*Dead* WOW Open Beta Now avail on official site

JasonK

Jan 24, 2000
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

World of Warcraft Open Beta Client Now Available!
The World of Warcraft community site and the open beta account-creation pages are currently unavailable. We are experiencing technical difficulties on our end and are working diligently to restore service to this site.

For those who would like to get a head start on downloading the open beta client, we now have it available for you here: [PC] [MAC]

Please keep in mind the following important points:

* You can download the open beta client, but playing in the World of Warcraft open beta test requires that you create an open beta account using the account-creation pages on WorldofWarcraft.com. These pages are currently offline, but we are working hard to bring them back up as soon as possible.

* Access to the open beta test will be limited based on server capacity, so if more people download the open beta client than can be supported by the open beta servers, some people might not get the opportunity to play.

When the website comes back up, we will be able to provide the open beta account-creation pages so that people can create open beta accounts and start playing if they.ve downloaded the open beta client (or download the client if they haven.t done so already). We do not currently have an estimated time for when the site will come back up, but we are working extremely hard to solve these technical difficulties as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime. For those interested in learning more about the World of Warcraft open beta test, please review the open beta FAQ.

Please note that until the World of Warcraft website has been restored, any further World of Warcraft updates will be posted on our www.Battle.net website.

Edit: Sign up link <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/menu.html;jsessionid=ABB9C14B842FD321E36068AD6431948D.app03">https://signup.worldofwarcr......68AD6431948D.app03</a>

Edit: Sign ups closed due to overload of people signing up. Front page shows over 500K+ signups. Over 40 servers running. Have fun everyone, the lag is pretty bad on lower number servers, i.e. 1-30

JasonK

Jan 24, 2000
Beta client uses a torrent like p2p system, hrmm kinda shady, can see everyones ip and kills upload bandwidth =(

globalcitizen

Sep 6, 2004
The account creation sites are down. I gripe i have is the downloader uploads at a faster speed than it downloads the client.

Emrys

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2002
Originally posted by: JasonK
Beta client uses a torrent like p2p system, hrmm kinda shady, can see everyones ip and kills upload bandwidth =(

Also makes it so I can't get it because my university blocks bit torrent.

JasonK

Jan 24, 2000
103 mb downloaded, 84 uploaded. Gah this torrent thing really sucks weenies, cant even throttle the upload so my download could be better utilized.

mplogic

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
heh, me too codeyf. Pretty cool game, they also named the official release date of Nov. 23 I believe for retail. I read somewhere that the stress test almost brought down file planet's servers as 81,000 people tried to download all at once, no surprise that the open beta download is slow as that.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
anyone else gettig

The World of Warcraft community site and the open beta account-creation pages are currently unavailable. We are experiencing technical difficulties on our end and are working diligently to restore service to this site.

?

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
is there anyway to 'pause' the download? all i see is cancel... or what if i turn off my computer in the middle of it? will i have to start downloading again from 0 ?

ApacheChief

Oct 2, 2004
Downloading now, VERY slow... I thought they'd have huge servers contributing to this download, or atleast limiting upload to something like 13...

VietDude

Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: skunkbuster
is there anyway to 'pause' the download? all i see is cancel... or what if i turn off my computer in the middle of it? will i have to start downloading again from 0 ?

if u cancel u can restart it again and select the same location. it's a bittorrent app, works the same way

TSx

Feb 9, 2004
Originally posted by: skunkbuster

I've been in beta since the beginning and every patch has been done with a client similar to this. If you need/want to stop it, just cancel...you should have a file something like world_of_warcraft_stress_test_installer_downloader.exe in the directory you saved to, just run that and it will continue; it resumes just like a normal torrent client.

The worst thing about their client is the inability to slow speeds. For me on cable, I can upload up to 30k/sec, but if I go over 25k/sec, my download goes from a possible 400k/sec to about 50k/sec, so it kills the download speeds. I picked up a program called DU Super Controller ( link ) which has a 14 day trial for free. Simple install, run the program, select the blizzard downloader in the program list, change the upload to whatever speed you want; I put mine at 25k/sec and it worked great, my upload went at 25k/sec and download stayed around 350k/sec.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Ever since I got Bellsouth DSL, I've had problems downloading via bittorrent...can't seem to download faster than 10k/s...almost as if the DSL modem is firewalling my connection. I wonder if there is a way to disable that, since I never even asked for that option to begin with...ugh

DTBH

Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Avalon
Ever since I got Bellsouth DSL, I've had problems downloading via bittorrent...can't seem to download faster than 10k/s...almost as if the DSL modem is firewalling my connection. I wonder if there is a way to disable that, since I never even asked for that option to begin with...ugh

Are u using a router? If you are it could be a nat problem.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
thanks op, i'm in.
I downloaded the client with a certain other bittorrent client, w00t.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
If this is a hot deal why am I sensing a regular monthly payment coming soon to a pc near me.

saltedeggman

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: oogabooga
thanks op, i'm in.
I downloaded the client with a certain other bittorrent client, w00t.

where did you get the torrent file for it...

the torrent file i got from suprnova is slow....very very ssssssslow