Death penalty for pedophiles?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
talk about a punishment that doesn't fit the crime.

How about life in maximum security prison in general population. I hear they love child rapists.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I don't feel comfortable paying my tax dollars (let alone if it's coming from somwhere else) for someone to sit in an A/C comfortable cell, get fed every day and entertain themselves.

Who wouldn't want to spend 23 hours of their day in tiny cell eating crappy cafeteria food for the rest of their life?

Some facts about the death penalty:
- Costs more than life in prison
- Has been proven to not be a deterrent to commiting crimes
- Since 1976 one person on death row has been freed for every seven people put to death

By advocating the death penalty you implicitly support the idea that the benefits of the death penalty outweigh the "cost" of executing innocent people. You think a one day rape/murder is bad? What about executing an innocent person whose been forced to rot away decades of his life in small cell?

Can some death penalty supporter address the last point please?

I did. Read my last post. If the death penalty was made simplyer. Execution within a couple of days v.s. execution within a couple of years. Also public executions.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
These people are almost always repeat offenders.

I think ANY offence that involves a child under the age of 14 should get LIFE IN PRISON, no parole.

The death penality should ONLY be used in cases of gross discrepect for human life.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Who wouldn't want to spend 23 hours of their day in tiny cell eating crappy cafeteria food for the rest of their life?

- Since 1976 one person on death row has been freed for every seven people put to death

By advocating the death penalty you implicitly support the idea that the benefits of the death penalty outweigh the "cost" of executing innocent people. You think a one day rape/murder is bad? What about executing an innocent person whose been forced to rot away decades of his life in small cell?

I did. Read my last post. If the death penalty was made simplyer. Execution within a couple of days v.s. execution within a couple of years. Also public executions.

No, you really didn't. His point was that for every 7 executions, one person slated to be executed has been later found innocent and released. That is a shamefully high level. If we followed your example more then a hundred people who were later exonerated would have been executed.

If you are willing to slaughter more then 100 people, you should be able to show a tangible benefit for their deaths. You can't say it would deter crime... as we both know that's not true.. Expense is a very very poor argument as well, because if people are becoming too expensive to give their due process rights under the constitution, what other segments of our population are becoming too expensive to have their rights? I'm looking at you, old people.

I do not believe that an intellectually honest argument can use either of those two previous points. If you have another one I would be very interested to hear it, or if you can think of some way not to make those dishonest then please share it. I have a feeling like you will repeat some emotional, off the cuff, unsupported opinions however.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Of course, it's in the South where the ostensible christians have no problem with state-sanctioned murder. Capital punishment is a fool's tool anyway.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy

No, you really didn't. His point was that for every 7 executions, one person slated to be executed has been later found innocent and released. That is a shamefully high level. If we followed your example more then a hundred people who were later exonerated would have been executed.

If you are willing to slaughter more then 100 people, you should be able to show a tangible benefit for their deaths. You can't say it would deter crime... as we both know that's not true.. Expense is a very very poor argument as well, because if people are becoming too expensive to give their due process rights under the constitution, what other segments of our population are becoming too expensive to have their rights? I'm looking at you, old people.

I do not believe that an intellectually honest argument can use either of those two previous points. If you have another one I would be very interested to hear it, or if you can think of some way not to make those dishonest then please share it. I have a feeling like you will repeat some emotional, off the cuff, unsupported opinions however.

It's really odd to see people who don't trust their government to tax them or, inspect their food, or setup their street signs; yet they trust their government to execute the right people properly. One look at the Cook County, Illinois death row should dissuade anyone.

I know that there are some people that should be just be put up against the wall and shot. I am not against a death penalty per se. But given the glaring errors and incompetance shown in some death penalty cases, I can in no way support the present execution of the law as it presently stands. This is not something that should be 'simplified or expedited'. There should be a very high standard for such things, with serious overview, with justice as the goal, and not legal or emotional expediancy. Til then, I don't support it.

As was mentioned earlier, this sort of child molestation law encourages the assailant to kill his victim. No difference in the penalty. IIRC this very reasoning was behind the move away from the death penalty for rape in the late 19th/early 20th century. Simple solutions are often neither simple nor solutions.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I heard a great idea today if we can outsource jobs overseas why not convicted criminals. There are places around the globe that could house lifer criminals for probably a fourth of what it cost us now. Of course it would not be the luxury accomodations they would get in the US, no it would be hell on earth and exactly what they deserve.

Now I would not mind this instead of the death penalty where they are shipped of to a hell whole never to be heard from again.

sothsegger

Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Death penalty for pedophiles

Apparently we're going to keep moving the bar lower for capital punishment. As horrific a crime as child rape is, does is really require the death penalty? Is raping a child really that much worse than raping an adult? Will a 17 year old with a 15 year old girlfriend in a state where minors can face the death penalty find themselves strapped to a gurney?

On top of the death penalty being an irreversible punishment, and all too frequently found to have been sentenced upon innocent people, this seems like we're going the wrong direction.

dangerously close to shariya law

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Personally i think that this is just another sign of the increasing authoritarian nature of some parts of american society. Some people are almost eager to kill people for various offenses

It started by libs making it legal for women to execute their own babies.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

I am all in favor for the death penalty for individuals who have committed premeditated murder but I have a question. What do we do with the kids who have been molested. You folks do realize that most people who are child molesters have themselves been molested as children right?

