Decent free - $100ish (after contract) AT&T phone?

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Hi guys,

My main phone is a Verizon Blackberry Tour. Having used it for a few months now, I realize that I'm not really into "business" smartphones, but you live and you learn. That's not really the point of this post, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I'm on the phone a lot more than I prefer for work, talking with certain customers constantly. The customer(s) I talk to the most all have AT&T, so I'm burning up minutes on my shared Verizon plan like crazy. My family still uses AT&T, and they've offered for me to pick up a line on their plan ($10 a month, which they're paying anyway and have left dormant since I switched to Verizon) so I can use it for business purposes.

I'll still be keeping my Tour for every day phone uses, but I'm looking for something from AT&T that I can throw in my laptop bag and use whenever I need to talk to customers. Good call quality is a must, and good standby time would be a plus. I won't be using it for data / web / etc. (though I would be interested if they have some sort of cheap tethering / data combo option for WLAN Internet on my laptop). Most of the bargin basement flip phones I've tried have horrible call quality, bad interfaces, and are just general cheap junk. However, I also don't need anything super fancy. I do like touch screens.

Right now I'm looking into the Samsung Impression for about $120 after contract. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
why not use the tour on att? its both cdma/gsm and i believe you can unlock it (i unlocked my friends storm a while back). :)

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
why not use the tour on att? its both cdma/gsm and i believe you can unlock it (i unlocked my friends storm a while back). :)

Sorry if I didn't make it clear - I'm keeping my Verizon account, just getting a second phone on AT&T for business use only.

Verizon has far superior coverage / service in my area, and my Verizon account isn't due for an upgrade until September. Otherwise I'd throw the Tour on the AT&T account and grab a Droid. :(

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
You can get an 8gig iphone 3G for $99 I believe, unless they don't have any more.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
iphone is not for cursethesky because he said he will not be using data, etc.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
how about the nokia e71 or blackberries? i heard the curve 8900 and bold 9700 are great, and you would feel right at home im sure. they go for less than $100 after rebates, but im not sure if they require a data plan or not.

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008
8900 is $100 at radioshack in store, nokia e71 is free, samsung mythic is $50.

also go to radioshack, best buy to find cheaper phones than at the at&t store.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
or walmart usually have dirty cheap cell phones not not very many selections

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I think OP said he doesn't want the ATT phone on the data plan.
-His main phone (VZW BB Tour) he is keeping.
-Needs ATT phone for his client. Just needs to talk with them.

Did I get that right?
Here is a review on the Samsung Impression
Phone Arena review

My friends daughter got an Impression the other night. It seemed decent from what I could tell. And that Samsung UI makes it seem sort of smartphone-ish.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I think OP said he doesn't want the ATT phone on the data plan.
-His main phone (VZW BB Tour) he is keeping.
-Needs ATT phone for his client. Just needs to talk with them.

Did I get that right?
Here is a review on the Samsung Impression
Phone Arena review

My friends daughter got an Impression the other night. It seemed decent from what I could tell. And that Samsung UI makes it seem sort of smartphone-ish.