Dear Hertz; In what world is a Corolla "equivalent" to a Mazda 6?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,512
21
81
How on earth is a Compact class car considered by Hertz to be "equivalent" to a Midsize? There is not a single, rational person on this earth who would consider the Compact/Subcompact Corolla/Civic to be "equivalent" to the Midsize Mazda 6. That kind of BS bait-and-switch really friggin' annoys me.

/weak rant

ZV
 

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
35,787
6,195
126
Yeah, I got a Chevy HHR with a pathetic engine, though I booked a midsize car.
 

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
7,987
93
91
Heh, Hertz did the same to me. I reserved a midsize earlier this year and got a Corolla! The Corolla handled like crap too--Insanely sensitive steering, and the interior was surprisingly cheap

A few years ago, Hertz gave me a Cavalier for a midsize! It even lacked power door locks or windows, but IIRC, the handling was decent.

I drive rental cars about 3-4 times a month and I feel Hertz's good(?) reputation is undeserved. That's why my first choice by far is National. Avis is slightly better than Hertz.
 

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,512
21
81
Hertz has always been good to me in the past, but their PHL airport location is horrible, absolutely horrible. I was able to reject the Corolla but all that got me was a Civic. At least the Civic handles reasonably well.

You'd think that doing $12k+ of business each year with a company would make them at least try not to shaft me, but apparently not. Guaranteed President's Circle upgrades my ass.

ZV
 

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
10,079
0
0
It could be worse.

They could have given you a Chrysler Town & Country.

Complete with "econ-o-matic" gearbox guaranteed to give a 0-60 time of no more than 20 seconds.
 

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
18,378
1
0
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Hertz has always been good to me in the past, but their PHL airport location is horrible, absolutely horrible. I was able to reject the Corolla but all that got me was a Civic. At least the Civic handles reasonably well.

You'd think that doing $12k+ of business each year with a company would make them at least try not to shaft me, but apparently not. Guaranteed President's Circle upgrades my ass.

ZV

Hahahaha....my gf got a new corolla....it does not handle that bad. May be a little sensitive and it is not sporty, but it still handles well.
 

Knavish

Senior member
May 17, 2002
910
3
81
Yeah same here with Enterprise at DEN -- booked midsize (showing pictures of Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu) and got a choice between a Honda Civic and a PT Cruiser.

I think the "midsized" category is a complete scam. If you want a bigger sedan, you have to go large, and if I'd booked the compact category I would have gotten the Civic anyway.
 

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
28,520
1,575
126
Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.

Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the
reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to
take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and
that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody
can just take them.
 

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
7,987
93
91
Originally posted by: Cheesehead
It could be worse.

They could have given you a Chrysler Town & Country.

Complete with "econ-o-matic" gearbox guaranteed to give a 0-60 time of no more than 20 seconds.
I actually liked the T&C that Avis gave me recently. It was a loaded model with power doors, tailgate, satellite, back-up camera, etc. Very convenient for a trip, but you can't expect Miata-handling for a minivan. :p Parking the whale was not fun, so now I can understand a Minivan Mom struggling with it.
 

LS8

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2008
1,285
0
0
I've only rented from Hertz once and I reserved the smallest car which on the web site said was a Chevrolet Aveo. I ended up getting a Ford Focus instead (with 1,200 miles on the clock). I was pleasantly surprised. :)
 

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
13,295
118
106
I currently have a Mitsubishi Galant (base model...horrible) as a loaner to replace my Stanger while its in the shop. The guy told me that its the closest match they had.
 

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
36,041
472
126
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.

Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the
reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to
take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and
that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody
can just take them.

:thumbsup:
 

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
21,503
8
0
I always seem to get what I asked for or way better. Trip to Canada we signed up to rent a Pontiac G6. They were out of Mid-sized 4 door cars so they gave us the 300 touring edition. Leather and all the other good stuff.
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,414
8,356
126
it's called european sizing. it's better. just like european service.
 

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
17,619
2
76
Hertz has never screwed me over like that. Enterprise has actually always upgraded me to the next car class...I'd frequently get the cheapest thing, and sure enough, they were always out of it. Best thing I got upgraded to was a 4Runner...I really liked that thing.

On a separate note - rented one of the new 6's - drove fairly nice. Didn't feel as "fun" as the old ones did for some reason though.
 

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
7,721
40
91
if you do it around big holidays, it is lottery regardless of your reservation. Usually they don't resolve what you have reserved until you get there to pickup the car.

In my experience, wanted fusion, got malibu V6.
 

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
8,397
393
126
When I was hit in my CTS recently, I got an equivalent car which they considered to be a 4 banger Sebring. That was such a fun car to drive for three weeks while mine was being fixed.
 

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
16,129
2
0
They did the same shit to me when I was in Dallas!
I said med-sized and they gave me a Corolla S.

I didn't have time to argue so I took it. What a POS car. Horrible rear view.
 

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
12,689
3
81
Originally posted by: DaTT
I currently have a Mitsubishi Galant (base model...horrible) as a loaner to replace my Stanger while its in the shop. The guy told me that its the closest match they had.

Hmmm...by closest match, they meant "device with 4 wheels"
 

FHDelux

Junior Member
Dec 24, 2008
21
0
0
I reserved a Mustang convertible, imagine my suprise when they gave me the keys to a toyota solara. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO