Dear selfish 'freedom loving' idiots who think masks are going to kill you and that's why you can't wear one in a store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"Magnified intolerance" of people who won't wear masks? Sorry, there's no magnitude of intolerance too high. We should have the same intolerance for stuff like driving drunk and juggling butcher knives while walking down a crowded street. These people are assholes, that's the long and short of it. Their inconvenience trumps someone else's risk of getting ill.

There's not one logical reason to avoid wearing a mask. Just listen for a few minutes to any of those people rant. They sound reasonable and coming from a position of facts and science to anyone?

I don't give two shits if people want the freedom to off themselves. But the entire point is that this can and does affect people in the society you live in, so their right to be self-destructive ends there when it snares in the rest of us.

I wonder how many of these mask-phobia people there really are. My guess is: not a lot. And if that's the case, they should really be making it a priority to getting essentials like groceries delivered.
You wonder how many mask-phobic people there are, GUESSING not many after condemning all of them in absolute and spiteful terms? Don’t be a hypocrite. You listened to a few rants and now know the truth about everybody. Don’t try to take off that mask painted with your judgmental intolerance in your last few words In front of me. Wear it with the same egotistical absolutism you began your post with.

There! Happy now to be called out publicly as an asshole who doesn’t really give a shit.

Now, with that out of the way, and you, doubtless now, having entered a serene and peaceful state, we can proceed to a more logic based discussion:

As we have scientific evidence that wearing masks will mitigate COVID transmission and thus laws will be passed to mandate them, we are now experiencing all the extremes of the reactions to such laws our culture will inevitably produce. Among that portion of the population that will not want to wear them, those who won’t and could will have, by one means or another, forced to or be prevented from public contact. Those with what may be determined to be legitimate reasons for not wearing them, and of unknown number, will need assistance in accomplishing tasks they require without exposing the public. All of this can be done and without losing our minds and condemning everybody in sight. But the nut cases on opposite sides are going to make the task harder out of their egotistical needs to trigger each other, and, of course with total self justification.

People’s need to wear masks to protect others has been judged to be a scientific fact. In public people will thus have to wear them if society is to practice common sense and mandate them. People will have to get used to the fact that’s how it is. Stay calm, enforce the law where applicable and assist those who truly can’t comply. This is the rational thing to do. No need for judgmental condemnation, what is needed is enforcement by progressive enforcement. Ramp down the fuck you, no fuck you. It just gives the assholes on each side delight and motivation to persist. Look at poor mechanical Trump who is emotionally compelled to enlarge his asshole by the day.

Let me add, nobody is getting out of this life free of being wounded by the insane. It is the fear and denial of that inevitability that actually constitutes the insanity. The only escape is love.