Dearborn school district now offering students 100% Halal menu

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I fail to see how killing an animal a certain way to appease a mystical person in the sky contributes to a child’s dietary well being.

Because the child will not eat the food otherwise, making them less healthy.

Is your argument that the school district of Dearborn should be deliberately indifferent to the known dietary restrictions of their student body?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Well it supplies meat that is acceptable to the largest proportion of the population.

Is eating a chicken sandwich a religious act?
Is leading or participating in prayer a religious act?
I eat hahal street meat at least once a week because I enjoy the cultural flavors of the Middle East. I don’t consider that a religious act. But halal food exists to satisfy religious dogma, and is available primarily in areas where there is a large enough population to satisfy it.

Schools offering halal food is a religious accomodation reflective of the community it serves.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It’s analogous
No, it's not. Providing reasonable religious accommodation is in no way analogous to religious establishment, provided all religions are treated equitably.
That last part, equitably, is the only reason we're having this discussion, because some people just have issues with anything equitable that they do not perceive themselves as the beneficiaries of.
In the meantime, school districts and the military have been serving kosher and halal meals, and even fish sticks on Fridays, for decades.

Reactions: sandorski

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I eat hahal street meat at least once a week because I enjoy the cultural flavors of the Middle East. I don’t consider that a religious act. But halal food exists to satisfy religious dogma, and is available primarily in areas where there is a large enough population to satisfy it.

Schools offering halal food is a religious accomodation reflective of the community it serves.

It's unclear to me as to why you think that if it's a religious accommodation matters.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Because the child will not eat the food otherwise, making them less healthy.

Is your argument that the school district of Dearborn should be deliberately indifferent to the known dietary restrictions of their student body?
What is the justification for them to not eat food offered that meets all of the biological nutritional requirements of the human body? Are the children of Dearborn biologically different than children elsewhere that their bodies will reject chicken nuggets?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What is the justification for them to not eat food offered that meets all of the biological nutritional requirements of the human body?
Dog meat also meets same biological nutritional requirements. But most kids wouldn't eat it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What is the justification for them to not eat food offered that meets all of the biological nutritional requirements of the human body? Are the children of Dearborn biologically different than children elsewhere that their bodies will reject chicken nuggets?

The justification is that if the govt were to force them to eat meals that violated their religious beliefs, then that would be a violation of their 1a rights.
Your condescension here is really cute, but it's built on ignorance. This is not something new.

Reactions: Meghan54

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

So in other words your justification for Dearborn to use its citizens' tax dollars to deliberately purchase food that it knows the students it is entrusted to care for won't eat is to bend the children's dietary restrictions to your preferred ones or for them to go hungry.

I would love to see you make that argument to the children directly or to one of their parents. You should be ashamed of yourself.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Halal meat is just meat. Is my chicken and bacon sandwich made with halal chicken a religious accommodation?

Feb 4, 2009
@Starbuck1975 i think you need to clarify what you are saying because it appears many are confused.
I recommend stating what you think school lunches should be and does that extend to other areas such as the military or State run hospice programs or any other thing that may have been missed.
Also clarification as to if you want these “rules” to be nationwide as in the Federal Government should be more involved with (whatever) and if so whom in the Federal Government sets what rules.
Harder but more helpful is if you define what a reasonable accommodation is, I know this is tough so do the best you can.

Feb 4, 2009
So in other words your justification for Dearborn to use its citizens' tax dollars to deliberately purchase food that it knows the students it is entrusted to care for won't eat is to bend the children's dietary restrictions to your preferred ones or for them to go hungry.

I would love to see you make that argument to the children directly or to one of their parents. You should be ashamed of yourself.

BTW it is entirely possible to have kosher/halal chicken nuggets. I’m sure I could buy them somewhere.

Feb 4, 2009
Appears many of Perdue Chicken products are halal compliment. I think the anti halal guys are a mix of Muslim fear and cost fear.

The Perdue site explains halal in a pretty simple manner:

• Halal is an Arabic term that means “permissible” or "lawful" and is founded on cleanliness, health and wholesomeness.
  • Halal-certified meat must be raised and slaughtered per strict Islamic guidelines.
  • The use of any animal by-products is strictly prohibited in halal meat. PERDUE®HARVESTLAND® Halal Chicken is 100% vegetarian fed with no animal by-products.
  • Foodservice represents the main channel contributing to the rise in demand for halal meat. "Halal" has seen a 1-year growth of 66.4% on U.S. menus.3
Starbuck above defines a market

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
@Starbuck1975 i think you need to clarify what you are saying because it appears many are confused.
I recommend stating what you think school lunches should be and does that extend to other areas such as the military or State run hospice programs or any other thing that may have been missed.
Also clarification as to if you want these “rules” to be nationwide as in the Federal Government should be more involved with (whatever) and if so whom in the Federal Government sets what rules.
Harder but more helpful is if you define what a reasonable accommodation is, I know this is tough so do the best you can.
What percentage of the student body is the threshold after which it is acceptable for the government to accomodate religion to implement a standard that only exists due to religious dogma?

If there is one Jewish student in a school and her parents request kosher options, is the school required to accomodate that?

Feb 4, 2009
What percentage of the student body is the threshold after which it is acceptable for the government to accomodate religion to implement a standard that only exists due to religious dogma?

If there is one Jewish student in a school and her parents request kosher options, is the school required to accomodate that?

Tough question and likely different answers for different locations. That is why these decisions are better left to be local decisions.
Regarding one student, provided the cost and effort to comply is similar I see no reason why any school district couldn’t comply.