Decent deal on a Fury (non-x) $499

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
That is a good price. Looks like there is enough stock to start letting supply and demand determine price.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Nice, SWBF as well. I am intrigued.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
best price i've seen, too bad it doesn't qualify for the $25 off visa checkout.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Its back to 499 for me, and comes with SW still.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
IMO it isn't worth it for over USD 400/450 tops.

1. 4GB VRAM won't last all of 2016.

2. 980Ti is faster as of now.

3. 980Ti OCs better I think.

I'd rather spend $600 instead of $500 for another 10-25% additional performance and 6GB vs 4GB VRAM.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
I'd rather spend $600 instead of $500 for another 10-25% additional performance and 6GB vs 4GB VRAM.

I hate to admit it, but that's how I see it as well. The much-hyped overclocking of Fury has now proven to be a big fizzle thanks to the recent voltage unlock. But the reality is that some people place a hard limit on the spending dollar - which I completely understand and respect - so it they were hell-bent on only spending $500 max for a single card solution, the Fury is a pretty good deal, plus it comes with SWB. Not only that, but it can potentially be unlocked to be a Fury X.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

We should see it hit ~$450 early next year I think in January IMO. Problem is, look at TPU's latest review of the 380x.
perfrel_2560_1440.png

Look how close the 390x is.... Fury just is way too expensive right now. Even at $500.
At $450 it's still too expensive compared to the 390x. The 390x can be had at around $350 Easily, sometimes even $300. The 390x is just WAY TOO GOOD of a deal to make the Fury worth it. In fact, if you get the 390x at a good enough deal and crossfire it, it blows away the Fury X, and has 8GB of VRAM, and is cheaper....

I just can't get behind Fiji. Not at all. Not with how the 390x/390 are performing and how they're priced. Fiji is just pissing me off really. It was an overhyped, underperforming release that brings nothing we can use performance was as gamers it's so overpriced that we're better off getting 2 R9 390s for ~$450, and waiting for a crossfire profile rather than getting Fury.

Fury/Fury X prices just have to drop a lot if I'm to take them seriously. The 980Ti is just so much more worth it, especially as it has dropped BELOW $600 by a significant amount now on some SKUs at some times. Getting a 980Ti for ~$580 or less vs Fury/Fury X at their current prices? Forget it... So, Arctic Islands or Hawaii/Grenada. But Fiji is just a dud.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

First, 4GB of HBM with AMDs memory management has been proven to not be a bottleneck in any game. This includes all of the games that will load 6 to 8 GB if they have it available. Loading and using are two different things. Frankly, you are about a year behind in a discussion that has already be settled. Feel free to dig up the threads to catch up.

Second, we aren't talking about Fury X v 980Ti. All of the cheapest 980Tis on Newegg are reference cards and who wants one of those for overclocking? It's going to turn into a hot, loud card.

Third, all of the 980Tis on Newegg are $629 or higher. On top of that, you assume that just because you have $500 you have $600 when that isn't even remotely a logical assumption. Even if you have $600 you many not even want to spend $600. The Fury X is 5-10% ahead on average, but you have to spend $150 more. The 980 Ti is only 5% ahead of the Fury X if at all. Below is the latest card card to be reviewed. Notice how the Fury without this recent discount is still a better price to performance deal than the Fury X and the 980 Ti reference? Ya....

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti_Amp_Extreme/25.html

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Do many people actually buy based on perf/dollar? Seems like most just buy the best overall performing GPU they can afford - which is not the same thing.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Do many people actually buy based on perf/dollar? Seems like most just buy the best overall performing GPU they can afford - which is not the same thing.

