Dead topic

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
you get cut up on a table to determine how you died officially, then burned, or buried.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
You die, and you stay dead. Your body decomposes, and eventual only bones are left.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Wolfcastle
Originally posted by: grrl
No one knows. /thread

That's a very absolute statement. Absent any way to prove it, you'd be an idiot to continue to say it without any way of proving it. Sorry to be so harsh. It's just that the original question asked to be very specific, and you are being very specific without the necessary proof.

My 'proof' is that no one can know unless they die and come back to life or if someone communicates with you from the dead, neither of which, IMHO, has or can happen. (Apologies to John Edward.)

Would it be more convincing if I wrote that I 'know' I'll go to heaven because I'm Christian?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Wolfcastle
No one knows. /thread

That's a very absolute statement. Absent any way to prove it, you'd be an idiot to continue to say it without any way of proving it. Sorry to be so harsh. It's just that the original question asked to be very specific, and you are being very specific without the necessary proof.

My 'proof' is that no one can know unless they die and come back to life or if someone communicates with you from the dead, neither of which, IMHO, has or can happen. (Apologies to John Edward.)

Would it be more convincing if I wrote that I 'know' I'll go to heaven because I'm Christian?

Only if you quote some passage from some book written by man thousands of years ago in order to scare people into treating each other decently.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Topic: Do you KNOW what happens to you after you die?

Originally posted by: huberm
I believe that everyone goes to either Heaven or hell when they die. I came to this belief by examining the Bible. I determined that many things in it have been verified as historically accurate. I have also searched for anything that could have possibly been proven historically inaccurate, and found nothing. Therefore, if everything I have discovered in it can be sensibly determined as accurate, and nothing could be found and determined to be inaccurate, I can conclude that all of it is accurate. With that being said, it is my belief that what the Bible says about death is accurate and one determines which place they go to when they die according to who they live their life for.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I think it's not likely we'll ever know what, if anything, happens after we die.
I think it's unfortunate that people and religions invest such importance in this question.
I think a complete disregard of this question can open one up to experience existence in a much more fully involved and aware way, regardless of ideaology.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks

I believe that everyone goes to either Heaven or hell when they die. I came to this belief by examining the Bible. I determined that many things in it have been verified as historically accurate. I have also searched for anything that could have possibly been proven historically inaccurate, and found nothing. Therefore, if everything I have discovered in it can be sensibly determined as accurate, and nothing could be found and determined to be inaccurate, I can conclude that all of it is accurate. With that being said, it is my belief that what the Bible says about death is accurate and one determines which place they go to when they die according to who they live their life for.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

It always amazes me how atheists/agnostics (I am one too) spend so much time whining about how theists treat them like crap for their beliefs or lack there of... Yet so many do that very same thing to others.

I guess they have become what they hate...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If my wishes are honored then sky burial. Hopefully I won't be embalmed*. But being dead I won't have any say in the matter.

*Unless my embalmed corpse is incorporated into some roadside attraction. In which case I will enjoy an afterlife, giggling.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused

It always amazes me how atheists/agnostics (I am one too) spend so much time whining about how theists treat them like crap for their beliefs or lack there of... Yet so many do that very same thing to others.

Look up, something just went over your head.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
If my wish are followed, I want my body to be launched whole into the sun, where I will be creamated by the heat of the sun and my essence blown through the universe.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

No, not really. I know where the quote comes from. I addressed why you used it.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
My body will be burned to ashes, or I will rot in a coffin six feet under. That is all.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
You know that feeling when you fall asleep than you wake up the following morning and you realize the past x-number of hours were a total blank? Yeah...

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

No, not really. I know where the quote comes from. I addressed why you used it.

I used it because the OP asked if anyone KNEW and hub wrote about what he BELIEVED. It in no way answered or addressed the OP question. Hub brought his religious beliefs into a thread requesting knowledge, i.e. provable facts. It's my right to address that.

But that aside, his logic is pretty Amusing. He somehow determines that there are no historical inaccuracies in the bible, so concludes that it must be entirely accurate. ?

Additionally, atheists/agnostics should not take absolutest or mocking positions regarding the existence of a supreme being. Religion however is an entirely different animal, and I find no difference in mocking the bible when it is characterized as a factual document than in mocking someone who believes interdimensional aliens built the pyramids.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well there are several theories which I've had put to me personally over the years about this:

1) I will burn in a fiery hell for not being a Lutheran.

2) I will burn in a fiery hell for not being a Baptist.

3) I will hang out in purgatory or possibly in one of the lesser rings of hell depending on how much money I donate (source: Catholic school).

4) I will burn in a fiery hell for how god made me (assuming there is one)

5) Nothing, I will cease to exist.

6) No clue

I currently lean heavily to #6.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001

In my opinion, this should be worthy of a ban.