Decided to return XFX 6950 unopened

Alaska Wolf

Dec 18, 2010
It's being rerouted. I called TigerDirect and they contacted UPS . It's on it's way back to them before I received it.

12/21/2010 9:29 A.M. THE SHIPPER HAS REQUESTED A DELIVERY INTERCEPT FOR THIS PACKAGE / RETURN TO SENDER PENDING

THIS was the proverbial straw:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1012ahotfix.aspx

NO WAY.

I give up, I'm going to pay the extra dough and go for a GTX-570 once TigerDirect credits my card back.

Last edited by a moderator:

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I don't get it? But okay it's not like the GTX is a bad card to begin with.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
can you explain what it is about the 10.12a hotfix that bothers you? I am not trying to be a wise guy, I just have no idea whats going on with it.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'd like to know too. Except for the size of the file, I don't see what could be the problem...

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Maybe it's the numerous hotfixes. It's bad enough to have to install a new driver every month, but every week or more. Didn't a recent driver need 5 hotfixes.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
It's being rerouted. I called TigerDirect and they contacted UPS . It's on it's way back to them before I received it.

12/21/2010 9:29 A.M. THE SHIPPER HAS REQUESTED A DELIVERY INTERCEPT FOR THIS PACKAGE / RETURN TO SENDER PENDING

NO WAY.

I give up, I'm going to pay the extra dough and go for a GTX-570 once TigerDirect credits my card back.

Insofar as bang-for-buck, both the 6950 and gtx570 are about equal so you really can't go wrong performance wise with either one. If you do anything with cuda, or like the idea of physx, then you will be happier with the gtx570.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Didn't a recent driver need 5 hotfixes.

Need?

I'm still running the 10.10 drivers. You don't *need* to install the latest driver every time one gets released. IMO it's better to have the option to use an updated driver on a weekly basis than not use it.

Weren't people complaining about lack of driver updates when they only released a new driver every 3-4 months? Now a new driver every week is too often? Seriously, is that really a problem?

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Your mad because of a hotfix? Do you know what the hotfix was for?

10.12 was released before the release of the 69xx series, the hotfix was probably added to support the 69xx when they launched.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

NO WAY.

I think you just had buyer's remorse, and was just looking for a excuse.
Whatever.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Having cards on both sides of the playing field, I will give the "stability" and "easy use out of the box" edge to Nvidia. However, my HD 5770 has been a great card, and I'd be more than happy to buy another AMD card in the future.

For me, the power / heat / noise advantage, and the fact that AMD chooses to include DisplayPort on their cards are what's swaying me towards them for my next purchase.

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Your mad because of a hotfix? Do you know what the hotfix was for?

10.12 was released before the release of the 69xx series, the hotfix was probably added to support the 69xx when they launched.

Exactly. This is similar to the Nvidia drivers that came out right after the release of their recent card(s) that ONLY supports the GTX 570 / GTX 580. The difference is, Nvidia just bundles a new driver number onto it rather than calling it a "hotfix" (which is misleading on AMD's part; marketing should jump on this).

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Having cards on both sides of the playing field, I will give the "stability" and "easy use out of the box" edge to Nvidia. However, my HD 5770 has been a great card, and I'd be more than happy to buy another AMD card in the future.

For me, the power / heat / noise, and the fact that AMD chooses to include DisplayPort on their cards are what's swaying me towards them for my next purchase.

You do realize that since the gtx460 was released, for the most part both companies have been on a fairly equal playing field when it comes to power, heat, and noise?

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
You do realize that since the gtx460 was released, for the most part both companies have been on a fairly equal playing field when it comes to power, heat, and noise?

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/20126/15

Under load, Nvidia's stock coolers simply outperform AMD's. The GTX 570's GPU temperature exactly matches the 6970's, the two cards' power draw is only 5W apart, yet the GTX 570 is 2.5 dB quieter.

Indeed.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Need?

I'm still running the 10.10 drivers. You don't *need* to install the latest driver every time one gets released. IMO it's better to have the option to use an updated driver on a weekly basis than not use it.
Are you saying that the hotfixes are NOT fixes for major bugs, but new features and performance improvements?
Because if they are for major bugs then they are indeed needed.

Weren't people complaining about lack of driver updates when they only released a new driver every 3-4 months? Now a new driver every week is too often? Seriously, is that really a problem?

Yes, people did complain about that a lot. Just shows that people don't know what is good for them and will never ever be grateful when you give them what they asked for.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/20126/15

Under load, Nvidia's stock coolers simply outperform AMD's. The GTX 570's GPU temperature exactly matches the 6970's, the two cards' power draw is only 5W apart, yet the GTX 570 is 2.5 dB quieter.

Indeed.

How long did it take to find those numbers?

Anandtech shows a 21W difference under load between 570/6970 with Crysis and and 85W difference with Furmark, both in AMD's favor. Idle temps tied and under load with Crysis, AMD was 4 degrees cooler, Furmark load, 5 degrees cooler. Idle, noise was 0.4dB in Nvidia's favor, and under load 3.3dB in favor of AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/24

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This does sound like buyer's remorse. I'm still not seeing a good reason why 10.12a is "the proverbial [last] straw":

"AMD Catalyst driver 10.12a Hotfix Feature:

* AMD Catalyst driver support for systems running Windows® 7 / Windows Vista® with an AMD Radeon™ HD 69xx series graphics card installed
* Includes support for 5x1 AMD Eyefinity display configurations"

I'll keep enjoying my 6850 with no need for this hotfix.

Just because a new driver is released doesn't mean you must download it. With my old 4870 I went at least a year without needing to install any of the driver updates and had no problem playing games like Fallout 3, Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009

NO WAY.

smiley-73.gif
trying to get a card back before the Holidays.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So, you're willing to pay an obscene premium for the latest and greatest but, you don't want to deal with s hot fix?

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
The funny thing is, it's not even a majore hotfix, all it did was add support for the new cards and guess what? nVidia does this too...lol.