DEAD: ONE MORE REBATE-Last Day! - get dell dimenstion 8250 P4 2.4G for MAYBE $60!!

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
sweet, an update on my situation

once again I sent all 5 rebate in on 1/9 (the last eligible day to send them in)

036445 Dimension/Inspiron $100 Rebate Dell Computer Corporation
036668 Dimension $100/$200 Rebate Dell Computer Corporation
036666 Dimension $140 Mail-in Rebate Dell Computer Corporation
036671 Dimension $60/$170 Rebate

all of those were mailed out today!....

"Date Mailed: 02/28/2003
Check Currency: US Dollars
Status: Your rebate or premium item was mailed on the date above. Please allow approximately 10 business days for delivery. "

the last one still has the denied message everyone else is getting.

btw, I only emailed rebatestatus.com once, and that was when just 2 of my rebates were showing up...just a couple days later all 5 were showing up.
I've never received a postcard from dell about why that one was denied, and I never got an email saying to send in proof.

TurtleMan

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Got all my rebates today.. but darn it .. i don't think they are giving me the
Dimension/Inspiron/Optiplex/Latitude Rebate.... $100..
sigh .. anyone got that one

all168

May 16, 2001
I did request to return the system by replying dell's email, did anyone did that and already got their response? I haven't receive anything since beginning of the month.

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Good news (for me): My 36666 rebates all just mailed, and I got the 80Gb drive machines...

Funny that Dell is taking the high road on the 36666 rebates (honoring the most generous interpretation of an ambiguously worded rebates), but is taking the low road on 36179, imposing in that case a very narrow (in fact, probably legally indefensible) interpretation.

Kwad

Madib

Apr 19, 2001
Anyone who was denied the Early Bird rebate, 36179, should at least spend the time to call Dell and make sure you aren't eligible. Even if you sent in your proof of affliation from a "participating instution", Dell isn't figuring that out on their own! My wife is a CSEA member, which was eligible for the 36179 rebate, but Dell still denied us that rebate. I called 1-800-981-3355 Option 3 then Option 5 and they looked up her organization and discoved their error. Worth the 15 mins of hold time to get that last $100.

aerialcombat

Feb 2, 2001
I guess I lucked out. I bought two systems, and after patiently waiting I got all 10 rebates. Well, at least they are all mailed. Told ya they'd come through with the rebates. This makes it the hottest deal of the year 2002.

Well I guess I do still have to wait until they all physically get here. (crossing my fingers)

Monotaur

Nov 5, 2001
Got $610 back... still waiting on the last $100 (trying to resubmit yet AGAIN....).

Best deal...ever.

Napmobile

Jan 28, 2003
Anyone who didn't send in their id # and fss info (because they never contacted you) still got their rebate? Curious because, I never got a phone call or an email asking for info and the rebatestatus still says that my rebate is still in process.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I called them finally today, got shot down on the two everyone seems to be having trouble with.
I'm okay with it, still a great deal on a nice system from Dell.
Next time I'll make sure to get names and badge ID's when doing this.
;)

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Can anyone tell me some of the companies (not schools) that are supposedly valid for 36179?

When I first purchased my computer (actually before), I told Dell the EPP number for my company and they told me we were "verified" for that rebate. Now I've been denied. I am wondering if I got denied haphazardly or not. Is there actually a list of valid companies at all, or just a list of valid schools??? (This is for 36179 specifically, not for the rebates in general)?

Kwad

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Kwad Guy
Can anyone tell me some of the companies (not schools) that are supposedly valid for 36179?

When I first purchased my computer (actually before), I told Dell the EPP number for my company and they told me we were "verified" for that rebate. Now I've been denied. I am wondering if I got denied haphazardly or not. Is there actually a list of valid companies at all, or just a list of valid schools??? (This is for 36179 specifically, not for the rebates in general)?

Kwad

Not sure Kwad, I was told the same thing though. I definetley learned from this one to get THE NAME and BADGE id of who you talk to. Yesterday I asked the guy how could the info change, he really didn't have an answer, I let it drop because I didn't have a name to go back on.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
im happy , my emailing the journalist actually accomplished something. i feel really ,, i dunno lik ei did something.

Bob61

May 1, 2000
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
I'm sure several people recorded their conversations, but it shouldn't really be necessary.

Unless Dell decides to encourage their employees to commit perjury there wouldn't be any question that Dell was telling customers they were eligible for all 5 rebates, both at the time of the sale, and for weeks and weeks after.

