really well.

I'll be getting a pair of new video cards, probably soon since the annual TA Folding race is in December. I'm thinking I should have picked up some GTX260s when they were around $150.