I wanted Fury X. I saw the performance. Saw the 980Ti performance. Lol'd. Said no way am I paying $650 for Fury X performance levels. Fury, I mean, same thing, no way am I going to buy that thing for $550 given the performance. So, I chose to get a R9 290, then when I need more performance, get a second r9 290. It'll be faster than the other 2 cards, while being cheaper.
I would just get the 980Ti, but I want access to Freesync. But ya, no way would I get Fiji given how weak the performance is for the price. Fiji is the worst perf per dollar out there right now, besides Titan X obviously.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
First, 4GB of HBM with AMDs memory management has been proven to not be a bottleneck in any game. This includes all of the games that will load 6 to 8 GB if they have it available. Loading and using are two different things. Frankly, you are about a year behind in a discussion that has already be settled. Feel free to dig up the threads to catch up.

Second, we aren't talking about Fury X v 980Ti. All of the cheapest 980Tis on Newegg are reference cards and who wants one of those for overclocking? It's going to turn into a hot, loud card.

Third, all of the 980Tis on Newegg are $629 or higher. On top of that, you assume that just because you have $500 you have $600 when that isn't even remotely a logical assumption. Even if you have $600 you many not even want to spend $600. The Fury X is 5-10% ahead on average, but you have to spend $150 more. The 980 Ti is only 5% ahead of the Fury X if at all. Below is the latest card card to be reviewed. Notice how the Fury without this recent discount is still a better price to performance deal than the Fury X and the 980 Ti reference? Ya....

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti_Amp_Extreme/25.html

980Ti
$560
Definitely not rerference model.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8296119-msi...tx-video-card-newegg-560-mir?src=SiteSearchV2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=

980Ti $630 Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1Q2KDCW7BK9KN&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Multiple nonreference models drop below $650 a lot with the 980Ti right now, and the Fury X is $670(Edit:Apparently not, dropped below $630. If it can drop to a $550 below a 980Ti's lowest price then I might actually be interested. The truly weird thing isn't the price drop on the Fury X... it's that it's not mentioned anywhere on slickdeals or on here. The R9 nano is at $600 on Amazon too.... does AMD literally have so little interest that price drops aren't being posted to forums?) at many retailers meaning it's at the price of aftermarket 980Tis......

If you only have $500 and not $600, then you're quite money constrained, and at that point, you probably shouldn't be looking at a $500 GPU if an extra $100 will break the bank. Instead, pickup the R9 390x which is literally 12% slower, for $1500-$200 less dollars....

There is just no good argument for the Fury or Fury X. Sorry. They suck when compared to the other options out there. Hawaii/Grenada, or choices from the green side.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
If you only have $500 and not $600, then you're quite money constrained, and at that point, you probably shouldn't be looking at a $500 GPU if an extra $100 will break the bank. Instead, pickup the R9 390x which is literally 12% slower, for $150-$200 less dollars....
I was going to post something like this. People who can not afford $600 graphics cards should not buy $500 graphics cards either. A R9 390 or a GTX 970 would be another option if $100 is of such importance.

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
We should see it hit ~$450 early next year I think in January IMO. Problem is, look at TPU's latest review of the 380x.

Look how close the 390x is.... Fury just is way too expensive right now. Even at $500.
At $450 it's still too expensive compared to the 390x. The 390x can be had at around $350 Easily, sometimes even $300. The 390x is just WAY TOO GOOD of a deal to make the Fury worth it. In fact, if you get the 390x at a good enough deal and crossfire it, it blows away the Fury X, and has 8GB of VRAM, and is cheaper....

I just can't get behind Fiji. Not at all. Not with how the 390x/390 are performing and how they're priced. Fiji is just pissing me off really. It was an overhyped, underperforming release that brings nothing we can use performance was as gamers it's so overpriced that we're better off getting 2 R9 390s for ~$450, and waiting for a crossfire profile rather than getting Fury.

Fury/Fury X prices just have to drop a lot if I'm to take them seriously. The 980Ti is just so much more worth it, especially as it has dropped BELOW $600 by a significant amount now on some SKUs at some times. Getting a 980Ti for ~$580 or less vs Fury/Fury X at their current prices? Forget it... So, Arctic Islands or Hawaii/Grenada. But Fiji is just a dud.

