Dearborn school district now offering students 100% Halal menu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Sikhs, apparently. So I've been told.

"Eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner (Kutha meat): Sikhs are strictly prohibited from eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner (such as halal or kosher, known as Kutha meat[8] ), or any meat where langar is served.[9] For many Sikhs (and in some small Sikh sects, e.g. Akhand Kirtani Jatha) eating any meat is believed to be forbidden, but this is not a universally held belief.[10] The meat eaten by Sikhs is known as Jhatka meat."

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Its the thing where your personal beliefs begins to impact or be forced on other people that is a problem for me. Its intolerant. Cant tolerate intolerance.

That happens all the time, though. There's a kind of tyranny of the majority that operates even without explict laws. It works via the market and peer and social pressure and just the way things get arranged.

I do think something like this can _become_ a problem, but to a large degree it's unavoidable and hence people need to show a bit of tolerance and common sense. If there are no children in those schools who have _real_ religious objections to Halal such that they can't eat it, I'd say let it go and worry about more important things.

And, boy, are there more important things to worry about these days.

Reactions: cytg111

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Sikhs, apparently. So I've been told.

True and they are a decent percentage in the area
Also anyone who does not believe in Allah. it is extremely offensive that I have to a person of the "book" to be able to get USDA funds and run a slaughterhouse. As eskimo said, If I was not special and a person of the book, then I am not deemed worthy enough to get a job there. since he is a person of the book, he is special and it is fine.

"“Bismillahirrahmanirrahiyyim” or “In the name of Allah the compassionate and merciful,” is actually the full phrase you utter before slaughter. " .

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Also anyone who does not believe in Allah. it is extremely offensive that I have to a person of the "book" to be able to get USDA funds and run a slaughterhouse. As eskimo said, If I was not special and a person of the book, then I am not deemed worthy enough to get a job there. since he is a person of the book, he is special and it is fine.

"“Bismillahirrahmanirrahiyyim” or “In the name of Allah the compassionate and merciful,” is actually the full phrase you utter before slaughter. " .

Hmmm, though are there really lots of unemployed, atheist or Hindu, slaughterhouse workers in that area? (Hindu seems particularly unlikely). Is this really an issue worth getting worked up about, or is there some other agenda involved?

Feb 4, 2009
In point of fact, you are wrong.

Thank you for the People of the Book.
Per a moderately serious Muslim guy I worked with anyone who believes in the Old Testament is approved. He made assumptions at sandwich places but if there were any sandwich makers with a cross necklace or Star of David necklace he’d wait for them to prepare the food.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

They probably have jobs for people other than the ones doing the slaughtering, you know.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Apparently not a new idea in the area

From 2001

Thanks VG. That's how islamization starts and ghettoisation and next thing you know a Bradfordistan or a Londonistan is created

It's amazing how they start off a test run and then halal meat is slowly increased over a generation and next thing you know 100% is Halal meat. Then comes the sharia court. I am surprised a lefty like me is mad about this while the other liberals are not mad. I do not want the US to slowly veer towards Islamic religious fundamentalism.

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks VG. That's how islamization starts and ghettoisation and next thing you know a Bradfordistan or a Londonistan is created

It's amazing how they start off a test run and then halal meat is slowly increased over a generation and next thing you know 100% is Halal meat. Then comes the sharia court. I am surprised a lefty like me is mad about this while the other liberals are not mad. I do not want the US to slowly veer towards Islamic religious fundamentalism.

Good thing that's not happening then.

Reactions: Meghan54

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I live in Dearborn and this change makes sense for the area. This year the school district moved to a new provider that does made from scratch cooking on site vs the old system of just heating up prepared/processed crap. This move would simplify their logistics and make menu planning easier.

Reactions: KMFJD

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
They probably have jobs for people other than the ones doing the slaughtering, you know.
NG, it is not about the other jobs, sorry if I am came across as rude.heheh. got a little vehement. :)
It's that govt money is going towards this.
Again apologize since I was a little rude towards you. You too eskimo [we had our argument over a gamut of issues, but you are cool man and a patriot !!!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

We already have "sharia" from our SCOTUS, which exempts folks with "strongly held religious beliefs" from having to follow laws that apply to everyone else. You are barking up the wrong tree. Have a halal kebob, wash it down with some ayran, say a Hail Mary and relax.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So according to you, 100% of the kids in Dearborn are muslim. Thanks for playing.

They aren’t but do you know anything about Dearborn? It seems to be on a regular basis the scary place where Muslims are taking over according to right wing justice warriors.
Trust me they aren’t. It’s a diverse community for sure but not some scary place.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

The main problem I have with halal meat is that it is not fair to people of other faiths
halal meat requires that certain mumbo reglious words be uttered before animal is killed and that the person who does it has to be Muslim. This means right away job opportunities are taken away from people of other faiths. This is extremely discriminatory

I wish I had time to be concerned with such a trivial issue.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
They aren’t but do you know anything about Dearborn? It seems to be on a regular basis the scary place where Muslims are taking over according to right wing justice warriors.
Trust me they aren’t. It’s a diverse community for sure but not some scary place.

All I heard from a few folks is that it looks like little Arabia. I do not know the details but I do some have some concerns that it may over the next few decades turn this area into a no-go type of situation. Also if I was a atheist butcher, I will never be able to get employment , since only people of the book [which I doubt, since I cannot imagine Christians or Jews saying “Bismillahirrahmanirrahiyyim” when about to kill the cow.[for alternator sized cuts obviously]

After seeing some of the islamic ghettos in Europe and UK, I do not want that situation ever to happen in the US.

• Haha

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So according to you, 100% of the kids in Dearborn are muslim. Thanks for playing.

They're apparently a majority.

American Christian kids don't care if it's Halal, Kosher, whatever. I matters to some immigrant Muslims, apparently, so it's important to serve what they'll actually eat to meet the goals of the program.

I really don't understand why anybody would get all frothed up about it.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
All I heard from a few folks is that it looks like little Arabia. I do not know the details but I do some have some concerns that it may over the next few decades turn this area into a no-go type of situation. Also if I was a atheist butcher, I will never be able to get employment , since only people of the book [which I doubt, since I cannot imagine Christians or Jews saying “Bismillahirrahmanirrahiyyim” when about to kill the cow.]

After seeing some of the islamic ghettos in Europe and UK, I do not want that situation ever to happen in the US.
Well it isn’t like that at all, and your fears are unfounded.

Nov 25, 2013
They're apparently a majority.

American Christian kids don't care if it's Halal, Kosher, whatever. I matters to some immigrant Muslims, apparently, so it's important to serve what they'll actually eat to meet the goals of the program.

I really don't understand why anybody would get all frothed up about it.

Because Muslims are verrrry scary. First it's the food, then it's forced conversion. Oh so verrrry scary.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Minus the histrionics, I’m inclined to agree with the OP. Halal meat should be an option but not the only option.