[DEAD]Seasonic Prime Ultra 550w power supply $64.99 after $20 MIR Newegg (Dec. 24 only)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
12 years? That's just getting ... crazy. Are these pro-rated warranties (Which, at the end of nearly 12 years, you would get back nearly nothing), or are these bona-fide replacement warranties? I'm wondering how that they can offer such a long warranty on a consumer electronics product.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
12 years? That's just getting ... crazy. Are these pro-rated warranties (Which, at the end of nearly 12 years, you would get back nearly nothing), or are these bona-fide replacement warranties? I'm wondering how that they can offer such a long warranty on a consumer electronics product.

From what I have seen they send a replacement unit, and give you the remaining time left on the 12 years. But honestly the way these things are made, and the components they use, I imagine most will go well past 12 years of use.

I imagine many people replace them before they fail (which I typically have done in the past when I do a new build). Although my current PSU in my sig I will likely keep and reuse for my next 1-2 builds as long as it is providing stable power.

I will say one thing I noticed on several of Seasonic's new product lineup spec sheets (Focus, Prime, etc) is they state the MTBF is 50,000 hours at 40c, and 150,000 hours at 25c. Whereas EVGA rates the G3 (7-10 year warranty) series at 100,000 MTBF at 50c. This why I disable the "eco" mode and have my PSU fan run at a low RPM all the time. The cooler it stays, the longer it lasts.

Still, they all should last a very long time.

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It is a nice psu but I rather have platinum or better (power efficiency). Hum are these really any different than the other models internally or just the same unit with longer warranty? All my systems have seasonic psu 'cept one which has a capstone - i forget who makes it but it has performed well. Pity seasonic doesn't make sfx psu though the cosair is pretty decent (next build will be one of these ultra small jobs with ghost or m1 or something or other case).

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
One thing about those 12 years is if it was actually running the whole time, you'd expect some dust to build up inside. I'd be opening and cleaning it out before redeployment at some system upgrade point, to try to ensure long life and more air extraction, but if the case stickers are breeched the warranty is void.

Guess you could try using a thin paintbrush through the grill or a leaf blower to dust it. :rolleyes:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
One thing about those 12 years is if it was actually running the whole time, you'd expect some dust to build up inside. I'd be opening and cleaning it out before redeployment at some system upgrade point, to try to ensure long life and more air extraction, but if the case stickers are breeched the warranty is void.

Guess you could try using a thin paintbrush through the grill or a leaf blower to dust it. :rolleyes:

Nothing a good case with filters won't mostly take care of, and what little bit gets in, a can of compressed air will take that :)

But yeah, don't ever let your PC get a blanket of dust in it (like several long-term members of this forum have done).

Reactions: estarkey7

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It is a nice psu but I rather have platinum or better (power efficiency). Hum are these really any different than the other models internally or just the same unit with longer warranty? All my systems have seasonic psu 'cept one which has a capstone - i forget who makes it but it has performed well. Pity seasonic doesn't make sfx psu though the cosair is pretty decent (next build will be one of these ultra small jobs with ghost or m1 or something or other case).

Each one is different. I generally trust JonnyGuru for reviews, and when they open them up, there are differences in design, fans, and components. Usually the premium ones feature mostly polymer capacitors (some get mixed in with high-end Japanese traditional capacitors, generally on the secondary board). Plus, just the overall build quality is better.

For example, here is the inside of a Seasonic Prime:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=487

Here is the Focus Plus Gold:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=524

And a budget 430w EVGA (manufactured by HEC):

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=431

Reactions: RadiclDreamer

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Each one is different. I generally trust JonnyGuru for reviews, and when they open them up, there are differences in design, fans, and components. Usually the premium ones feature mostly polymer capacitors (some get mixed in with high-end Japanese traditional capacitors, generally on the secondary board). Plus, just the overall build quality is better.

For example, here is the inside of a Seasonic Prime:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=487

Here is the Focus Plus Gold:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=524

They skimped on the shortest lived component, no interest in trying to run their so-called FBD generic fan for 2 years in a horizontal orientation, let alone 12.

It's not so odd that reviewer OKW didn't call them on the Prime's fan stating "You see any problems with build quality? Because I sure don't." in Sept '16, but then changed tune on the Focus Plus Gold review 10 months later, same fan make & series, quote "Our first look at the innards takes us to a Hong Hua FDB fan. I'm glad there's a ten year warranty backing it, otherwise I am highly mistrusting of these extended life sleeve bearing variants now."

Any PSU that I'm spending over $50 for is going to have or receive a major manufacturer brand dual ball bearing fan. Tiny bit more noise at low RPM? Meh if you need an 850W PSU you're going to have a video card fan that's louder, or water pump, or the generic FBD fan once it's wearing out.

... and yes I'm aware, Seasonic, Antec, probably others are using the generic Hong Hua. I am not a fan. IIRC someone stated Seasonic claims theirs is rated 40K hr. at 40C but that's under 5 years 24/7 and may not even be horizontally mounted (as rated).

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
hum i have an 8 year old seasonic x that runs 8 hours a day. But it does have a good fan :) I did look for a review on the prime before my comment but missed the one on johnny guru site (I checked there first).

Oh that is a platinum unit not a gold unit that was on sale that's why i missed the review.

