Dead US soldier hung on public display in Iraqi town

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Dead US soldier hung on public display
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/01/1048962731737.html
April 1 2003

US Marines moved into the southern Iraqi town of Shatrah today to recover the body of a dead comrade which had been hanged in the town square, officers said.

Hundreds of troops were dispatched on the operation after intelligence reports indicated the body of a dead American, who was killed in a firefight last week, had been paraded through the streets and hanged in public.

"We would like to retrieve the body of the marine but it is not our sole purpose," said Lieutenant-Colonel Pete Owen, of the First Marine Expeditionary Force.

Military sources said another part of the operation was to arm local militias to fight against members of the ruling Baath party loyal to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

Shatrah is some 40 km north of Nasiriyah, where Iraqi forces have been harassing US supply lines and putting up tough resistance for more than a week.

- AFP
I had not heard of AFP before so I searched and found their website - seems legit to me.
http://www.wash.afp.com/english/home/

Stratum9

Apr 13, 2002
I wondered when reports like this would start coming in. Unfortunately it won't be the last. There will probably be worse than just bodies hanging in the town square. From things that I've read, finding a fence with American heads stuck onto the fence posts could become a posiblitly.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

fvckin' barbarians.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

fvckin' barbarians.

Did you expect a tea party?

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

fvckin' barbarians.

People fell for the "Iraq will rise up and fight back against Saddam" crap, that all the military will lay down their weapons, and people will be cheering us on when we arrive in Iraq. The propoganda only works in the US I guess.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000

fvckin' barbarians.

Yeah.. its not like raining death from the sky or anything...

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
It was done most likely so that we would respond the way we did in Mogadishu.

We don't have the stomach for this kind of warfare....I think they are going to be proven VERY wrong.

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
I hope his family doesn't see the pictures.

I am also not surprised by this. This is a down and dirty fight. A REAL WAR!!!!!, not this BS video game crap Americans have come to almost expect. Get used to worse to come.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: justint

I am also not surprised by this. This is a down and dirty fight. A REAL WAR!!!!!, not this BS video game crap Americans have come to almost expect. Get used to worse to come.

BS, that is not war. That is the sign of a decayed culture.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: etech

It's years of repression and years of anti-American propaganda being force-fed to these people. All they know is centuries old behavior which, by western standards, seems quite barbaric at times.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

It's years of repression and years of anti-American propaganda being force-fed to these people. All they know is centuries old behavior which, by western standards, seems quite barbaric at times.

I thought he was responding to the part about video games. *shrug*

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999

Kind of like the decayed American culture shown during Vietnam??

from Bob Kerry, Silver Star Winner in Vietnam

?I had some misgivings about Detroit,? says Kerry now. ?In the end I think it was too harsh ? too difficult for Americans to connect to.? He doubted that simply stacking up US atrocities against Vietnamese ones would help people understand the war. These reservations ultimately led him to the antiwar action for which he is most remembered ? testifying before the Senate on April 23, 1971. Kerry thought a more broad-based critique of the war would be more successful in reaching Middle America. Wearing old fatigues, he testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as a spokesman for VVAW, reciting a litany of American atrocities committed in Indochina. He had learned these stories two months earlier at a VVAW inquiry in Detroit: ?They told stories that at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power,? Kerry stated before going on to his main point about the need to end the war, the line everyone remembers.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

?I had some misgivings about Detroit,? says Kerry now. ?In the end I think it was too harsh ? too difficult for Americans to connect to.? He doubted that simply stacking up US atrocities against Vietnamese ones would help people understand the war. These reservations ultimately led him to the antiwar action for which he is most remembered ? testifying before the Senate on April 23, 1971. Kerry thought a more broad-based critique of the war would be more successful in reaching Middle America. Wearing old fatigues, he testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as a spokesman for VVAW, reciting a litany of American atrocities committed in Indochina. He had learned these stories two months earlier at a VVAW inquiry in Detroit: ?They told stories that at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power,? Kerry stated before going on to his main point about the need to end the war, the line everyone remembers.

What is that saying? "It is easier to see the splinter in another's eye than the log in your own." Something like that.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

I thought he was responding to the part about video games. *shrug*
Oh...probably.

Still..my comment stands as toward the action taken by the Iraqis.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Nice try, but we had politicians and people condemning those actions. In Iraq you will see it shown on TV and people celebrating.
In Iraq torture and acts of brutality are state sponsored and condoned. That is not what happened in Vietnam as your post shows.

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999

Nice try, but we had politicians and people condemning those actions. In Iraq you will see it shown on TV and people celebrating.
In Iraq torture and acts of brutality are state sponsored and condoned. That is not what happened in Vietnam as your post shows.

As I recall Lt. Cally was pardoned by Nixon, made the rounds of Conservative groups where he was treated as a hero..and had a massive fund set up where thousands of people contributed to his defense fund. Not exactly ringing condemenation.

And I think you would find lots of Americans chearing and celbrating if invaders of our country were strung up and shown on TV. What about if Osama was found and tortured..I think you would find people paying to see that.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
justint
And I think you would find lots of Americans chearing and celbrating if invaders of our country were strung up and shown on TV. What about if Osama was found and tortured..I think you would find people paying to see that.

That's the difference in the countries, if OBL was captured he would not be tortured and strung up on public TV. Some people might want it, but it would not happen.

InfectedMushroom

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
That's the difference in the countries, if OBL was captured he would not be tortured and strung up on public TV. Some people might want it, but it would not happen.

Heh, you willing to bet your life it's not happening right now to those captured in afghanistan and still held without any rights at guantanamo bay?

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001

fvckin' barbarians.

Some people do.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: InfectedMushroom

Heh, you willing to bet your life it's not happening right now to those captured in afghanistan and still held without any rights at guantanamo bay?

As a state policy, condoned by the government and approved of by the people and shown on TV. You damn right.

Contrast that to the regime in Iraq or the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
As a state policy, condoned by the government and approved of by the people and shown on TV. You damn right.

Contrast that to the regime in Iraq or the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

The same people who blame us for shooting when someone runs through a checkpoint have no problem when the Iraqi's purposely mortar their own civilians. I spent 2 hours trying to convince one of them why it's not "honorable" to do that. It's got nothing to do with Iraq or this war. It's just "us" versus "them". It could be any war in any country under any circumstances and we would still be the bad guy...99% of it due to the political stripe of the current WH occupant.