Dealer gets my car into accident

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
They are liable for the car while it is in their care, thus they are liable for any damages as well as long term depreciation of the vehicle due to it being in an accident. Call the dealership and ask to speak to the legal department

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
You people that think the dealership is going to do anything other than just fix the damages need to lay off the crack.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin
You people that think the dealership is going to do anything other than just fix the damages need to lay off the crack.

So if it was your car you be OK losing 10-20% of its value for something that was not your fault and something you had no control over?
rolleye.gif
YEA RIGHT

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

One word for you "liability"

Same thing as if luckydragon decides to enter the rental car in a demolition derby contest.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

One word for you "liability"

Same thing as if luckydragon decides to enter the rental car in a demolition derby contest.

I just thought vividly of that Jack@ss stunt where they did just that... lol

They are pretty much liable... so their insurance should be paying and your insurance needs to be involved to collect from their insurance company though. You shouldn't have to pay a rent cent but if you were in NJ or other insurance nightmare state, your premiums would go up even though you didn't even get into that accident.

10-20% of the value of the vehicle, you'd prolly have to go to court to argue that though... but you'd likely win.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
If you have full coverage on your car then your insurance company goes after them with guns blazing. I found out now Insurance company's make yourself go after claims if you don't have collision and not just liability.

On a related issue, awhile back my friend took his car to good year to get his brakes done. He comes back to pick up the car and the keys where missing for the ignition. Of course they told him the key to the ignition was missing before they handled the car....
must of been one short ass test drive! No wonder why everybody has a lawyer these days, because of idiots like these.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

You do realize this is a Lexus dealership we're talking about. They handle cases like these with extreme care.
If the dealership doesn't treat him right, he can simply call a 1800 number and get the big people involved.
Each Lexus dealership strives to receive some sort of merit for being a good dealership ( forgot what the hell it was called ) , and I do believe they get extra incentives for doing just that.
I highly doubt they'll pay him the extra money like what another member suggested, but they might throw in lifetime maintainance or something, Free detailing and what not.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a awesome trade in deal where he'd be making out ahead for a new car.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
how is anyone else gonna know it was in an accident unless you:

a. tell them
b. has a salvage title
c. they do a crappy job and you can tell

either way why would u tell the dealer when u trade it it...oh by the way it has been in an accident...dotn tell anyone...

and for a salvage title it has to be pretty much totaled

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
how is anyone else gonna know it was in an accident unless you:

a. tell them
b. has a salvage title

and for a salvage title it has to be pretty much totaled

If a car gets into an accident, aren't they required to report it ?
Also I doubt Lexus dealership would stoop that low as to cover something like this up.

It'll prolly already show up on carfax as it's going/went through insurance.