Dean backpeddles on Social security age

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
linkage

WASHINGTON (AP) Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean said Wednesday that he misspoke when he told the AFL-CIO he never favored raising the retirement age for Social Security benefits to age 70.

Dean acknowledged that he had called for such an increase when the country was faced with a deficit in 1995, but said he no longer thinks it is necessary. He said former President Clinton set an example of balancing the budget without raising the retirement age.

''Clinton proved that if you run a decent economy and have a budget surplus and some jobs, then you don't need to raise the age to extend the life of Social Security,'' Dean said in a telephone interview after The Associated Press questioned conflicting statements he has made on the issue.

The current retirement age for receiving full program benefits is 65 years and two months. The retirement age will gradually rise to 67 over the next two decades.

Dean's false statement came Tuesday night during an appearance at the AFL-CIO's Democratic presidential candidate forum.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, who favors taking it back to age 65, criticized Dean for saying he'd raise to 68 or 70. Dean responded, ''I have never favored a Social Security retirement age of 70 nor do I favor one of 68.''

But that contradicted a 1995 article in which Dean said he wanted to raise it to age 70 to help balance the budget. It also contradicted a television appearance in June in which Dean said he would consider raising the age to 68.

This will make balancing the budget that much harder.

zantac

Jun 15, 2003
Its possible to change an opinion in 8-9 years, however i think dean's full of it, he beats around the bush on too many subjects

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zantac
Its possible to change an opinion in 8-9 years, however i think dean's full of it, he beats around the bush on too many subjects

It also contradicted a television appearance in June in which Dean said he would consider raising the age to 68.

Did you read the entire thing?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
What's Bush's plan for balancing the budget?
:music: Jeopardy tune :music:

Good question.....
I am still waiting for any candidate to answer this question.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Balancing the budget won't save social security it only puts failure out a bit further. And in any case no D or R politician will make any serious effort to balance the budget or fix/replace SS once elected.

They may fiddle with the numbers a bit but in the end the deficit will increase and future generations will be saddled with the problem. Hey isn't it about time for Bush to raise the debt ceiling again?