Dearborn school district now offering students 100% Halal menu

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Last school year, Dearborn Public Schools began offering free lunch and breakfast to all kindergarten through 12th grade students across the district. The meals were provided through a special community qualification program offered through the U.S.D.A. school lunch program. Dearborn served 2,050,258 school lunches last school year, up from 1.8 million the previous year. Breakfasts increased to 684,049, up from 646,901 the previous year.

Dearborn Public Schools has about 20,700 students.

All the meat served in Dearborn will now be halal. Before some schools offered all halal, while others had a mix, which contributed to confusion about which menu was being served at which school.

The main problem I have with halal meat is that it is not fair to people of other faiths
halal meat requires that certain mumbo reglious words be uttered before animal is killed and that the person who does it has to be Muslim. This means right away job opportunities are taken away from people of other faiths. This is extremely discriminatory

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
A common situation in the UK. I vaguely remember there being objections from other faiths (Sikhs?) on the basis that it's actually explicitly against their beliefs to eat Halal.

I don't care, myself. Morally one could argue we should all be vegetarian anyway (I'm just too weak to stick to that).

Also an undermentioned reason for going Halal is that economies-of-scale can in some cases make it a cheaper source of meat.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
No one forces me to eat Kosher food. But USDA funds are being used to ensure lunch is free for kids. i do not want govt money to be used as a jobs program for only muslims. fuck that.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Its the thing where your personal beliefs begins to impact or be forced on other people that is a problem for me. Its intolerant. Cant tolerate intolerance.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Not long ago I was talking to two Muslims from different parts of the world who got into quite a heated argument about whether Muslims could eat shark meat or not. Apparently different schools of the faith have different rules as to whether shark is Halal.

I don't suppose this comes up in Dearborn though.

I guess there are only Muslims in those schools? Hopefully no Sikhs?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
No one forces me to eat Kosher food. But USDA funds are being used to ensure lunch is free for kids. i do not want govt money to be used as a jobs program for only muslims. fuck that.
In point of fact, you are wrong.

The slaughter can be performed by a Muslim or an adherent of religions traditionally known as People of the Book.[20]
People of the Book/Scripture (Arabic: أهل الكتاب‎ ′Ahl al-Kitāb) is an Islamic term which refers to Jews, Christians and Sabians and is sometimes applied to members of other religions such as Zoroastrians.

Reactions: skyking and Oric

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Just eat fish. Fish cannot be halal!

Halal means you hang the animal up on a hook and make a slit and make it bleed slowly to death.

That makes me look at PETA as utterly humane and useful.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
How do you feel about forcing women to have babies because they were raped or they don't want or can't afford/care for based on someone else's religious beliefs?

Reactions: TheVrolok

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Just eat fish. Fish cannot be halal!

Halal means you hang the animal up on a hook and make a slit and make it bleed slowly to death.

That makes me look at PETA as utterly humane and useful.

The point is kids get free food sponsored by USDA funds.
- Now 100% of the food is halal - This means people who cannot eat halal or do not believe in meat sanctified to a god they do not believe in, will have to eat vegetarian or bring their own food.
- Also if I were to seek employment at one of those slaughter house, I can never get employed since I am not Muslim.

why the fuck is govt money going towards these slaughtershops.

PETA has made multiple topics about HALAL and they are against it and have brought out whitepapers on this topic. My point is from a food choice and a employment fairness pov.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The point is kids get free food sponsored by USDA funds.
- Now 100% of the food is halal - This means people who cannot eat halal or do not believe in meat sanctified to a god they do not believe in, will have to eat vegetarian or bring their own food.
- Also if I were to seek employment at one of those slaughter house, I can never get employed since I am not Muslim.

why the fuck is govt money going towards these slaughtershops.

PETA has made multiple topics about HALAL and they are against it and have brought out whitepapers on this topic. My point is from a food choice and a employment fairness pov.

You were already informed that the preparers do not need to be Muslim. Stop repeating falsehoods.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
How do you feel about forcing women to have babies because they were raped or they don't want or can't afford/care for based on someone else's religious beliefs?

dude WTF. if you have ADD and can't stay on topic. i mean just skip the topic my friend.

Personal attacks will no longer be tolerated in P&N.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
You were already informed that the preparers do not need to be Muslim. Stop repeating falsehoods.
Oh wow. why the fuck are people of the book so special. Stop being a coward.

Personal attacks will no longer be tolerated in P&N.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh wow. why the fuck are people of the book so special. Stop being a coward.

You would think you would be happy to find out that the thing you were outraged about isn’t true yet somehow it seems to have made you even angrier and now you’re lashing out at me.

Gee, I wonder why.