Decisions Decisions.... Should we drive or fly to key west?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
My wife and I, along with two of our good friends are going back down to Key West in two months or so, gonna start an annual excursion until we have kids...

We all live in Sarasota, just south of Tampa.

Last year we took the ferry down from Ft. Myers, horrid trip. I normally don't get seasick, but it was really really bad choppy seas combined with the overwhelming odor of vomit that made me sick too. To top it off the return trip was canceled (apparently happens quite often), so we had to rent a car and drive back anyway.

I figure 2 Tanks of Gas Each Way if we Drive, $35/tank, so $35/person total

If we Fly, tickets are $200 including tax roundtrip.

Driving: 7-8 Hours
Flying: 45 Minutes

hmmmm... worth $165/person to save 6-7 hours of 4 people crammed in a car? :)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I'd fly, but that's just me. Be sure to check out the Bourbon St. Bar on Duval St... :p

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
how many days do you have for the trip? i guess you'd drive it all in one day each way anyway

i'd drive

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
we drove it wasn't so bad
with 5 people too
you also get to bring more stuff and not be so anal about bag space

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
how many days do you have for the trip? i guess you'd drive it all in one day each way anyway

i'd drive

Thurs-Mon

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Flight = 45min + driving to airport + getting there early for flight + delays + waiting for luggage

Make sure you factor that in.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
The overseas highway is half the fun of a visit to the keys. For your first trip I would drive.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas
The overseas highway is half the fun of a visit to the keys. For your first trip I would drive.

lol, except when there is an accident on it which happened to use 6-7 years ago... we were stuck for hours.

nineball9

Aug 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Linflas
I agree - the keys' highway is quite a spectacular drive, or at least it was for me. Drove to Key West on a wonderful sunny day. Then again, I don't live in Fla; we flew to Miami and drove to Key West. Also had several drivers which helps. Driving at night, or on an overcast day (or worse, during an approaching hurricane) would not be much fun though.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
When going to Key West, the drive through the keys is part of the fun. I usually fly into Lauderdale and rent a car (get a convertible).
Have fun!

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
When I went to Key West, we drove from Birmingham, AL all the way down. Your trip is rather short in comparison. IIRC the best part of that trip was driving through the keys. I loved it.

If a trip is less than 10 hours I usually just drive it. More than 10 it's time to hop on a plane.. but that's just me. :)

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
We went one year and timed it so we could hit the Keys around sunrise. It was an amazing sight. Pretty long trip for us (from TN) but we were also poor college students. Given the choice now I'd still drive.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Flying will save some time but you have to figure on getting to the airport, leaving early to get there, picking up bags on arrival, renting a car, etc. Probably a wash after all that. I'd probably drive it just because those bridges are pretty cool and I've never been there.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
Definitely drive. There are lots of cool places to check out on the way down to Key West...plus the views are amazing.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Drive! The road in and out of Key West is something everyone should experience. :)

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Drive. The scenery along the road is awesome.

*after Miami...

I vote for the drive, atleast after Miami (or Homestead for that matter).
One of the best drives in America for sure.

Taking the turnpike from Central Florida (isnt that where you live?) is $$$$. What you should do is take I95 to just north of Miami then finish the rest on the turnpike.

*edit
whoops just saw you are near I75, just take that to gator alley and they the turnpike. Leave early in the morning so you will get in Keywest in the late afternoon. :)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
lol, i'm taking it some of you didn't read my OP? ;)

I'll also clarify a few things... I've lived in FL for about 16 years and have been to key west about 5-6 times. I've seen the scenery enough that it dosen't really make the drive all the more better or worse, so that isn't a factor i'm considering :)

Also to buck, I live in Southwest FL, so we just shoot down I-75 across Alligator Alley then turn south outside Ft. Lauderdale.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Gah, forgive me buddy.

I used to live in Cocoa Beach and have been to key west alot myself (never flew though). I always looked forward to the drive after homestead, it never gets old to me.

I am jealous, I went there last year for a bit and it was just as much fun as it always is. However, this past time, we got to snorkel pretty damn close to two 6' sharks. Have fun.