Dec 7th, 42 Years ago Pearl Harbor today.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
they presented us with a blank check to open a can of whoopass

we let hitler roll over france, belgium, poland, and more before stepping in. then we squashed his nozzle. the europeans via had tried to appease him for many years.

speed01

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2001
Has everyone forgotten that this even happened? Personally, having served my country for over a decade, I find it a bit disheartening that there is hardly any mention of the events which transpired on this day in 1941 anywhere. We all know the saying, Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.. Let's hope we don't.

Speed

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: speed01
Has everyone forgotten that this even happened? Personally, having served my country for over a decade, I find it a bit disheartening that there is hardly any mention of the events which transpired on this day in 1941 anywhere. We all know the saying, Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.. Let's hope we don't.

Speed

How right you are.

I was around when it happened. I was 7 years old and had no idea who the Japanese were or where Pearl Harbor was but all of us who were around learned very quickly.

At school the next day the whole place was abuzz with talk about the war.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002

Speed

Maybe it depends on where you are. It seems to me I saw a lot of references to 12/7/41, probably more than in recent years. I also noted that a number of cartoonists worked in into the Sunday comics. (Shows where my reading material comes from.) :D

speed01

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2001
Given the "overwhelming" response this thread has garnered, I can see how this great country has decayed into the Nanny State it has become!! We have become the literal "ME" society and very few appear to appreciate what countless others have sacrificed to preserve thier way of life. I for one am absolutely appalled by the lack of recognition shown to my fellow shipmates who's lives were lost on that fatefull day. Ahh well, I'm just rambling at this point so to all my fellow sailors both past and present, Fair winds and following seas. Some of us do still remember....

Speed

speed01

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: KenGr

Speed

Maybe it depends on where you are. It seems to me I saw a lot of references to 12/7/41, probably more than in recent years. I also noted that a number of cartoonists worked in into the Sunday comics. (Shows where my reading material comes from.) :D

I may be just a little biased but the normal media outlets had relatively few if any references to it from what I could see. IMHO much less than was the norm. But then again, it could be just me..thanks for reading the thread though...:)

Speed

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Two years ago there was a big deal. I think that for the media, "62nd anniversary" is not quite as exciting as 60th anniversary. It's very humbling to see the same veterans (those who survived) show up consistently. In another 20 years, there won't be anyone left to do the ceremonies every year. Fortunately, the military will always do the services.