Should we make a pre-emptive strike toward these kids who might be potential child molesters in the making and castrate them as well? Even with the best psychological therapy money can buy there will be some kids who will someday become child molesters themselves. Let alone those who cannot afford the best of the best.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I'm guessing you don't have children. I think pedophiles should be put to death.

So let's say hypothetically speaking that one of your kid's is molested. The perp is put to death. Your kid goes through years of therapy but to no avail and he/she then has a sexual encounter with a minor and is charge and convicted of child molestation. Should they be executed?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Personally i think that this is just another sign of the increasing authoritarian nature of some parts of american society. Some people are almost eager to kill people for various offenses

It started by libs making it legal for women to execute their own babies.

People like you are a good example of why abortion should be obligatory for some people.

Billyzeke

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: iskim86
i rape myself many times a week, by masturbating on schedule even when i don't want to.

am i gonna be executed?

No, but your going to go blind and get hairy palms.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Genx87
Castration does nothing. Talk about a waste of taxpayers money. Pedophilia(sp) and rape are pyschological issues, not sexual.
QFT... too many people here are ignoring this point.
Because it's wrong. It's adding 2+2 and getting 5. While it's true that rape is more about power and rage, not sexual desire, it is also true that rage and need for power are driven by testosterone. What's the physiological effect of castration? Greatly reduced testosterone.

Capital punishment should be reserved for capital crimes. It's a bit distrubing to see so many extremists in this thread who would easily blend in at a Taliban convention. They share the same disregard for human life.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

:thumbsup: - I wish I could present my argument as well as you have :)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm guessing you don't have children. I think pedophiles should be put to death.

Who are you speaking to? I do have a daughter. She's 8. I can't imagine what it would be like to find out she'd been molested, it's almost too surreal to conceive so I couldn't even imagine my response. I still don't think anybody should be executed over it.

I don't support the death penalty at all, certainly not here. The justice system is far too susceptible to mistakes and often outright lies. How many innocent fathers are accused of child molestation by their vicious ex-wives and her sleazy attorney? It happens all the time.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Ryan
Why do we kill people to show that killing people is wrong? (cliché, I know).
Murder is wrong. Killing is not always murder.

For example, you always hear news reports like this:

"man kills intruder" vs "intruder murders family". See the difference? One is justified and possibly necessary, one is out of unprovoked malice and ill will.

Basically anything that causes you to say "killed" instead of "murder" implies that it was justified and right in some way, even if unfortunate.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Darwin333
talk about a punishment that doesn't fit the crime.

How about life in maximum security prison in general population. I hear they love child rapists.

Cell mate Bubba: You like raping pretty little boys huh? I think you are a pretty little boy... ya know what that means don'tcha!

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Who are you speaking to? I do have a daughter. She's 8. I can't imagine what it would be like to find out she'd been molested, it's almost too surreal to conceive so I couldn't even imagine my response. I still don't think anybody should be executed over it.

I don't support the death penalty at all, certainly not here. The justice system is far too susceptible to mistakes and often outright lies. How many innocent fathers are accused of child molestation by their vicious ex-wives and her sleazy attorney? It happens all the time.

Fundamentally I support the death penalty for such a vile act without question. But I agree 100% on your point here.

Molestation is one of those things that are often excessively abused with false allegations in order to satisfy someones thirst for revenge or ruining someones life to 'get the last laugh'.

In that case lopping off someones wang would be inappropriate as well, simply because, say for example, the wife brainwashed the kids into accusing their father of 'touching them' to gain the upper hand in a divorce or something. Especially where the kids are told in private thats what happened so much they actually remember it happening even if it is completely fabricated.

You also have the issue of a paranoid litigation happy society overreacting to the point where simply smiling at a strangers kid or patting them on the head can attract negative attention and pedophile accusations.

I really wish we could enforce the death penalty for true violators, but unfortunately, society isn't mature enough to ensure that every punishment dealt would be just and correct.

Also, as much as the idea of lopping off wangs and things like that sounds good to me, I am not a hypocrite in my embrace of the US Constitution in it's entirety, which forbids cruel and unusual punishment. It's not a salad bar to pick and choose only what I like while disregarding the rest.

On the other hand, if there is absolute evidence, like a kidnapped kid found locked in the basement of a kidnapper's home with videos and things like that, absolutely I support the death penalty in clear cut cases that are far beyond the shadow of doubt. That is the thing people forget about capital punishment. Innocent people end up on death row because the death penalty is tossed around lightly. The problem isn't that death doesn't fit these crimes, it does. The problem is determining the probability that the crime actually occurred in the context in which death is the proper punishment. It is intended only to be used in clear cut cases where there is absolutely no doubt or possible fabrication of evidence, such as being caught in the act, video, admission, etc. But simply 'he touched me' with no unyielding evidence? No. But thats the way it should be with the death penalty period for any crimes.