Dean CLEARLY Unelectable

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Gets trounced by Bush in the latest polls
Note: This is the first and last time I will EVER post a link from Drudge.

Since the link will most likely get outdated quickly, here's the full text (hopefully Matty doesn't sue).
Democrats Would Choose Dean Over Kerry If the Election Were Held Today
Fri Jan 02 2004 16:46:17 ET

New York ? Asked to vote for a Democratic presidential nominee if the election were held today, twice as many registered Democrats would choose Vermont Gov. Howard Dean (22%) over Mass. Sen. John Kerry (10%) -- or over Conn. Sen. Joseph Lieberman (9%) or Retired Gen. Wesley Clark (8%), according to a new TIME/CNN Poll.

If Dean did NOT run for the nomination, 14 percent of Democrats would choose Kerry, 13% Clark,12% Lieberman, and 10% Missouri Congressman Dick Gephardt.

In direct matchups today against President George W. Bush in 2004, likely voters would choose

# Bush over Dean 51% to 46%,
# Bush over Lieberman 52% to 46%,
# Bush over Kerry 54% to 43%,
# Bush over Gephardt 53% to 44%,
# Bush over Clark 53% to 43%,
# Bush over North Carolina Sen. John Edwards 53% to 43%.

More findings:

# Only 1-in-4 (25%) are paying "very close" attention to the 2004 presidential election right now. Another 22 percent are paying "fairly close" attention, and 25 percent are paying "some" attention, while 17 percent are paying "just a little" attention.

# Things are going well in the country, say 65 percent (up from 53% Nov. 18-19).

The TIME/CNN Poll, conducted on Dec. 30 and Jan. 1, 2003 and 2004 by HarrisInteractive, surveyed 1,004 adult Americans age 18 or older, including 399 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or leaners, by telephone. The overall margin of error is +/- 3.1% pts; the margin for Democrats with leaners is +/-4.9%.

How will the diminuitive Howie ever gain 5 points on Bush? I'm so scared! :p

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
# Things are going well in the country, say 65 percent (up from 53% Nov. 18-19).
US currency isn't doing so well

The US seems to have its share of problems at the moment, BSE, war, terror alerts, money, etc.
Blair made it through the UK "issues" though, Bush might manage the same (although I don't think he has as much of a margin as Blair did).

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So they surveyed:

The TIME/CNN Poll, conducted on Dec. 30 and Jan. 1, 2003 and 2004 by HarrisInteractive, surveyed 1,004 adult Americans age 18 or older, including 399 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or leaners, by telephone. The overall margin of error is +/- 3.1% pts; the margin for Democrats with leaners is +/-4.9%.

This doesn't say where they came up with:

direct matchups today against President George W. Bush in 2004, likely voters would choose

# Bush over Dean 51% to 46%,

Even so the margin of error is over 4.9%, so given that margin and assuming the bush numbers assume the same margin there is still the possibility of nearly 10% of swing in the vote right now, let alone after a campaign that presents the Iraq invasion as either a major intelligence foobar or outright lieing to the american people.

I'm amazed at how much Dean bashing the Repulicrats on this forum do, Dean must really scare you.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
rahvin,

I was being sarcastic with the thread title. ;)

Sarcasms the first unflattering step to becoming a neo-con. Be careful, next thing you'll start adhom, foul language, and eventually die alone and miserable of a heart attack. You don't smoke do ya?

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
rahvin,

Sarcasms the first unflattering step to becoming a neo-con. Be careful, next thing you'll start adhom, foul language, and eventually die alone and miserable of a heart attack. You don't smoke do ya?

Or from what we just learned, a facist. :)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Before Bush has even started campaigning. Last Gallup poll had worse numbers -- trust them more than Time/CNN who probably polled Time subscribers.

rahvin,

Sarcasms the first unflattering step to becoming a LIBERAL. Be careful, next thing you'll start adhom, foul language, and eventually die alone and miserable leaching on public aid. You don't smoke DOPE do ya?

Edited for clarity.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Before Bush has even started campaigning. Last Gallup poll had worse numbers -- trust them more than Time/CNN who probably polled Time subscribers.

rahvin,

Sarcasms the first unflattering step to becoming a LIBERAL. Be careful, next thing you'll start adhom, foul language, and eventually die alone and miserable leaching on public aid. You don't smoke DOPE do ya?

Edited for clarity.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ya know, theres only 1 dem nominee who hasnt tried pot yet [i think its Liberman, but i may be mistaken]

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Andrew:

When Bush starts campaigning? What has he been doing?

When he starts giving speeches the Republicans will be covering their heads with their "cloth coats". :)

Bush is THE single best person on Dean's side. :)

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Oh, and isn't Carville a Clark man? A boy with that accent who roots for LSU couldn't possibly say anything nice about a Yankee. :)
He is about the funniest man in politics today, after W of course.
-Robert

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Polls can be way off too.

A FOX (go figure) poll had Bush beating Gore by 6% the day before the election. And several other polls had Bush winning by 4% or so.

Gore ended up with more votes.

Bush will indeed win re-election unless by some slim chance the voter turnout is unusually high.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious

A FOX (go figure) poll had Bush beating Gore by 6% the day before the election. And several other polls had Bush winning by 4% or so.

Bush will indeed win re-election unless by some slim chance the voter turnout is unusually high.
I agree that Bush will win but I am looking forward to the Debates when he is questioned about the lies he told to get the American public to support the Iraqi Invasion.

buckmasterson

Oct 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I agree that Bush will win but I am looking forward to the Debates when he is questioned about the lies he told to get the American public to support the Iraqi Invasion.

Me too! He has some real explaining to do, and I have no idea how he will do it and save his credibility.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Sounds like someone from the old inner circle got cut out of the new inner circle and is bitter about it...

That article is spun WAY out of context. I saw Carville on Crossfire that day, and to me it looked like he was playing devil's advocate. The debate topic was Dean's big mouth, and the guests were a Dean advisor and a Gephardt advisor. Carville was being even crazier than usual that day, and he looked like he was having a blast blasting Dean. But as they went to commercial break when the segment ended, he put his hand on the Dean advisor's shoulder, and the mic barely picked up him saying something like "Sorry to be so harsh" as he laughed jocularly.

So who knows what the guy was really doing. He's a nut.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Dean CLEARLY Unelectable
Sounds about right to me ;) Honestly, if this goober wins the nomination I feel Bush can just let the Mrs. pick out more decorating stuffs for their rooms in the White House.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
yeah 51 to 46 is "clearly unelectable" if you are a right wing nut.
this is after Bush just got a bump from Saddam.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
yeah 51 to 46 is "clearly unelectable" if you are a right wing nut.
this is after Bush just got a bump from Saddam.

Read the margin of error and also realize that Bush had a lot more funding and has yet to use much of it.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: chess9
Mill:

Will that be good or bad for Bush? :)
(spending money)

-Robert

Well, isn't it obvious why politicians raise money? Almost always the person with the bigger war chest wins. Bush still has high enough approval ratings to have a fairly decent shot of having the lead and never looking back.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: buckmasterson

Me too! He has some real explaining to do, and I have no idea how he will do it and save his credibility.

What credibility? That factor hasn't mattered for him yet.