Deadbeat eBay bidders

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I timed my auction perfectly for my phone to end on the day the new one was released. Then some guy with 0 feedback wins for $630 and doesn't pay. eBay sees other suspicious behavior and bans the account.

Then I have to re-list my phone while eBay is flooded with millions of second-hand phones, all competing with mine.

[edit 2015-10-03]

The re-listed auction ended Wednesday night. Initially, Paypal delayed this thing with a message on the transaction saying they were checking things out because it was suspicious. The warning specifically said NOT to ship the product until they say it's OK. Paypal delayed my shipping for almost exactly 24 hours.

The buyer was disappointed by this. He said it's a present for his wife's birthday on Sunday.

It was close to midnight Thursday night when I finally got the "OK" from Paypal. To ensure the package would be on its way to Los Angeles as quickly as possible, I traveled far out of my way to a major post office near the Atlanta airport (they have their own "postal police" patrolling the huge facility). It used to operate 24/7, but recently changed to 6AM-12AM every day. I got it shipped via the automated postal unit Thursday night / Friday morning (12:44 AM, 10/2). Priority Mail in medium flat-rate box.

It was 17 hours before they even scanned it at another nearby facility.
Now 45 hours since I shipped it, there's no indication that it left Atlanta.

Code:
DATE       TIME  STATUS OF ITEM                  LOCATION         
2015-10-02 17:57 Arrived at USPS Origin Facility Atlanta, GA 30320
2015-10-02 00:44 Acceptance (SSK)                Atlanta, GA 30304

I really hope the buyer doesn't have a complaint about >1 day handling time and demand some kind of refund or leave negative feedback. I couldn't risk shipping it and getting screwed because Paypal specifically said not to ship it yet.

It just blows my mind that I've gotten things to WV so quickly (like the video card I sent to my nephew), but this thing isn't going anywhere.

I documented wiping the phone and packaging it on video. I started by showing that there was no iCloud account, then showed the serial number / specs, then I selected the option to "Erase all content and settings" as I placed it into the original box and sealed it up. Then I remembered that my old, inactive SIM is still inserted. I wonder if I raised some red flags.

1) my origin zip code on the return address (30263) was a good distance from the post office I took it to.

2) I took it there after midnight.

3) perhaps RF emissions are detected from my package?

4) perhaps the recipient raises red flags with the post office as they did with Paypal?

The recipient has an ethnic-sounding name, but I don't recognize the ethnicity.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Next time buy it now PayPal payments only immediate payment required.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I guess I complained prematurely. It ended for $645 :p

[edit]
...as long as it's not another 0-feedback bidder and I have to repeat this whole thing.

Last edited:

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I seriously just had a moment of transient dyslexia, and briefly believed your headline read "Dead baby eaters." I think I've been spending too much time in abortion threads in P&N.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I absolutely HATE 0 feedback bidders. They always pull this crap and 9 times out of ten they will out bid you and I'm like like, "you mother fucker! BS you're gonna pay that for this item." I even use Gixen!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What I don't get about that is as a bidder there is a pretty big warning that you MUST commit to pay and buy if you win. How do these people get away with this?

Been a while since I sold anything on ebay though, I tend to buy more. I always pay right away, I want the item as fast as possible, so it makes no sense to delay the transaction by not paying. I've had a few issues though where I go through the payment process but for whatever reason it never goes through and I don't know it didn't go through till I get a notice that I did not pay.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
What will ultimately happen is the buyer will get an unpayed strike against his name and he will have a hard time buying from someone who has their buying rules in the auction set right. I think the minimum you can block in the ebay options is 2 unpayed item strikes. I use that rule myself when I list.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yep, ebay is a pile of shit. same thing happened for me when PS4 came out. i had an extra one because i won one from taco bell and decided to try and flip one on ebay. same crap happened. by the time it would have ended the 2nd auction i wouldn't have made anything since ebay fees are retarded now. i just ended up returning it to amazon.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I timed my auction perfectly for my phone to end on the day the new one was released. Then some guy with 0 feedback wins for $630 and doesn't pay. eBay sees other suspicious behavior and bans the account.

Then I have to re-list my phone while eBay is flooded with millions of second-hand phones, all competing with mine.

Why don't you go to the next highest bidder.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

that never works. at least in my experience. i've tried that like 5 times. never once heard back from the 2nd highest bidder. which makes sense. because by the time you have lost, you've moved on to another item, especially when it's an item that is in demand and easily found. it's not like he was selling a one of a kind item.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
that never works. at least in my experience. i've tried that like 5 times. never once heard back from the 2nd highest bidder. which makes sense. because by the time you have lost, you've moved on to another item, especially when it's an item that is in demand and easily found. it's not like he was selling a one of a kind item.

It's worked for me several times as a seller.

It's also worked for me as a buyer!! I had someone contact me after a few days. Worked with him directly and made payment.

You just got to contact them ASAP....

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Next time buy it now PayPal payments only immediate payment required.

That doesn't work when your goal is to get top-dollar for it and the market is being upset by a new model.

What I don't get about that is as a bidder there is a pretty big warning that you MUST commit to pay and buy if you win. How do these people get away with this?

Been a while since I sold anything on ebay though, I tend to buy more. I always pay right away, I want the item as fast as possible, so it makes no sense to delay the transaction by not paying. I've had a few issues though where I go through the payment process but for whatever reason it never goes through and I don't know it didn't go through till I get a notice that I did not pay.
The last couple times it's happened to me it seemed like fake accounts set up to send your potential buyers to a similar listing. They don't care if it gets banned.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
My understanding is that they refunded everything and deleted almost any trace of the auction so that wasn't an option. Glad it wasn't since it ended up selling for more.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yeah. Those potential buyers would have moved on to the next listing and the next and the next until they got one.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The original listing:
3e8df3063393bca75ada47918c4fe895.jpg

The relisting:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/131615972277

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
holy fuck, that's how much a used phone goes for? The fuck @ apple and their followers.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
holy fuck, that's how much a used phone goes for? The fuck @ apple and their followers.

I was kinda disappointed in that price.

My 5s 64GB closed for $630 a year ago.

This "Plus" model should have been worth +$100 MSRP. I paid $950

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It's still $850 new ($100 less than he paid a year ago).

Every year we bump into people telling us that those "get up to $200 for your old phone" deals are the best we could reasonably expect and every year we prove to them exactly why they are dead wrong. Those trade-in deals are willing to offer you that much because your old phone actually sells for quite a lot more. Why not be the one to sell it for yourself?

It's not just Apple users. I could have sold my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for $590 last year but I decided to do a friend a favor instead.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Never thought I'd see the day when a phone costs over half a grand.
If you want a cell phone, they can be had for $10. If you want a state-of-the-art handheld computer with the ability to perform an immense number of tasks, and replace many other devices, including a cell phone, then it can cost that much and more.

In adjusted dollars, some of the telephones at the old Ma Bell store where you had to buy them back in the early 70's, probably costs near that. All they did was work as a phone, intercom, and have multiple lines. Plus get your wallet raped if you called long distance. I like the current selection of services and device options millions of times more. ;)

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
If you want a cell phone, they can be had for $10. If you want a state-of-the-art handheld computer with the ability to perform an immense number of tasks, and replace many other devices, including a cell phone, then it can cost that much and more.

In adjusted dollars, some of the telephones at the old Ma Bell store where you had to buy them back in the early 70's, probably costs near that. All they did was work as a phone, intercom, and have multiple lines. Plus get your wallet raped if you called long distance. I like the current selection of services and device options millions of times more. ;)

Of course! You can't watch cat videos on a landline. :awe: