Dealer Consignment Issue

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
I had purchased a car from this dealership that I regularly purchase trucks from. (Their truck dealership is fine, their car dealership on the other hand is, what I have found pretty shady). I traded in my other car to be sold on consignment. They are in a high traffic area and I didn't want to deal with craigslist anymore.

The bottom line I had down was 6500. Well a couple months had passed, I drive by the dealership every morning seeing the car on the lot. The last couple weeks the car has been off the lot.

I finally get around to calling the dealership and asking if the car sold. They said yes. Last week (which I find hard to believe since it's been gone for more than 2 weeks). The weird thing is, no one knows how much it sold for. They had the car at 8990. I have a feeling they are doctoring the paperwork to make it look like they sold it at my bottom line of 6500 (minus their 1500 commission fee). Their excuse at the moment is that there is a financing issue...

I have still to hear a reply from them on how much they sold the car for. I haven't received a check yet, and I really feel they should have notified me immediately after the car was sold.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm asking them for hard copies of the original receipt work and documentation but I feel they could easily forge those documents to make it look like it was sold for less. I would think the price would be VERY easy to look up for them. Feel like this situation is turning to be a legal issue that needs to be addressed soon.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Get the buyers info and contact the buyer.

Find out when the vehicle was purchased and what the price was.

If the auto side of the house is not willing to provide the info; bump it upstairs with your concerns.

If you have a good rapport with the truck side; ask them if they can verify the info. You do not want to have them get you a copy of the paperwork; it wold potentially get them in trouble.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
See if you can get a copy of the bill of sale from the state.
Or if any paperwork you get has the buyers name; call the buyer and ask what they paid.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
Are they allowed to give me the buyer's information? I figured that would be confidential, especially personal information such as name, his/her phone number, address, etc...

Also any one familiar with California law's regarding this?

Are they legally obligated to show me the original bill of sale and the buyer's contact information? I'll reveal the dealership once I get it all sorted out.

Also I do have a good rapport with truck dealership but they are of course liable to be just as shady since they are the same company. They were bought out by this company so things have changed a little. I usually buy their trucks with no bullshit or heavy negotiating attached so I have been a decent client of theirs.

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Are they allowed to give me the buyer's information? I figured that would be confidential, especially personal information such as name, his/her phone number, address, etc...

Are they legally obligated to show me the original bill of sale and the buyer's contact information? I'll reveal the dealership once I get it all sorted out.

Also I do have a good rapport with truck dealership but they are of course liable to be just as shady since they are the same company. They were bought out by this company so things have changed a little. I usually buy their trucks with no bullshit or heavy negotiating attached so I have been a decent client of theirs.

how did you not discuss these things prior to leaving the car with them for consignment?

when it comes to buying/selling cars it seems people's common sense go completely out the windwo

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

Unless there is some privacy law I'm sure anything that goes through Gov hands, esp when Taxs are there, is open to public request.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
how did you not discuss these things prior to leaving the car with them for consignment?

when it comes to buying/selling cars it seems people's common sense go completely out the windwo

Discussed what? They have my vehicle up for consignment they should be contacting me once it was sold... They even took the time to take my car off the website. Where did my common sense go out the window? Also since I do buy trucks from their dealership regularly, I was expecting the same customer service applied to this.

I have the contract as well, will look at it in depth right now. Contacted the DMV and said I may file a complaint with the state attorney's office.

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Discussed what? They have my vehicle up for consignment they should be contacting me once it was sold... They even took the time to take my car off the website. Where did my common sense go out the window? Also since I do buy trucks from their dealership regularly, I was expecting the same customer service applied to this.

I have the contract as well, will look at it in depth right now. Contacted the DMV and said I may file a complaint with the state attorney's office.

you are concerned they sold the vehicle for say 8000 and then they will tell you they sold it for your bottom dollar of 6500, correct?

How did you not discuss how the sales amount would be disclosed to you?

further, how did you not discuss with them your legal rights with the consignment? like if they had to disclose the buyer's info.

did you sign over the title to dealer?

edit:
why would you file a complaint at this point? you sound as hard to deal with as the car salesman.

Last edited:

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
you are concerned they sold the vehicle for say 8000 and then they will tell you they sold it for your bottom dollar of 6500, correct?

How did you not discuss how the sales amount would be disclosed to you?

further, how did you not discuss with them your legal rights with the consignment? like if they had to disclose the buyer's info.

did you sign over the title to dealer?

edit:
why would you file a complaint at this point? you sound as hard to deal with as the car salesman.

I'm concerned that they are "unable" to find the bill of sale. The car looked to be sold at least 2-3 weeks ago. I am a regular customer so I was never under the idea of this transaction being a potential red flag.

When I handed over the car to them, they asked my bottom line (which was 6500). They of course said would start at a much higher price and work their way down. Last time I saw the car on the website, it was at 8990. Maybe they sold it at 8990, maybe they sold it at 6500. But I feel asking for proof of the bill of sale is not a outrageous request. Also the contract states that I will be given the amount of the car sold minus their commission fee of the agreed 1500. It's not like I walked in there and just handed the keys over without going through and signing paperwork associated with the consignment.

I would not care about the buyer if they would show me the original bill of sale which they can't seem to find. Bullshit because everything is electronic at their office. For tax purposes as well, they should have it. Also they are of decent size for a dealership, not a small one by any means.

They should have told me the day of that the car has been sold, not having myself inquiry about it. They had me pre-sign the title (which was protocol with their consignment arrangements). I will be filing a complaint because I haven't received a check for my sold car, nor have I been told how much the car was sold for.

I feel you're just arguing to argue. Didn't ask for an argument, was just looking for useful advice.

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I'm concerned that they are "unable" to find the bill of sale. The car looked to be sold at least 2-3 weeks ago. I am a regular customer so I was never under the idea of this transaction being a potential red flag.

When I handed over the car to them, they asked my bottom line (which was 6500). They of course said would start at a much higher price and work their way down. Last time I saw the car on the website, it was at 8990. Maybe they sold it at 8990, maybe they sold it at 6500. But I feel asking for proof of the bill of sale is not a outrageous request. Also the contract states that I will be given the amount of the car sold minus their commission fee of the agreed 1500. It's not like I walked in there and just handed the keys over without going through and signing paperwork associated with the consignment.

I would not care about the buyer if they would show me the original bill of sale which they can't seem to find. Bullshit because everything is electronic at their office. For tax purposes as well, they should have it. Also they are of decent size for a dealership, not a small one by any means.

They should have told me the day of that the car has been sold, not having myself inquiry about it. They had me pre-sign the title (which was protocol with their consignment arrangements). I will be filing a complaint because I haven't received a check for my sold car, nor have I been told how much the car was sold for.

I feel you're just arguing to argue. Didn't ask for an argument, was just looking for useful advice.
so how much did they tell you it sold for?

if they haven't told you yet, I think you have your underwear all bunched up a bit premature at this point

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
so how much did they tell you it sold for?

if they haven't told you yet, I think you have your underwear all bunched up a bit premature at this point

LOL fvcking troll, my whole problem is they haven't told me what they sold it for and continue to shy away from answering.

This place sometimes isn't any better than Yahoo answers.
/end discussion

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
If they get $1500 no matter what, where is the incentive to sell it for more than $6500. They probably did sell it for $6500, quick sale, easy cash.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
LOL fvcking troll, my whole problem is they haven't told me what they sold it for and continue to shy away from answering.

/end discussion

Personally I'd head down to the dealership and ask to see the manager. Then ask for the bill of sale. There is no way in hell they don't have a copy of it around there. You need to get the actual price and see what they show you before you can make any long term decisions.

It's going to be a hell of a lot harder to tell you they don't know if you are there in person also.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
If they get $1500 no matter what, where is the incentive to sell it for more than $6500. They probably did sell it for $6500, quick sale, easy cash.

This. They make the same money, and probably gain a happy customer, at your expense; why didn't you just trade it? The risk is on them...that's their business. If they want to lowball your trade to ensure they make a healthy profit, then walk away and buy from someone that doesn't need to be underhanded to make money.

Sorry if that's mean, your arrangement just sounds like a bit of a ruse (not technically a 'scam,' but dishonest and predatory). And I hate to see businesses like that...well, stay in business.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002

/end discussion

so because they might being honest, but haven't given you an amount yet you need to file a complaint? and the car might not even be sold yet, you stated they said they had issue with the financing

What if they call you tomorrow and said they sold the car for 8250?

sounds to me like you should have had your ducks in a row before consigning the car.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Personally I'd head down to the dealership and ask to see the manager. Then ask for the bill of sale. There is no way in hell they don't have a copy of it around there. You need to get the actual price and see what they show you before you can make any long term decisions.

It's going to be a hell of a lot harder to tell you they don't know if you are there in person also.

I believe his concern is that they sold it for 8500, tell him they sold it for 6500, cut him a check for 5000 (6500 "sale price" - 1500 commission.) instead of the 7000 he should get.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
I believe his concern is that they sold it for 8500, tell him they sold it for 6500, cut him a check for 5000 (6500 "sale price" - 1500 commission.) instead of the 7000 he should get.

Yes but he needs to see what price they are saying. Quite frankly him not getting an answer right now is the real issue. For all you know they will show the original bill of sale. The point is he needs to get an answer on what they said it sold for first. If they tell him $7990 - I have a feeling he is fine with it.

Anyway he needs to get a number and some time of proof of sale first before he can do anything.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
Yes but he needs to see what price they are saying. Quite frankly him not getting an answer right now is the real issue. For all you know they will show the original bill of sale. The point is he needs to get an answer on what they said it sold for first. If they tell him $7990 - I have a feeling he is fine with it.

Anyway he needs to get a number and some time of proof of sale first before he can do anything.

Exactly, I feel this would be a simple "let me look that up."

I'm just being suspicious, since it shouldn't be this difficult to get the bill of sale or the purchase price. I'm fine if they tell me it sold for 6500, as long as it matches the original documents.

Stopping by the dealership tomorrow since phone calls are obviously not working.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I don't see why the dealer wouldn't just sell it for 6500 right away with this arrangement?

You think they are going to put in extra work and time to get the best buck when they get $1500 no matter what?

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't see why the dealer wouldn't just sell it for 6500 right away with this arrangement?

You think they are going to put in extra work and time to get the best buck when they get $1500 no matter what?
Jesus you just don't get it.

1. Say they Sold the car for $9000, told him they sold it for $6500 and therefore cut him the check for $5000. The dealer then keep the remaining $4000.

People are scum, especially salesman.

Last edited:

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Jesus you just don't get it.

1. Say they Sold the car for $9000, told him they sold it for $6500 and therefore cut him the check for $5000. The dealer then keep the remaining $4000.

I do get it, its very simple.

The idea the dealer could easily lie about what they sold the car for is fairly ridiculous though. Given that fact, I'd think they would sell for the minimum asap.

The fact they don't have any information at hand for the OP is crazy. The car is either sold or not sold. If it is sold, they should easily know the price. If its not, where the hell is the car?

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
I do get it, its very simple.

The idea the dealer could easily lie about what they sold the car for is fairly ridiculous though. Given that fact, I'd think they would sell for the minimum asap.

The fact they don't have any information at hand for the OP is crazy. The car is either sold or not sold. If it is sold, they should easily know the price. If its not, where the hell is the car?

Walked in yesterday unexpected. They went off for 20 minutes "looking" for the bill of sale. Came back and said they sold it for 7200, and they'll cut me a check minus $2000 commission fee. I showed them the contract (said 1500), they couldn't argue that. I wanted to see the bill of sale but they still couldn't present one (I had to leave, meeting right after). I didn't accept the check yet, as I am awaiting the bill of sale and a copy of the title with the price on it. And yes they did sell the car 2 weeks ago, never bothered to call me.

In regards to the consignment service. The 1500 is also for the service of having the car on the lot at the max price to work it's way down to my bottom line. If they kept turning cars over at the bottom line, I doubt their consignment business would be around (plus I think that's where most of their profits come from).

Stopping by today, not leaving till I get that proof.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
OP, may as well start listing the dealer's name & address and the people you've dealt with at the dealership.