Deciding on X370 board

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
Looking for some advice to help me choose the best X370 board to suit my needs. The PC will be used for mainly photo and video editing, so bright coloured LEDs are a negative (though seem almost unavoidable).

I'm looking to run a Quadro M2000 for 4k 10 bit output to one screen and HD 8 bit output to another. Then also a GeForce card (probably a 1060 or 1070) for doing the graphics work, not for any actual display.

I'm mainly thinking of getting the Biostar X370 GT5. The 2nd x16 PCI-e slot is only x4 speed, but I guess that should be fine for the Quadro?

The ASUS Prime X370 Pro also looks reasonable. But it doesn't support 3200Mhz RAM (Haven't decided on the RAM yet but thinking 2x Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 sticks). And it costs more than the Biostar.

Then of course there are the higher end boards, like the AsRock TaiChi. Good specs, but costs about 80% more than the Biostar GT5 (in the UK).

The main thing that puts me off the Biostar is the last BIOS update was over a month ago. I realise that's not exactly a long time, but given the immaturity of AM4 I would have thought there might have been more updates than that.

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
As far as quality of components is concerned, Asus prime x370 pro seems to be the best choice (and the one i wanted to get, but goofed up and it was already too late to replace my order):

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

Google translating a paragraph about asus in that link:

"- A price / performance tip is currently the ASUS Prime X370-Pro. Similarly expensive competition by MSI or ASRock can also shine with digital controllers, but not synonymous with such a high-quality phase layout or NexFETs keep up. "

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Looking for some advice to help me choose the best X370 board to suit my needs. The PC will be used for mainly photo and video editing, so bright coloured LEDs are a negative (though seem almost unavoidable).

I'm looking to run a Quadro M2000 for 4k 10 bit output to one screen and HD 8 bit output to another. Then also a GeForce card (probably a 1060 or 1070) for doing the graphics work, not for any actual display.

I'm mainly thinking of getting the Biostar X370 GT5. The 2nd x16 PCI-e slot is only x4 speed, but I guess that should be fine for the Quadro?

The ASUS Prime X370 Pro also looks reasonable. But it doesn't support 3200Mhz RAM (Haven't decided on the RAM yet but thinking 2x Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 sticks). And it costs more than the Biostar.

Then of course there are the higher end boards, like the AsRock TaiChi. Good specs, but costs about 80% more than the Biostar GT5 (in the UK).

The main thing that puts me off the Biostar is the last BIOS update was over a month ago. I realise that's not exactly a long time, but given the immaturity of AM4 I would have thought there might have been more updates than that.

Prime X370 certainly supports 3200 RAM. Check out my sig.

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
Thanks both. Specs and user reviews for the Prime X370 indicated it didn't support running RAM above 3000, so good to know it is possible. Looks like that board is probably my best bet then.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
OP I should have looked a little harder at your post. I'm not aware of any board that supports 3200 RAM in a 2x16GB configuration.

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
I'm guessing that's a BIOS issue, that should hopefully be resolved in time? Here DuronBurgerMan said they did have 16GB sticks running at near 3000 before a BIOS update.