Deal Too Good to Pass Up? Friend wants to sell a spare i5-3570K system.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by WhipperSnapper, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhipperSnapper

Is this deal too good to pass up?

One of my co-workers recently built a system while his main system was down and now he no longer has any use for it. He's offering to sell it for $750. Specs:

Core i5-3570K (quad core, Ivy Bridge, unlocked)
    Corsair H60 Water Cooler HSF
    16 GB (2x8) Geil DDR3 1866
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX mobo
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 2GB DDR5 (special model for Best Buy)
    128 GB Kingston HyperX SSD
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Antec BP550 Plus modular power supply
    Antec 300 case (only has the rear and top fans)
    DVD-RW drive

This guy is a computer enthusiast, so I know that it's built well. He says that it easily overclocks to 4.5 Ghz without getting real hot with rock solid stability (Prime 95) (and that it could probably be overclocked further).

It's definitely a huge upgrade over my current seven year old rig (Socket 939 dual core Opteron 185 overclocked to 2.8 Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 8800 GT, Win XP Pro). But I don't really need a new computer--I can play the games I want to play now on what I have and I'm not sure the utility of a new rig would be worth $750 to me. Also, I'm not the wealthiest guy in the world and I do try to squeeze as much utility as I can (as practical) out of what I have. I could probably keep using my current rig for another two or three years.

However, the allure of a modern system that can get up to 4.5 Ghz without much difficulty is alluring.

Is this deal too good to pass up?

-------------------
    Locked - Rule #14 No price checks allowed

JackMDS, Mod.

#1 WhipperSnapper, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Deal Good Pass Forum Date
    Good Deal or Should I Buy Elsewhere? General Hardware Jan 29, 2017
    Is Lenovo 310-15IKB 15.6" i5 Laptop 8GB Ram, good deal General Hardware Nov 17, 2016
    Is This A Good Deal? General Hardware Aug 13, 2015
    Where can I ask if this processor/motherboard combo is a good deal? General Hardware Aug 7, 2014
    OK guys, i just thought this deal was too good to pass up... General Hardware Oct 6, 2000

3. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

First off, if you don't really need a new PC for the games you play, don't buy it. That's as simple as it gets, but I know it isn't always that easy...

I think $750 is a little bit too much for all of that used hardware; since gaming is your priority, you don't need 16GB RAM or Windows Ultimate. Buying new you could get better gaming performance for less money - GTX 560 just isn't that fast. And if buying new components you could get a better SSD and a more modern case.

#2 lehtv, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

I don't see a large hard drive in there, and 128 gigs isn't enough for the OS and many games so it doesn't seem complete to me. For that price I wouldn't bother.

5. DooKey

DooKey Golden Member

If you can get him to knock $100 off then you are getting a decent deal. For $750 I wouldn't buy it.

6. WhipperSnapper

We'll see. For $650 I think I'd probably do it. I have a 1.5 TB Sata HD sitting around that I'd probably pop in the case along with a 128 GB SSD that I could add in, so hard drives aren't really an issue. I assume that my 200 GB IDE drives are done for since a newer MOBO probably wouldn't have legacy IDE ports.

7. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

Since you already have a 128GB SSD, it isn't worth it to pay for a rig that comes with another one. The price of the SSD would be better allocated to a faster graphics card. This makes it even easier to get better gaming performance for the money with new components

8. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

How is this not a price check?

9. Blain

Blain Lifer

#8 Blain, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

I agree with VirtualLarry's logic that it isn't a price check in the sense in which the forum rules forbid it...

11. Blain

Blain Lifer

So Zap should have been challenged on his ruling?

12. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

13. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

Ah, I wasn't aware that this was a cross-post. There's another reason for it to go (rule #10).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.