Deal or No Deal - 1999 BMW M3

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fritzo, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&listingId=89752589&aff=aol

Clean, fast, cheap, low miles, and a drop top! This guy should get you to 60mph in under 6 seconds and the suspension will make if seem like you're driving on flypaper. Looks good! What'cha think?

#1 Fritzo, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  2. rasczak

rasczak Lifer

Nice. I like it.

3. FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat Lifer

If its under $10k and under 100,000 miles, I say go for it. :)

4. Saint Nick

Saint Nick Lifer

Looks awesome. I'm not a fan of convertibles. I really love that same model but in a coupe. Does anyone remember BMWfilms?

5. CraigRT

CraigRT Lifer

My favorite M3 ever.. If you want a 'vert, that is a damn good choice.

6. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

Link doesn't work.

Big question is how many miles and how much?

E36 M3 is a great car but underpowered in US. It's a bored out 2.8 liter Inline 6 and not a TRUE motorsports engine.

It does handle great.

as any used car, it comes down to service records. DO NOT even touch without them.

These cars are hard to find in good condition/well taken care of and at low price.

Also as far as straight line performance goes, these are mid/low 14 second cars.......something most current Family sedans can do fairly easy. It's no speed demon by ANY measure.

But still a great car. I like the design over ANY new BMW. E46 was nice but sounded like crap. I'm old school, if you were to ask me
    E30>E36 > E46 > everything after (I'm not a fan of new BMW designs, too busy/ugly for my taste).

7. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

It's an automatic though...I feel you need a manual for a proper M3. This one has the 3.2L I6 24V MPFI DOHC and is under $12000.

(fixed link)

8. FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat Lifer

Its pretty. The seats are little tired and things are expensive to fix. Check the condition of the top. Ive had 3 convertibles - two were brand new and one was used.

I used to prefer manuals but now that Im old and no longer care about peel outs, etc, autos are good for enjoying a slurpee in stop and go traffic and no shifting / clutch riding.

$8500 - $9500 max I would pay. :)

9. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

Auto is a deal breaker for me.

Although these did come with the first 5 speed transmissions on US market car.....along with Audi A4.

So it has 70k not bad.

That's not a bad price but I would not touch it without ALL the service records history.

10. God Mode

God Mode Platinum Member

Forget service records and all that nonsense. Take it to a BMW dealership and get a PPI inspection or go home. It's about $150-200 and well worth avoiding the potential headache. Old euro cars with problems = a bad time. This is why the resale value on so many of them drop like a rock once the warranty period is over.

11. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

That.

And even with a good report, tread carefully. It's at the age and mileage where a lot of things are going to go wrong and in an M3 those things are expensive. That low price is only a fraction of what you'd likely spend on the car over the next two years.

12. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

Still need service records but PPI inspection would be a good thing to do as well.

You DO NOT want a neglected car (as far as maintenance goes). Especially one that's German.

I would say Service records are MORE important than inspection. Remember paying BMW to go over your car and tell you if there is anything wrong is not in their best interest PRIOR to you buying the car.

Heck they might hide things from you just so you come back with plenty of business.

Also, anyone buying this car should have VERY good knowledge/experience about these cars.

If this is some kind of "ohh look it's an M3, it would be cool to have" impulse buy...stay away.

What exactly are you looking for OP?

#12 Vdubchaos, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  13. God Mode

God Mode Platinum Member

You have no clue if you think the dealership will risk a pissed off service customer by lying to them over an expensive 150-200 inspection. A PPI tells you the current condition of the car, if the TSB's were performed and if any part has significant wear, engine compression etc etc. Service records can be fudged and tells the potential buyer nothing about the pitfalls of the car in its current condition.

14. Zeze

Zeze Diamond Member

Good luck paying for ridiculous repair costs of a 13 yo M3. That'll make the car's cost of 10K feel like nothing.

15. 96Firebird

96Firebird Diamond Member

16. Puppies04

Puppies04 Diamond Member

It is 12 years old lol, stick it on a track (these involve corners that turn in different directions not just a big oval if you weren't quite sure)with just about any 400bhp American made "sports car" with their awesome horse and cart suspension and it will win hands down :D.

17. SKORPI0

SKORPI0 Lifer

18. bigpimpatl

bigpimpatl Senior member

Economically, the dealership/repair shop has no incentive to tell you everything that is wrong with the car. They want your future business. You have to go to someone you trust.

19. halik

halik Lifer

20. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

I REALLY hope you are kidding...

350hp vette (which btw cost less than M3 back in 99) would spank the M3 on just about any track of your choice.

I won't even get into reliability, cost to fix/maintain and especially modify.

Not even a contest.

#20 Vdubchaos, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  21. Zargon

Zargon Lifer

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

Beautiful car - my favorite BMW of all time. Although the old 80's M6 is a close 2nd.

Biggest drawback is the plastic rear window - its not glass and clouds easily. The suspension on these is rock hard.

23. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Hahahaha, not even that.

Put it on a track against a new Mustang V6 and it'll get it's ass handed to it. Handily.

Not that I don't like M3s. An automatic US-Spec E36 M3 is hardly a rocket though. It's just an enjoyable car to drive.

24. jlee

jlee Lifer

Challenge accepted.

25. manimal

manimal Lifer

lol coast to coast! I drive by there every day. They usually have clean cars that are a bit overpriced.

Auto vert e36s are somewhat meh to me.