That's what I told a CSR today after she tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for one of the rebates. I have the name and badge number of someone at Dell who told me, the day after I bought my 8250, in no uncertain terms, that I would get all 5 rebates totalling $710.

FYI - BADGE NUMBER = EXTENSION NUMBER. If you have the number dial into Dell and when prompted to enter the 5 digit extension number enter that badge number - direct call to the party you spoke with.

Madib

Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
Not sure Kwad, I was told the same thing though. I definetley learned from this one to get THE NAME and BADGE id of who you talk to. Yesterday I asked the guy how could the info change, he really didn't have an answer, I let it drop because I didn't have a name to go back on.
It doesn't matter who told you what and whether you had their name and badge number or their Social Security number, mother's maiden name or their shoe size -- Dell says TOO BAD, they were wrong, we're not paying you.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Madib
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
It doesn't matter who told you what and whether you had their name and badge number or their Social Security number, mother's maiden name or their shoe size -- Dell says TOO BAD, they were wrong, we're not paying you.

Yes it does matter, it's called accountability, there's already been at least one person on this thread that HAS GOTTEN a credit for BOTH REBATES back to their CC.
If you have the name and badge ID of someone that TOLD you that you were eligible for the rebates you go higher and higher among supervisors until you get to Michael Dell himself. If he still says no then you need to seek legal recourse, when a company SAYS they will DO SOMETHING that does mean responsibility on their part, I don't know if you have ever worked in a CSR related field but it DOES MATTER.

You obviously haven't even read the articles which go over the fact of Dell being liable due to this VERY REASON.
If I had a name, and badge ID I would have pushed the matter exactly how I just layed it out, it's not worth my time when I don't have anything solid about the person that I spoke with the day after.

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
I too have not received a single rebate check even though I sent out all my rebates in mid december. I would have sent them out earlier if I didn't opt for their ridiculous $90 shipping which was incredibly slow and painful. Not only that, but the incompetent people handling the rebates even wrote the address wrong on one of my rebates, which happens to be the most expensive one as well (36668 $200). After waiting and waiting, I finally called the 1-877 rebatestatus # and they redirected me to another Dell # and they told me they can't give me any information on the "f@twallet" rebates as they don't have them and that I should expect to get a letter or email. Of course, I did not receive any of those. So, I most likely won't be getting the early bird rebate and my $200 rebate will have to be reprocessed over again, which will be another 8-12 weeks according to Dell. I have not tried to call the state number yet because they are closed for the weekend (1-800 981-3355) but I will as soon as possible. Great...just great. Obviously, I will not be purchasing from Dell ever again and will try to do everything that is humanly possible to help fight against Dell for shafting so many poor college students and anyone else who is eligible.

PS I'm from UCLA...anyone else in the same or similar situation and have any advice?

aerialcombat

Feb 2, 2001
I was in a similar situation. only 4 rebates were showing up out of 10 that i was supposed to get for the 2 computers i bought. I first called up dell, and they said i should contact rebate staus. So, i suggest you contact rebate stautus since they handle all the rebates. if you don't know their number, call Dell rebates and they'll help you out with that. The hold is like 10-15 minutes just leave on speaker phone and just wait. They were very couteous and were willing to help out. I sent in a fax of rebates like 2 weeks ago, and i've been getting my rebates since. good luck to you.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Update for me...I got 3 checks in out of the 4 that said they were shipped. Hopefully the 4th one will come tomorrow.

Madib

Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Oakenfold You obviously haven't even read the articles which go over the fact of Dell being liable due to this VERY REASON.
If I had a name, and badge ID I would have pushed the matter exactly how I just layed it out, it's not worth my time when I don't have anything solid about the person that I spoke with the day after.

And you obviously haven't talked to one of the few people at Dell who are handling these disputed rebates! I have and the bottom line is that they don't care what anyone told you, they admit that their people gave out false info, they admit that they should have foreseen this sort of problem and put the appropriate disclaimers on the pages and rebate forms and they admit that they drug this out far too long before putting out notices. BUT, they still insist that they don't owe all $710 of the rebates!! You can have all the proof you want but that still doesn't convince them to pay you the money because they are choosing to take a hard line on this. They are choosing to call the sky red dispite the fact that they know full well that it's blue.

Does any of this mean they aren't liable? No, not necessarily, but that's for an arbiter or a court of law to decide. And I suspect quite a few people will find out how that process works in the coming months.