DEAD: Sam's Club Membership 45$ with Bonus 20$ gift card and 19.84$ in food vouchers

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by leeland, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leeland

leeland Diamond Member

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/628922

Title basically says it all...and if you get three other peeps to sign up you get yours free.

Seems like a good deal, basically 5 dollars when it is said and done.

I have my 'secret link' which I am not sure I can post (self promotion)...but if anyone actually is planning on getting this deal and would be willing to use my link I would love to try to get it for free...

If so and it is acceptable, PM me.

Thanks for looking!

Lee

#1 leeland, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  2. EliteRetard

EliteRetard Diamond Member

Just curious, does anybody have both a Costco and a Sams Club membership? Or has anybody ever been in both? Just wondering how they compare. Like is Sams more clothing or food oriented or perhaps more furniture or office supplies or anything like that? Or do they both offer a small (bulk) selection of everything?

I have a Costco and a Sams Club both nearby. Don't really know what they carry or how they compare. I have no problems buying in bulk if its actually worthwhile (as in I save enough to make back the membership cost). I normally shop very rarely and stock up on the best sales when I see them at the regular stores.

3. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

Both are not to far apart overall.

I prefer Costco myself. Better support/warranty and also quality.

4. tfinch2

tfinch2 Lifer

I go to Sam's about once a month, and stick to the following items:

Diapers
    Baby wipes
    Dish washing liquid
    Laundry detergent
    Dog food

We usually browse the store when we go, and get a few odds and ends (baby clothes, couple of one-off food items, electronics).

I also exclusively get gas from Sam's as it is on my way to work.

I usually do not pay for membership as I try to catch deals like these. The last time I did the $100 GC "Gift of membership".

We used to have a Costco membership, but it is way to crowded when we are able to go (Weekends).

5. Gustavus

Gustavus Golden Member

To the person who asked if anyone had memberships at both Sam's Club and Costco. We do, because although they overlap in many areas, there are enough items whose quality or nature is distinct to one or the other to justify the multiple memberships. To give a few examples, Costco has the two coffees we use -- Kirtland (their brand) and San Francisco Bay French roast beans which alone would make us keep the Costco membership. They also have a number of household items -- toilet tissue, detergent, etc -- rated best buys by Consumer Reports. On the other hand, they are quite a bit more costly for tires, auto batteries etc than Sams Club. The bakery alone would be enough to make us keep the Sams Club membership -- their croissants are better than any other bakery in the city -- and their meat counter is the best we have found. On the other hand, Costco does very well in the fish department.

The bottom line is that every year we debate about whether to keep both memberships, but when we consider the items unique to each one that we use and depend on we always renew both memberships.

Oh, and we use the Sams Club pharmacy for all prescriptions.

6. Xponential

Xponential Senior member

Thanks for the well-written, detailed response. I've been wondering for a while how the two compared. I know my old roommate raved about Sam's meat department, their steaks were quite good.

7. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Sam's is slightly cheaper for the same products and their products are geared more for small businesses and restaurants. I prefer Costco for their Kirkland brand and slightly higher quality items but you do pay a premium in both membership price and item cost.

8. PottedMeat

PottedMeat Lifer

I've had both overlap for the last ~2 months.

Sams has cheaper pork and beef but Costco has far better seafood ( they have fresh bass which Sams never had )

They carry the same baking essentials (flour/sugar/yeast,etc.) but Costco seems to only carry double the amount - the price is the same per pound though.

Costco's food court has many more choices than Sams.

9. notposting

notposting Diamond Member

Wife has worked for Costco for over ten years. I feel like a traitor lol...how to explain this in the morning...hmmm...

10. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

We had both for a while, but eventually dropped the Sam's club. I am sure it varies from store to store, but in my area, Costco is a much better shoping experience than Sam's overall. Cleaner, better organized store, more high quality merchandise. I would say for sure, Costco has nicer clothes and electronics, at least in my area. Food is good in both. My wife is a big fan of costco, but you have to shop carefully. Some things are a good deal, but others can be found cheaper in Walmart or Target.

Edit: Or you end up with a huge amount of some particular item that seems too good to pass up but that you can never possibly use.

#10 frozentundra123456, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  11. stargazr

stargazr Platinum Member

This is a good point for perishable items. The bakery is pretty good, but we usually can't use the larger amounts up before it goes stale.

I have a free Sam's membership (gf works there); I get meat & cheese etc from deli, spices, coffee, canned goods, chips, dog food and rawhide chewies.

Sometimes they have good deals on clothes. Gas is generally around at least $0.05/gal cheaper than area stations.

I'd like to have a Costco membership too, but can't really afford it right now.

12. mikeford

mikeford Diamond Member

Both stores I think are "ok" for people to come in and look around. I always ask, but have never been denied. For some big ticket items if they have what you want its worth the annual fee.

Sams used to have one day pass coupons floating around all the time, which was sufficient for what I was buying.

Walmart GC also used to be good at Sams, but I don't know if they now require membership.

Good to check with whatever company you work for as many have discount memberships .

13. SunRey

SunRey Platinum Member

Thank You!

14. hans007

hans007 Lifer

if you want to buy stuff at costco without a membership you can always just buy gift cards on their website.

they have to let you spend them so you dont need a costco membership. have to prepare ahead of time i guess.

15. Xtrem

Xtrem Senior member

My parents have both, Sams club does have great croissants but it doesn't seem to have a lot of people going there. Costco can get very crowded and checkout lines seem to be long

16. CrystalBay

CrystalBay Platinum Member

Costco has mostly better food products "Kirkland" , way longer lines, parking jams and jacked up their membership fee. So I go to Sam's now.

17. mikeford

mikeford Diamond Member

Looks like only members can buy them.

From Costco website.
    You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and online at Costco.com or on Costco.ca. Costco Cash balances may be used toward membership or merchandise.

18. kmmatney

kmmatney Diamond Member

I get a free Sam's club membership through work, but usually find it a waste of time everytime a go there. My work used to have CostCo memberships, and that was much better. If I had to pay for one, it would be CostCo - they just have better merchandise. I've found that the stuff we've bought from Sam's can be bought from our local SuperWalmart at a lower cost, and less hassle. Sam's Club isn't very crowded for a reason - it doesn't offer much for your membership. I'd be surprised if they are still in business in another 5 years.

19. Rassi

Rassi Member

Can this be used to extend a membership if you already have one?

20. VIP

VIP Junior Member

I'm in Ohio and I don't have a Costco nearby. I go to Sam's a couple times a month for my business and personal supplies. I go to a website and shop online at Sam's and get 7% cashback on everything I buy. It saves me hundreds every year. I don't buy the premium membership anymore that only pays you 1%. Heck, if I'm going to be buying diapers, dog food, toilet paper etc. it's kinda nice getting at least 7% cashback on things I'm buying anyways. If you want the website let me know, I'm not sure I can post it here.

#20 VIP, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.