Dec. 2012 tablet web traffic base: iPad (87%) vs. others

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Eug, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Eug

Eug Lifer

http://insights.chitika.com/2012/december-tablet-update/

(US and Canada)

[​IMG]

iPad: 87% web traffic (-1%)
    Kindle Fire: 4.25% web traffic (+19%)
    Samsung Galaxy: 2.65% web traffic (+12%)
    Google Nexus: 1.65 web traffic (+16%)

So, it seems the Kindle Fire is still dominating on the Android tablet side, which must really irritate Google. I guess the good news for Google is Android tablet web traffic overall is increasing, with a little bit of that increase at the expense of Apple's.

2. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

I guess for me, mine would never show up on their web impression since I block ad on the hosts/domain level after rooting asap for any Android device.

3. Eug

Eug Lifer

Maybe, but I betcha you represent less than 1% percent of tablet owners anyway.

4. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

This.

5. cheezy321

cheezy321 Diamond Member

This is exactly why whenever I see some 'survey' that says android has more than 30% of the tablet market I tend to laugh. It's even worse for the android camp if you consider the kindle fire is not a true android tablet.

Other unscientific studies corroborate this:
    [​IMG]

6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy Senior member

You do know that US and Canada are not exactly the whole world?

7. bonkers325

bonkers325 Lifer

i'd say 30% is right. a quarter of people i see on subways using tablets are using nexus7 or kindle fire. a handful might be using nook. i've never seen an asus transformer in the wild before.

8. preslove

preslove Lifer

Has there been a scientific study of the accuracy of web impressions? I've seen anecdotes of android devices being picked up as iOS devices or desktop web browsers because the browsers are webkit, some browsers can be set to desktop mode, and the data collection methods are flawed.

9. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

I don't recall seeing any in depth reporting on it, but several articles have been posted here showing various Android browsers identifying as Safari/iOS so they get served the 'tablet optimized' mobile version.

10. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Pretty much this. I use Dolphin browser and it's reported as mobile Safari by all the sites I visit. Same with Firefox Beta browser. So when I use Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and CM9 Touchpads, all the sites think I'm using an iPad/iPhone since the browser is flagged as Safari when it's not. All these web traffic figures/study are worthless and completely wrong.

11. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

So iPad users are bigger attention whores :D

12. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

I don't doubt iOS users represent a bigger share of the web traffic out there. The people with iDevices ismply use their devices more. I have enough friends in startups or interested in startups. Everytime a new mobile app comes out it's always iOS first. Android coming later (and usually a crappier port version that runs like ass).

There's a reason they debut iOS first and then Android later. It's not because iOS has a smaller marketshare.

I know people love discussing marketshare, but a good chunk of Android users are those who finally upgraded their dumbphones with a QWERTY keyboard so they could text all day long.

13. Eug

Eug Lifer

My web designer friends who build apps for large companies never even bother making Android versions. Some of their colleagues do though, but that's where it stops: iOS >>> Android... with no other mobile platforms supported at all.

14. s44

s44 Diamond Member

This.

Cue the usual suspects claiming the usual nonsense though.

15. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Dolphin = Safari
    Boat = Safari
    Firefox Beta = Safari

I don't know about Opera since I don't use it but if you use any of the above browsers on Android, you're using iPad/iPhone according to web site traffic trackers.

16. mosco

mosco Senior member

Nothing you said there discounts the report linked above. Android user agent strings contain the word "android" along with things like "Applewebkit" and "safari". Sites that think you are on a iPhone probably think that because they don't care that you are on an android phone. I am pretty confident that these ad analytics companies are smart enough to add another piece to their regexs to catch the different OS.

17. mosco

mosco Senior member

I believe these reports come from ad requests. Just because a website thinks you are on an iPhone(probably because they don't care about targeting android phones, just WebKit/safar), doesn't mean that the requests to the advertising servers classify the requests as the same thing.

18. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

More team sports nonsense. Who personally cares how many other people own/use the exact same thing as they do? I don't understand whatever weird psychology is behind this.

19. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

When we started our mobile site last year, iOS accounted for 90% of mobile traffice and 95% of mobile sales. Android was starting to make up some ground, but nothing significant. This was strictly for non-tablet mobile devices (phones and iPods). In general, we found that iOS users are more likely to shop and spend time browsing than other users disproportional to the market share of devices.

Just from personal experience spending time in usability labs, there is a difference in culture between iPhone and Android users.

20. styrafoam

styrafoam Platinum Member

Who is chitka? What sites do they serve? I clicked on the link to their home page and I don't ever recall seeing an ad from any of their premium customers.

Either way, I guess some people got some ipads and then they got on the internet. That's great.

21. lopri

lopri Elite Member

For real. I don't know why people care about someone else's choice of browsers, let alone market share.

What does market share of a corporation X has anything to do with my wallet or my intellectual curiosity..? Or yours? This is a serious question.

Reminds me of those people arguing same-sex marriage is ruining their heterosexual marriage.

P.S. OK the last sentence belongs to P&N. I apologize.

22. lopri

lopri Elite Member

I mean, do people here care about Internet Explorer's 50%+ market share when choosing their own browsers or devices? :confused: Furthermore, does such a statistics say anything about the merits of different browsers?

Edit: Reading the chart again, basically what it informs us is that Apple has sold many more iPads than Android tablets..

Umm... Duh?

#22 lopri, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  23. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

What is the point of this thread?

24. Eug

Eug Lifer

It tells the corporations what platforms to support with app development, hence my previous post. The support and viability of the ecosystem is important to mainstream users.

But that should be completely obvious.

What was not quite as obvious to me was the relative proportions of Apple to Android users, and proportions of type of Android users.

I find it rather telling that the #1 Android platform is Amazon.

#24 Eug, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  25. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

My android tab says posted by iOS when in post on fb and my cell always uses full browser and would show that I'm using a desktop.