decent games to play on my macbook pro

Jun 14, 2003
so i have one of the new macbook pros, with the 8600GT

im not 100% on the clocks but i think the core is only 5mhz down on nvidias stock specs for the mobile 8600GT (i think stock is 475Mhz, so this runs 470) however the shader core seems to be the same, and then the memory is actually underclocked by 100Mhz (600 vs 700)

so its not too bad, can probably get the mem back up to stock pretty easy.

anyway what decent games can i have on it? im not a huge pc gamer anymore since i have a 360 but i do enjoy the odd game on a pc

i have CNC3 but i just get tired of it really quick, i also have a classic in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. CNC seems to run close to its FPS cap most of the time so thats good.

just looking for games where i can have a short blast and then leave it. also games with good single player stories because i dont always have internet.

will HL2/CS: S work ok on it? i remember playing it fluidly maxed out on a A64 3200+, 1gb of ram and a 6800GT so i should be good right? used to love a couple of rounds on CS

what other games is there that are short n sweet?

i would go ahead an install UT2004 again, but given that it needs about 5gb right off the bat, and then who knows how much more with the plethora of custom maps, game types and tweaks i could be looking at double that and i just dont have room on the tiny 20gb boot camp partition.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think you might get more help in the Apple section, but I'll try anyway.

In answer to your question, I believe the Apple.com website can help you.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-M...accessories%2Fsoftware

My personal picks would be Homeworld 2, Jedi Academy, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
They wont stress your high-end system (well, Homeworld 2 might if you have about 500 ships on screen at the same time) but they are all fun games.

I dont know what you mean by "tiny 20gb bootcamp partition".
Are you asking to run the Windows versions of these games on your apple?