Keep in mind that in the results you posted - there's actually a bigger gap between the 390X and the Fury then there is between the Fury and the 980 Ti. That's always been the problem with the ultra high end though, you pay exponentially more for such a small performance increase. I think the extra 2GB of VRAM is what would be really seal the deal for me, but it is an extra $100 or so. Having access to Freesync is becoming a bigger deal. Especially with the recent driver improvements, it's hard not to want access to something that is becoming available across the board in most monitors without needing to tack on an extra $200 or so to the price tag. At the end of the day though, the Fury and Fury X are definitely feel like a bit of a stop gap solution until AMD can get their next gen GPU's out next year.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
The 980Ti has huge OC room so lets not even try that Fury being close to the 980Ti. Lets not play dumb please with the 980Ti's performance levels.....

However, while the Fury and Fury X feel like crappy STop Gap Solutions there have been LARGE price drops on the Fury X and Nano! The Nano is currently at $550 and the Fury X at $570 on Newegg. I don 't know if any cash back/other deals apply as well, but that could see their prices drop even lower. At that price, for 4K gaming, even when you consider the 980ti OC, it's quite nice if you pair it we a freesync monitor. Then you're below the cost of the 980Ti OC + Gsync monitor.

only makes sense at this price point in that scenario when you are using freesync/gsync at 4K.

Personally, if they can drop the Nano to $550, and the Fury X to $570, then I expect to see these prices drop even further after the winter in march-April. Wouldn't be surprised to see a $500 Nano or a $520-30 Fury X. Still doesn't beat crossfire, but may be nice for the single card. If Fury X ends up at the 390x prices and in crossfire beats Arctic Islands parts, then that would be interesting.... With the current price of the Nano(and Fury X) at $550 though, pretty much invalidates the Fury as a whole.

Last edited:

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
The 980Ti has huge OC room so lets not even try that Fury being close to the 980Ti. Lets not play dumb please with the 980Ti's performance levels.....

However, while the Fury and Fury X feel like crappy STop Gap Solutions there have been LARGE price drops on the Fury X and Nano! The Nano is currently at $550 and the Fury X at $570 on Newegg. I don 't know if any cash back/other deals apply as well, but that could see their prices drop even lower. At that price, for 4K gaming, even when you consider the 980ti OC, it's quite nice if you pair it we a freesync monitor. Then you're below the cost of the 980Ti OC + Gsync monitor.

only makes sense at this price point in that scenario when you are using freesync/gsync at 4K.

Personally, if they can drop the Nano to $550, and the Fury X to $570, then I expect to see these prices drop even further after the winter in march-April. Wouldn't be surprised to see a $500 Nano or a $520-30 Fury X. Still doesn't beat crossfire, but may be nice for the single card. If Fury X ends up at the 390x prices and in crossfire beats Arctic Islands parts, then that would be interesting.... With the current price of the Nano(and Fury X) at $550 though, pretty much invalidates the Fury as a whole.

Sorry I wasn't trying to "play dumb" about the performance levels, but what's the point in posting a graph if you're going to ignore the results of said graph? The results in that graph just really weren't showing what you were trying to get across since they weren't 980 Ti O/C performance. And there was actually a decent gap between the 390X and the Fury - even more than the Fury and the Ti (without O/C).

Anyway, yeah I think the Fury and the Fury X prices will slowly come down to levels that make more sense. When supply was extremely limited it made sense for AMD to pickup the extra cash where they could, but prices will probably have to come down for them to keep moving inventory. The Fury at $449, the Nano at $499 and the Fury X at $549 would be extremely competitive and appealing from a price/perf ratio - but if AMD is trying to shed that value image we may not end up seeing them that low. If AMD had the supply when they launched initially, it would have been interesting to see them launch with pricing similar to the 290/290X (Fury at $400 and Fury X at $549). I can bet you would have seen a bigger marketshare turnaround albeit at the cost of profit margin.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

Ignorant consumers who don't do research will do what you suggest. Anyone that is more of an enthusiast will do their homework. They will know where the perf/dollar is along with all of the other considerations. It's just a matter of prioritizing those considerations at that point.

