[DEAD]Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ SATA 1TB 7200 32MB Internal Hard Drive: $89.99 AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
At $90 shipped, this is the best price we've seen in a while on these drives (at least 4 months or so). I'm still using a few in my main rig and they've held up very well under heavy use for more than a year.

newegg.png

JonBlack

Apr 11, 2012
At $90 shipped, this is the best price we've seen in a while on these drives (at least 4 months or so). I'm still using a few in my main rig and they've held up very well under heavy use for more than a year.

Probably the lowest price since the floods. I've been using a couple of them for about 18 months and they seem really good.

FlyOrDie

Apr 11, 2012
I've seen a few reviews on newegg saying that reliability might be an issue and the quality is lower after the flooding. I am thinking in getting a couple of this but this holds me back. Any thoughts?

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I've seen a few reviews on newegg saying that reliability might be an issue and the quality is lower after the flooding. I am thinking in getting a couple of this but this holds me back. Any thoughts?

Hard to say really. I've had a very positive experience with this model, but all of my drives are pre-flood.

FlyOrDie

Apr 11, 2012
Hard to say really. I've had a very positive experience with this model, but all of my drives are pre-flood.
thanks for reply, I guess I will wait until I build my rig, also waiting for ivy bridge to come out and I could always buy another HDD and put them in Raid 1.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000

Is the lower quality because of the flood, or because Samsung hard drive division was bought by Seagate around the same time?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Is the lower quality because of the flood, or because Samsung hard drive division was bought by Seagate around the same time?

What? I hate Seagate drives but have had good luck with my (pre-flood) Samsung drive. I won't be buying anymore Samsung drives then... what an awful turn of events.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Pre-flood Spinpoint 1 TBs were great drives, fast cool and quiet. I've used them for years and they were probably the most-recommended drive in General Hardware.

I haven't bought any post-flood platter drives just SSDs, so I have no idea whether or not this post-flood reliability rumor is true. (Seagate purchasing Samsung's drive business is true.)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
What has happened since the purchase - are these still the same drives or rebranded seagates. Also I thought segate uniformly cut warranties to 1 yr or is samsung run as an indepdent division ?

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
What has happened since the purchase - are these still the same drives or rebranded seagates. Also I thought segate uniformly cut warranties to 1 yr or is samsung run as an indepdent division ?

According to Newegg, the warranty on these is still "3 years limited" for parts and labor. I doubt these are rebrands for a variety of reasons. Still though, without some insider knowledge, there's really no way to know if the flooding impacted the manufacture and thus the reliability of these drives. If the price gets any lower I'm likely to grab a few, at which point I can report back here...

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Yeah i've bought 3 or 4 pre-flood versions and they are perfectly fine over a year later. Pretty much right up there as the fastest spindle drive ever. I paid $50-$63 for the ones I bought though.

And I definitely cringed a few months ago when Seagate was buying out Samsung. Seagate has went majorly down hill since going to China for the hd's. I hope Samsung doesn't end up like Seagate is/has been. :(

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I bought one in July 2010 and RMA'd it in June 2011 after it died without warning. I just RMA'd it's replacement which started developing bad sectors. I can't recommend this drive to anyone and have been using older drives (Samsung/WD as old as 2006) as my primary drives since the first died. The only positive is that the warranty process has been trouble-free so far.

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
It's actually $109 shipped as newegg doesn't allow stacking:

Stacking is not permitted. If multiple codes are entered for the same item, only the first promo code will apply.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
It's actually $109 shipped as newegg doesn't allow stacking:

Stacking is not permitted. If multiple codes are entered for the same item, only the first promo code will apply.

Simple mistake, keep going down to see the following:

Code:
Remove	EMCYTZT1435 Discount from Promo Code	-$20.00

Grand Total:	$89.99

Status
Not open for further replies.