decent project car?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
no shockwave, i am NOT putting a ls1 into a bmw 318is. although i would want to.

and no, i wasnt really considering an RX-7, that is my cousins car not mine, it was fun to drive, but prolly not the easiest to maintain.

looks, ehh, dont have to have them.

speed/power. i like muscle cars. my uncle has an old elcamino with a 327 small block dropped in it. he is currently working on putting a 440 into a limited edition car(completely forget the car name)

seriously, i would spend the least on looks, most on the other stuff.

GTO is gunna cost money. id have to go junkyard diving to find a nice one.

i think my first project might be an R/C car. go junkyard diving, and buy the necessary equipment for that.

but, would like ideas on project cars right now.

MIKE

was that you posting the thread about a white 318 for "ls1 project" that wasnt gonna happen...ever?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Cheap - Easy - Fast? This usually doesn?t compute. Take two.

But if you?re reasonably mechanically adept buy some craftsman tools. Then get any rwd V8 Chevy product and drop a 600hp crate engine in it. But before you do anything go through it completely and don't forget to upgrade the suspension and brakes. Oh and it would be good if it was drivable titled and mostly rust free.

Good luck

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not much of a project car, but... Link :):heart:

Otherwise, if you want CHEAP, then Civic.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
Not much of a project car, but... Link :):heart:

Otherwise, if you want CHEAP, then Civic.

Despite all the trash-talk and ricer stigma surrounding them, an Civic with a junkyard turbo on it would be a good, cheap, easy, and "fairly fast" first project. :)

- M4H

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: FlashG
Cheap - Easy - Fast? This usually doesn?t compute. Take two.

But if you?re reasonably mechanically adept buy some craftsman tools. Then get any rwd V8 Chevy product and drop a 600hp crate engine in it. But before you do anything go through it completely and don't forget to upgrade the suspension and brakes. Oh and it would be good if it was drivable titled and mostly rust free.

Good luck

i own enough tools to do the timing on an older car. (yes, i have the little gun thingy)

MIKE

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: fredtam
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
240z or 260z
Again a Z.
While I once owned a 240 and love them, a straight rust-free Z is not easy to find, and any owner who had one would probably want a pretty penny for it. Plus, the first thing you'd have to do when you bought one would be to replace those hideous dual sidedraft carbs and that's a few hundred right there. Headers, exhaust, suspension, and camshafts would be the minimum requirements next as the stock engine only had ~150 hp. Beware the weak and overly complicated rear end that likes to blow up on clutch drops. Replace all the electrical, especially the typical-to-early-70s-Japanese-only-5-keys-per-model-per-year ignition. And expect rattles and squeaks. Lots of them.

Beautiful cars though :)

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
240z or 260z
Again a Z.
While I once owned a 240 and love them, a straight rust-free Z is not easy to find, and any owner who had one would probably want a pretty penny for it. Plus, the first thing you'd have to do when you bought one would be to replace those hideous dual sidedraft carbs and that's a few hundred right there. Headers, exhaust, suspension, and camshafts would be the minimum requirements next as the stock engine only had ~150 hp. Beware the weak and overly complicated rear end that likes to blow up on clutch drops. Replace all the electrical, especially the typical-to-early-70s-Japanese-only-5-keys-per-model-per-year ignition. And expect rattles and squeaks. Lots of them.

Sorry. Thats my definition of a "project" car. I've redone a dozen or so Zs (240,260,280zx).

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I would have recommended the older British cars, but they are hard to find without rust. The ones without rust have generally already been restored. I'll mess with just about anything when working on a car, but I don't do bodywork. It's too much of a pain and to get bodywork done right is nothing but $$$$.

ZV

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
240z or 260z
Again a Z.

Sorry. Thats my definition of a "project" car. I've redone a dozen or so Zs (240,260,280zx).

Oh no, I agree. It's just that the OP said "CHEAP!!" :)