I wanted Fury X. I saw the performance. Saw the 980Ti performance. Lol'd. Said no way am I paying $650 for Fury X performance levels. Fury, I mean, same thing, no way am I going to buy that thing for $550 given the performance. So, I chose to get a R9 290, then when I need more performance, get a second r9 290. It'll be faster than the other 2 cards, while being cheaper.
I would just get the 980Ti, but I want access to Freesync. But ya, no way would I get Fiji given how weak the performance is for the price. Fiji is the worst perf per dollar out there right now, besides Titan X obviously.

Depends on the resolution. Overall it's splitting hairs between Nvidia and AMD between the 980Ti and the Fury X. Excluding the TX, their perf/dollar is the worst.

That is only one consideration though. I bought the Sapphire Fury @ $499 and I didn't really care about the perf/dollar at that level. Here's why. My previous card was a Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce card. Great card. The cooler is actually not as good as the current gen ones. 3x 75MM fans so it gets fairly loud full out even in my sound insulated case. The cooler can't keep the card from hitting 94C(thermal throttle limit) with the newer, better programmed games. I actually had to reduce the clock speed to 1030 to prevent thermal throttling in games. In benchmarking I have to drop the clocks even more. The Fury is dead silent all the time and stays cool @ full load. It's also on average 10-20 FPS faster than the R9 290x. That might not seem that much, but I'm trying to get closer to, stay @, or get over 120fps @ 1080p to make full use of my monitor. In addition, I'm guaranteed the best support from AMD as far as drivers and software. Not that they greatly deprioritize their last gen, unlike Nvidia. I also flip my cards every generation. I'll easily sell my R9 290 for $200. Really I'm only paying $299 for a new card. When the next gen drops I'll flip my Fury card. So on and so forth. One last thing, the Sapphire cards can still be unlocked to get closer to or be a full out Fury X.

My last consideration is that I refuse to buy Nvidia. Their business practices are not the type that I can support. Competing on innovation and moving the industry forward is more important to me than absolute performance or perf/dollar.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

The dynamics have changed a bit. Fiji's performance has improved relatively and prices have dropped. You still might not consider it a good enough deal, but I've seen people pay a lot more for way less performance improvement.

$500 for a Fury, isn't bad at all. Especially when you look at how long AMD cards tend to stay relative. Remember when 295x2's were ~$500-$600? If you had gotten one then you'd still be rocking the fastest graphics card in the world today. There were people still trying to say it was bad value then too.

You can unlock and O/C the Fury and get even better performance, with likely improvements from API optimizations moving forward too.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I paid $569.99 for my fury x had I seen the evga 980ti hybrid for $624 sooner I would have purchased it instead.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Some posters just can't resist the AMD vs. nVidia slant. I thought that was the reason the sub forums were created?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
So, I chose to get a R9 290, then when I need more performance, get a second r9 290.

Here is your chance - HIS IceQ 290 for $180 or R9 390 for $210. Combined with your sub-$200 R9 290, you'll be crushing a $400 GTX980 at 1440P and 4K.

^ and because of that, it's also very hard to recommend a $500 Fury or a $570 Fury X.

Like seriously, it costs almost the same to buy 2x R9 390s (XFX 390 for $210 + a random R9 390 for $270-275) than it is to get a single Fury. :sneaky:

perfrel_2560.gif

In fairness to Fury/Fury X, Fury X CF does crush R9 295X2 in some games.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Assassins_Creed_Syndicate-test-ACS_1920_aa.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Assassins_Creed_Syndicate-test-ACS_2560_u.jpg

Overall though, R9 295X2 or R9 290X CF was highly underrated. Even without the newer games where AMD is killing it in performance, R9 295X2 was smashing 980 into the ground.

Cannot believe how many people actually bought a $550 980 against $600 290X CF or $650 R9 295X2 using CF drivers suck argument. Facepalm.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-STAR_WARS_Battlefront-test-starwars__2560.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-STAR_WARS_Battlefront-test-starwars__2560_150.jpg

Last edited: