Dean calls for new business controls **Clark blasts him for it**

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Great. We'll make capitalism work by creating state-controlled monopolies. People will trust the corporations because if they don't, they'll have to go to another country to get what they want.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: rjain
Great. We'll make capitalism work by creating state-controlled monopolies. People will trust the corporations because if they don't, they'll have to go to another country to get what they want.

I don't think that is anywhere near what he is suggesting.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
Specifics. I need specifics.

Dean listed likely targets for what he dubbed as his "re-regulation" campaign: utilities, large media companies and any business that offers stock options. Dean did not rule out "re-regulating" the telecommunications industry, too.

same info - different print press.

I'm sure we'll hear more about the specifics...IF people pick this up, unless it's buried by the press of his brother's situation.

CkG

That tells me nothing. It's as ambiguous as "I'll cut spending".

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That tells me nothing. It's as ambiguous as "I'll cut spending".
-----------------------
You mind telling me just how you plan to cut spending. You're pretty vague.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I think he should start with doing something to prevent Clear Channel from buying up every single damn radio station and then ruining them. I hate Clear Channel.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
So don't listen to Clear Channel. This isn't the Soviet Union, as much as Dean seems to support state-controlled monopolies.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Deregulating deregualtion is good thing because there are too many monopolies or oligarhies. It's impossible to start some capital intensive businesses today and be profitable or even compete because of thier power. Hardware stores, automaking, and any media are some examples. Then Microsoft..a company who has 95%+ of the market is a monopoly and should be disolved. Thier power over other sofware makers and PC makers like dell is sickening. They could put dell or gateway out of business tomorrow by stop selling OS to them.

Or would you prefer we go back to robber barren days? things are headed that way.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Do you really want one single hardware store, automaker, or media outlet? That's what creating state-controlled monopolies will do.

Do you even remember the days when you had to get service from one single phone company or not get a phone at all? Do you really think the service and price structures of those days are more desirable than the competitive markets we have now? No more VoIP, no more Sprint, no more MCI. I guess you'll only have one ISP, too. I'm sure you'll love to be locked into one ISP who doesn't care about you because it's illegal for anyone to compete with them.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
So don't listen to Clear Channel. This isn't the Soviet Union, as much as Dean seems to support state-controlled monopolies.
Wish I could. But when CC owns a large amount of the radio frequency licences for an area, it's difficult to listen to other stations, especially since our current technology limits us to a finite amount of stations.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Do you really want one single hardware store, automaker, or media outlet? That's what creating state-controlled monopolies will do.

Have you looked outside your Window? That is where we are heading now WITH De-regulation.

Yes, I see lots of competition, actually. Ever heard of Kia or Hyundai cars? Ever seen the competition between Lowe's, Home Depot, and all the other small hardware stores out there. Retail never had and never will have a high barrier to entry, so that's a non-issue. Media isn't hard either. I see plenty of small newspapers and lots of web sites. Sure, starting a TV or Radio station isn't easy, but there are plenty of other ways.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
?In order to make capitalism work for ordinary human beings, you have to have regulation,? Dean said. ?Right now, workers are getting screwed.?

Many Republicans typically characterize looser rules and mandates on business and trade as key facilitators of economic growth.

(That's right AT experts also have said the Economy has been growing all these years, and you At Economy experts that will defend, that the Corps have the right to maximize profits etc. Well what has De-Regulation profits done for us? The Economy has tanked, wages have gone down (again there will be AT experts to argue wages have gone up) and the jobs shipped overseas by the very same Corps. Yea, that's a recipe for success
rolleye.gif
)

As governor of Vermont, Dean advocated deregulation, angering some environmentalists. But the events of the past two years have convinced him deregulation is to blame for many of the nation?s problems.

(A Politician that can learn and admit a mistake, my gosh, unheard of)

Dean, who talked at length about the historical ebb and flow of regulation, said there is a ?danger? to pushing his re-regulation movement too far. But under Bush, ?deregulation has increased the corporate power enormously,? he said.

In an interview around midnight Monday on his campaign plane with a small group of reporters, Dean listed likely targets for what he dubbed as his ?re-regulation? campaign: utilities, large media companies and any business that offers stock options. Dean did not rule out ?re-regulating? the telecommunications industry, too.

Bush is fighting some in his own party to loosen rules for media ownership.
?I certainly would reverse media deregulation,? Dean said. ?I would go back to the limitations on how many stations you can own in a given market.?

Voters are clearly hungry for government efforts to force better corporate behavior...

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Clear channel is a prefect example of deregulations gone bad because they only half deregulated radio.

I think that if the goverment is going to tell me that I can't do something then they should regulate the people that are granted the right.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Spencer: Which is exactly why Dean is talking out of his ass. When I hear "government-regulated", I think of the monopolies of the 70s (energy, telecom).

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Do you even remember the days when you had to get service from one single phone company or not get a phone at all? Do you really think the service and price structures of those days are more desirable than the competitive markets we have now? No more VoIP, no more Sprint, no more MCI. I guess you'll only have one ISP, too. I'm sure you'll love to be locked into one ISP who doesn't care about you because it's illegal for anyone to compete with them.

Where is anyone suggesting state controlled monopolies? I think you are projecting a bit here.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Where is anyone suggesting state controlled monopolies? I think you are projecting a bit here.

Just like de-regulation has been pegged as "un-regulated" which is not the case. I'm not sure how de-regulation ruined the economy though - that seems to be quite a stretch to link causation. Was there not deregulation during the "booming" 90's? I think projecting the economic decline on deregulation is quite a stretch.

CkG

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Virge:

Yes, that is one of the big problems with monopolies, but CCC has done something even more dastardly, particularly from my point of view. One of their stations in Cleveland was encouraging drivers to throw bottles at bike riders, cut them off, give them the finger, etc. Once they realized they had tapped into a gold mine of right wing SUV/speeder/this road is my road sentiment they moved the tactic to more of their stations. One of their major advertisers in Raleigh pulled her advertising, I'm told, because she felt it was so irresponsible. It's one thing to avoid listening and quite another when you fear others WILL be listening.

So, I would recommend a boycott of their stations.

Anyway, yet another reason to feel fear and loathing about the right wing.....

-Robert

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003

Projecting what? That's what regulation is all about. The government controls the pricing, the government controls the volume, the government controls who is allowed to be in the business and who does business with whom. Effectively from the point of view of a specific consumer or producer or even literally, that evolves into a monopoly.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

Projecting what? That's what regulation is all about. The government controls the pricing, the government controls the volume, the government controls who is allowed to be in the business and who does business with whom. Effectively from the point of view of a specific consumer or producer or even literally, that evolves into a monopoly.

Yeah like radio before it was deregulated half the stations where the same and operated by the same companys and there where areas where you could only get radio by one company read a monoploy. Now that radio has been deregulated there little thousands of small new companys only owning a few stations.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: chess9
Virge:

Yes, that is one of the big problems with monopolies, but CCC has done something even more dastardly, particularly from my point of view. One of their stations in Cleveland was encouraging drivers to throw bottles at bike riders, cut them off, give them the finger, etc. Once they realized they had tapped into a gold mine of right wing SUV/speeder/this road is my road sentiment they moved the tactic to more of their stations. One of their major advertisers in Raleigh pulled her advertising, I'm told, because she felt it was so irresponsible. It's one thing to avoid listening and quite another when you fear others WILL be listening.

So, I would recommend a boycott of their stations.

Anyway, yet another reason to feel fear and loathing about the right wing.....

-Robert

rolleye.gif
So a station did that and it's clear Channel's fault? I guess it's just like blaming Bush for everything that happens with in the gov't:p Boycott all you want - nobody is stifling your voice:)

I got a kick out of the story though....but there wasn't a bike rider near me;):p

CkG

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
The first time it happened only the DJs could be blamed. By the third time I think the biking and triathlon community weren't jumping to any conclusions when they blamed CCC. But, for an SUV hugger, I'm sure the story brought a tear to your eye. :)

On a more sober note, this is what talk radio has become unfortunately. They pander, like the Fox Cartoon Network, Drudge, and Flush the Stash Limbaugh, to their audience's basest impulses. Nuance is just a dirty 6 letter word to them....

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Are you married CAD? Sheezh...how do you get time to post so much? I can only squeeze in a few minutes a day to bash the right wing wackos. No wonder they are winning. :)

-Robert