I do find it odd that you compare the prime to the Focus; shouldn't it be compared to the X series ?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I do find it odd that you compare the prime to the Focus; shouldn't it be compared to the X series ?

I'm not really comparing them, they just were the most recent Seasonic reviews just to show some of the differences in build quality. There is are enough differences between the Prime and Focus Plus series to easily spot it. If I were truly comparing them, I wouldn't have thrown an level $25-30 EVGA in there as EVGA's entry against Seasonic's mid and high tier units.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Ok. I read up on these. The focus is the old G series and the prime is the old X line. I knew the G series was pretty inexpensive. When I made my post I was thinking the prime was an X with a longer warranty but as it replaces the line the comment was silly.

I'm not really comparing them, they just were the most recent Seasonic reviews just to show some of the differences in build quality. There is are enough differences between the Prime and Focus Plus series to easily spot it. If I were truly comparing them, I wouldn't have thrown an level $25-30 EVGA in there as EVGA's entry against Seasonic's mid and high tier units.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
They skimped on the shortest lived component, no interest in trying to run their so-called FBD generic fan for 2 years in a horizontal orientation, let alone 12.

It's not so odd that reviewer OKW didn't call them on the Prime's fan stating "You see any problems with build quality? Because I sure don't." in Sept '16, but then changed tune on the Focus Plus Gold review 10 months later, same fan make & series, quote "Our first look at the innards takes us to a Hong Hua FDB fan. I'm glad there's a ten year warranty backing it, otherwise I am highly mistrusting of these extended life sleeve bearing variants now."

Any PSU that I'm spending over $50 for is going to have or receive a major manufacturer brand dual ball bearing fan. Tiny bit more noise at low RPM? Meh if you need an 850W PSU you're going to have a video card fan that's louder, or water pump, or the generic FBD fan once it's wearing out.

... and yes I'm aware, Seasonic, Antec, probably others are using the generic Hong Hua. I am not a fan. IIRC someone stated Seasonic claims theirs is rated 40K hr. at 40C but that's under 5 years 24/7 and may not even be horizontally mounted.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Odd.

I read other reviews on my Focus Plus Platinum, and quite a few user's discussions on it before buying it. I'm not overly concerned from what I read, and if for some reason it does fail, I'll just send it in for a warranty repair. I always keep 1-2 extra PSUs on hand for testing/replacements (buy them cheap on sale), so I would have no down time. If that happens, then I will steer clear of Hong Hua FDB fans in the future. Looking back, I've never had a PSU fan fail, even the basic sleeve variety.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok. I read up on these. The focus is the old G series and the prime is the old X line. I knew the G series was pretty inexpensive. When I made my post I was thinking the prime was an X with a longer warranty but as it replaces the line the comment was silly.

Yeah, if you look at Seasonic's site, their entire lineup has changed quite dramatically over the last year (more than I have ever seen from them). I think EVGA's G2 and G3 series has given them quite a challenge. I bet Seasonic initially wasn't too concerned when EVGA quit using them for some of their nicer units (GS lineup), and moved to Super Flower for their new high-end production, but I think Super Flower's manufacturing QC caught them off guard.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
then I will steer clear of Hong Hua FDB fans in the future. Looking back, I've never had a PSU fan fail, even the basic sleeve variety.
I have. I had an Antec Basiq 500W, with what must have been an obvious sleeve-bearing fan, go out in a manner of months, just short of a year. Made an awful noise. I just replaced the whole thing, wasn't going to bother RMAing it just for the fan.

<-- not a "fan" of sleeve-bearing fans at all. I generally choose ball-bearing fans for case fans, if I can. PSU fans, you don't really get to pick-and-choose, and the fact that more mfgs are choosing sleeve-bearing, even advanced types, is disconcerting. I'm the type of person that runs their PCs 24/7, and IMO, for those applications, dual ball-bearing is FAR superior for longevity.

estarkey7

Nov 29, 2006
Nothing a good case with filters won't mostly take care of, and what little bit gets in, a can of compressed air will take that :)

But yeah, don't ever let your PC get a blanket of dust in it (like several long-term members of this forum have done).
I was just trying to figure out how in the heck to get dust out of a blower style GPU without voiding the warranty.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was just trying to figure out how in the heck to get dust out of a blower style GPU without voiding the warranty.

You might want to ask that in the GPU forum. I'm sure those shrouds come off someway that wouldn't void the warranty, or maybe someone has a tip on how to clean it out.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I also had an antec fan fail in their hcg 400 watt psu after 2 years. They replaced the psu for free but it was annoying. That's how i ended up with the capstone

I have. I had an Antec Basiq 500W, with what must have been an obvious sleeve-bearing fan, go out in a manner of months, just short of a year. Made an awful noise. I just replaced the whole thing, wasn't going to bother RMAing it just for the fan.

<-- not a "fan" of sleeve-bearing fans at all. I generally choose ball-bearing fans for case fans, if I can. PSU fans, you don't really get to pick-and-choose, and the fact that more mfgs are choosing sleeve-bearing, even advanced types, is disconcerting. I'm the type of person that runs their PCs 24/7, and IMO, for those applications, dual ball-bearing is FAR superior for longevity.