[dead]uber HAWT Plextor 16x dvd RW PX-740A $40 AR ($15 AR or $40 NO MIR!! possible!!) @ BB & 20 FREE dual layer DVDs!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mwabad22

Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: gibster
Went in today, they were out of the 10 paks, so they gave me one Memorex 25 pak! I overheard a manager talk to the CSR about this - he was saying keep the little "sorry for the misprint" sign around, but take care of this one (me), because they do not want to give free DL DVDs to everybody. Can't say I blame them, these Memorex puppies ring up at $80 (can't be worth that much - weren't these DL DVDs down to about $1 per DVD?). One hell of a deal, I'm still sending in the 2 rebates for $50, after getting the drive for $70 + tax, not to mention the 20 TDK DVD-Rs. Yowza!

The store I used to work at, in Costa Mesa, CA, is totally cleared out. They did a SKU check for me, and found out that nearby Westminster, CA has about 40 left from a stock of 350+.

My friend and I found plenty of the drives at the Westminster store, and grabbed two that had the TDK 20pk stickers on them.

Went out to the register, with our ammunition printouts, and the register girl was sorda clueless. Apparently she's pretty good at playing dumb, or, no one else had tried this deal there yet. We showed her our fliers and printouts, and asked politely for the price advertised. She rang us up, and then said we could not have the DL DVD's since it wasn't part of the box. I asked her to look at the advertisement, which clearly states that there are 20 free DL DVDs included. She went over to the LP manager to ask, and then asked me to go check for the Verbatim 10pks myself. Of me and my friend go.

There were no more Verbatims!! We checked the SKU with a sales rep on the floor, and there were no more.

So we told them that, and she went to ask the LP manager again, who referred a supervisor to us. GOD the supervisor was in a very very BITCHY mood. I wasn't yelling, or screaming; I was just asking politely for them to honor the advertisement. She asked us to wait, and probably went on break for a while, because I'm sure I didn't see her in the media section. Came back practically half an hour later after my friend and I had been waiting..... said there were not Verbatim DVD DL 10pks, and that she would substitute 2 "Dynex" 5pks instead.

I was NOT okay with substituting the Dynex brand, as it is a crappy brand, and she was only going to give us 10 DVD DL's. I politely declined, sticking to my guns about the advertisement. She replied condescendingly that if I didn't want the Dynex, I'd get nothing. I think I was too shocked to yell at her, and by the time I recovered I decided not to make a mess, instead politely asking her again, while raising my voice so surrounding customers could hear.

This visibly disturbed the supervisor, because customers started looking over at our conversation, so she went off again, and came back about 15 minutes later with 2x 25pks of Memorex DL's, one for each of us!!

I was surprised a bit when the Memorex's rang up for $79.99 :) I asked for the $20 rebate when none printed out, but the advertisement didn't mention it (at least this one) so I didn't have any proof to push it :( Oh well! I have the official Plextor rebate still!

I was sort of angry that the supervisor was all prissy to me and my friend, I used to work for Best Buy as a supervisor for a few years, and I know all their tricks. When I was a supervisor, I tried to keep my customers happy.. did they change anything when I was gone? :( I was pretty close to asking for the general manager to be called out! I didn't want to cause any trouble, it was supposed to be quick and painless, but eh, I guess I ran into the wrong supervisor!

Oh well! I got my drive, 20 TDK DVD+R's, and 25 Memorex DVD+R DL's !! $30 BB $20 Plextor $5 Pricegrabber rebates! I'm a happy camper, even though it took considerable effort to obtain these things! :roll:

Thanks OP for the great deal!! :thumbsup:

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Anybody get a rejection on bad upc code? They said I sent in the wrong one or none at all. I kept a copy of the UPC and when I called they said it's not the right one and needs to start with a 7, mine starts with a 5. I didn't keep the original package... so just checking to see if it's my mistake?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: dman
Anybody get a rejection on bad upc code? They said I sent in the wrong one or none at all. I kept a copy of the UPC and when I called they said it's not the right one and needs to start with a 7, mine starts with a 5. I didn't keep the original package... so just checking to see if it's my mistake?

Did you get a white or black bezel drive? This was black-bezel only. If you got black, perhaps someone removed the UPC sticker covering the original before you bought it? The UPC underneath was probably for the white faceplate drives (Mine had no free discs inside so it wasn't covered for that).

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Black Bezel, and really can't recall what it was since I've submitted about 4-5 different rebates recently and the one I photocopied off of this one was less than ideal. I guess in the future I'll have to take digital snapshots of the packaging too. :| Oh well, $20 down the tubes I guess.

[edit]Good idea (Below) on going to Best Buy. Bit of a drive so it'll be a few days for me. I did get the box with the DVD's in it, so, that part is right but I can check out the box to see what I may or may not have missed UPC wise. [/edit]

Devistater

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2001
Just goto bestbuy and check what UPC they have on it right now, the boxes with the free dvds in it. Its possible that you got one of the packages without the dvds, and they are only giving the rebate on the ones with the dvds and perhaps they have differant UPCs.

Also check the BB receipt, see if the SKU there matches what the rebates require (the SKU is shown on the BB rebates, link in OP)