Dean Beats Cheney in Weekend Fundraising

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Boston Globe

Vice President Dick Cheney got up yesterday morning, boarded Air Force Two and flew to Columbia, S.C., where he rode in a motorcade to a private home, shook hands, and posed for pictures with 150 donors at a luncheon. There he raised $300,000 for the Bush-Cheney reelection committee before flying home.

Over four days ending last night, Howard Dean outdid the vice president -- without leaving his campaign headquarters in Burlington, Vt.

In a testament to the power of Internet fund-raising, and the intensity of the Democratic presidential contender's support, Dean raised $344,000 for his campaign by the time of the Cheney lunch. All Dean's staff did was tell their supporters about Cheney's event via the Internet and challenge them to surpass the vice president's total.

By 12:30 this morning, Dean's total stood at $507,150, with contributions from 9,500 people, the campaign said, adding that the counting was expected to continue overnight.

Of course Cheney probably could have raised over $1 million if he wined and dined every night this weekend (when he only did so for one night), but its still an enlightening news story.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
My question is - where is the other ~18.5 million from thos 9500 supporters? 9500*2000=19million. I'd think if people really did want Dean they'd give every last penny they had since they'll definately get it back in programs under Dean. Well maybe they realized they needed to save some of that money just incase Dean did get elected so they'd have enough money to pay for the tax increase Dean is promising.;)

Good to see the Dems have a golden boy though.:)

CkG

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
My question is - where is the other ~18.5 million from thos 9500 supporters? 9500*2000=19million. I'd think if people really did want Dean they'd give every last penny they had since they'll definately get it back in programs under Dean. Well maybe they realized they needed to save some of that money just incase Dean did get elected so they'd have enough money to pay for the tax increase Dean is promising.;)

Good to see the Dems have a golden boy though.:)

CkG

Well, perhaps its because Dean's supporters aren't all in the top tax bracket. And what programs of Dean's would you be talking of where people are going to get every last penny back??
"The tax increase Dean is promising" Oh nooooo....Taxes like they were in 1998!! Who will ever get by with that burden?!?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Seriously Doubtful. Dean has very little support amongst white male voters. Unless he becomes more centrist, he isn't going anywhere. He is about as far left as George Bush is right and that isn't going to work.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Seriously Doubtful. Dean has very little support amongst white male voters. Unless he becomes more centrist, he isn't going anywhere. He is about as far left as George Bush is right and that isn't going to work.

Bush isn't far right :p Heck even some of us conservatives are accusing him of being too far left, and we aren't even FAR right.

It also isn't just Dean that is having problems with the white male vote, it happens to be most of the Democrat candidates.:)

I give Dean credit though - he's doing pretty good even considering his leftist tactics and positions. In fact it is comical to see the other dems scrambling to be as left as he is :p

CkG

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
How is Dean far to the left?? What policies did he enact as gov of Vermont or what stances does he have now that make him a "lefist"??

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Boston Globe

Vice President Dick Cheney got up yesterday morning, boarded Air Force Two and flew to Columbia, S.C., where he rode in a motorcade to a private home, shook hands, and posed for pictures with 150 donors at a luncheon. There he raised $300,000 for the Bush-Cheney reelection committee before flying home.

Over four days ending last night, Howard Dean outdid the vice president -- without leaving his campaign headquarters in Burlington, Vt.

In a testament to the power of Internet fund-raising, and the intensity of the Democratic presidential contender's support, Dean raised $344,000 for his campaign by the time of the Cheney lunch. All Dean's staff did was tell their supporters about Cheney's event via the Internet and challenge them to surpass the vice president's total.

By 12:30 this morning, Dean's total stood at $507,150, with contributions from 9,500 people, the campaign said, adding that the counting was expected to continue overnight.

Of course Cheney probably could have raised over $1 million if he wined and dined every night this weekend (when he only did so for one night), but its still an enlightening news story.

I thought bush/cheney was raising too much money. Will will the liberals complain about dean raising too mcuh money.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
How is Dean far to the left?? What policies did he enact as gov of Vermont or what stances does he have now that make him a "lefist"??

Shhhh! Quit spouting out the truth!

For some reason the "liberal" media and his opponents like to paint him as some wild leftist. I think this is due to a) His opposition to the war and b) His universal healthcare plan. But if one does a Nexis search of news articles when Dean was governor of Vermont, there isn't one instance when Dean or his policies are described as "liberal" or "progressive". In fact, every single person from Vermont has described him as a moderate, and the "leftists" of the state had many battles with him. He's labeled a leftist because its a convenient and easy attack for the opposition.

I thought bush/cheney was raising too much money. Will will the liberals complain about dean raising too mcuh money.

I wasn't aware that being against raising too much money is a "liberal" issue. It should be an issue for all.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

I don't know. How much money is too much? How else are both sides supposed to finance their pathetic negative ad campaigns?

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Dean..HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i hope he gets the dem nomination
could end up worse than mondale's loss...
that would be cool.

ogmios

Jul 28, 2003

Bush isn't far right :p Heck even some of us conservatives are accusing him of being too far left, and we aren't even FAR right.

It also isn't just Dean that is having problems with the white male vote, it happens to be most of the Democrat candidates.:)

I give Dean credit though - he's doing pretty good even considering his leftist tactics and positions. In fact it is comical to see the other dems scrambling to be as left as he is :p

CkG

People's political self-positioning is pre-Galilei era Catholic astronomy. Everybody seems to think they are in the middle ground and others are too far right or left according to their taste. So, if Bush may be considered far left by some of 'you' conservatives, and you are not even far right, can you please give me some examples of whom we can consider "far right"? Frankly, it just makes me shudder to just think about it.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jahawkin

He wants to socialize medicine and raise taxes to do it. That is enough to make him a "liberal" or "leftist" in most people's eyes.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: ogmios

CkG

People's political self-positioning is pre-Galilei era Catholic astronomy. Everybody seems to think they are in the middle ground and others are too far right or left according to their taste. So, if Bush may be considered far left by some of 'you' conservatives, and you are not even far right, can you please give me some examples of whom we can consider "far right"? Frankly, it just makes me shudder to just think about it.

Ron Paul is about as far right as republicans get. Bush is running from near center if not left of right now(fiscally speaking anyway).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: GuyDebordJudoClub
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

He wants to socialize medicine and raise taxes to do it. That is enough to make him a "liberal" or "leftist" in most people's eyes.

That is enough to make him a "human being" in most people's eyes.
True socialization will make him a human being in all people's eyes?

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people." - Conan O'Brien

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: GuyDebordJudoClub
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

That is enough to make him a "human being" in most people's eyes.
True socialization will make him a human being in all people's eyes?

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people." - Conan O'Brien

that was so NOT funny