DEAD:OCZ ZX-1250W Power Supply $170.00 after $10 MIR @ Amazon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SininStyle

Jul 2, 2010
SininStyle: you can get the 850w version for $100 on egg right now. that pretty much puts the 1250w version in line for $180.

Lordhumungus: The 850W OCZ would cost me $123 after MIR on Newegg right now. That being said I'm not sure why you would choose a PSU in the same product line you appear to disapprove of to justify the price of the unit in question in the thread.

Lordhumungus: I only jumped on this because I felt it was too good a deal to pass up. I did plenty of research before I jumped in and what I came up with says that the only thing that matches the features and price point is (drum roll please) the OCZ 850 Watt previously mentioned. As a matter of fact it works out almost perfectly and has about 68% of the power output for 68% of the price.

SininStyle: You must use something else as a reference to get an idea of value.

I dont know how else to put it. The 1250w OCZ is in line price wise to everything you compare it to. either by its own line or by higher quality products. It falls in line where it should. Which means this isnt a deal. This is the true value of the product.

KIAman: Where can you find a silver 1200w+ PSU with higher quality and warranty within the same price range? I've been living under a rock if what you say is true.

SininStyle: you can find silvers in the same price range with higher quality and longer warranties to back it.

I did not say you can find 1250s with higher quality and warranty.

Lordhumungus: I think you might be overstating this a little bit. The highest output 80 Plus Platinum PSU I am aware of was only recently shown at CeBIT and it is limited to 850 Watts, which is quite a bit less than the OCZ. The rest that I am aware of can be counted on one hand and are all around 550-600W.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Seasonic-Readies-80-PLUS-Platinum-Certified-PSU-Models-187645.shtml

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/ps...O., LTD._SS-1000XP_ECOS 2401_1000W_Report.pdf

And something current.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seasonic-psu-gold-platinum-fanless,12868.html

SininStyle

Jul 2, 2010
Ok past deals for 850w units? lets begin.

Corsair AX850 was $150 on egg last month about 2 wks ago
Corsair HX850 this is rated silver but speced gold. Corsair thought it was to close to call gold so called it silver to be sure everyone got what they paid for. This was just on sale for $120 on newegg 3 wks ago.
Seasonic Z-750 was $120 on newegg about 3 wks ago. I know not a 850w but a deal that makes you reconsider needing 850w lol

It seems corsair is rolling a steady sale through its line. every week a new one pops up. this week the 650TX vs2 is on sale, Last week it was the 750tx vs2. I suspect the incoming Seasonic platniums will also become corsair platniums so both companies are putting up sales to clear stock to make room.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
First thing, thanks for the reply, I read through as much of it as I could and have a few counter points I'd like to offer.

All of the Platinum units you have linked are interesting products that I look forward to hearing more about, but none of them are currently on the market. It looks like the earliest they will be available is September, and I imagine there will probably be a large price premium to get them. Personally, I don't believe we can use an untested product that will hopefully see the light of day 4-6 months from now at an unknown price as much of a basis for comparison.

Corsair AX850 was $150 on egg last month about 2 wks ago
Corsair HX850 this is rated silver but speced gold. Corsair thought it was to close to call gold so called it silver to be sure everyone got what they paid for. This was just on sale for $120 on newegg 3 wks ago.
Seasonic Z-750 was $120 on newegg about 3 wks ago. I know not a 850w but a deal that makes you reconsider needing 850w lol .
I didn't look at a ton of comparison reviews for these units, but hopefully for the purposes of this thread, we can agree that jonnyguru is a legit source of information. That said I'd like to address each unit individually

Corsair AX850 - Looking at the review by the guru known as jonny, we see that this unit missed it's Gold rating on both the 50% load and 100% load tests by .6% and 1.4% respectively. I find these result interesting as this is a higher miss rate than the OCZ. Also interesting is the fact that JonnyGuru notes that this % is barely worth mentioning.

Corsair HX850 - Again using JonnyGuru's review, we see that this unit came in at a full 1% under its Silver rating at 100% load. This is especially interesting in regards to the information you present that says Corsair called this a Silver unit instead of a Gold unit because it was too close to call. It seems to me that they didn't call it a Silver out of the goodness of their hearts, but in fact because at 100% load it can barely make the Silver rating.

Seasonic X-750 - First off, I assumed the Z-750 was a minor typo, but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about that. This seems like a very high quality unit and I have pretty much nothing negative to say about it. The price you are quoting is about $50+ cheaper than the PSU is currently retailing for on Newegg and thanks to CA sales tax is (for me at least) more than the OCZ 1250W. Other than that I think $120 for this PSU is a heck of a deal, but not more so than either of the OCZ units in the same price range with the same warranty period, modularity, and efficiency.

I dont know how else to put it. The 1250w OCZ is in line price wise to everything you compare it to. either by its own line or by higher quality products. It falls in line where it should. Which means this isnt a deal. This is the true value of the product.

I think I understand what you are saying here, but I definitely don't agree. Rarely do hardware prices scale one-to-one between price and performance. When you buy a mid-grade processor for $200, rarely can you buy a top of the line part for $400. Usually as the performance increases, the price starts to increase at a much higher rate for much smaller gains. While I don't personally agree that this is how it should be, it is definitely the norm. In the case of the OCZ, I think it is more a testament to the value of the entire line that you can get a PSU with ~47% higher output for ~47% (ZX-850 vs ZX-1250) higher price rather than a ~41-47% higher output for ~129+% price increase (ZX-850 vs Corsair AX1200), although admittedly slightly less for other brands/configurations.

Note: Between the time of writing and posting this, the price of the OCZ 850 has gone up considerably. That being said, it is still the least expensive of any of the competing PSU's being discussed here and I consider it fair that we are both using numbers from when an item was on sale. Thusly, I didn't bother to recalculate my figures, which are based on a ~$125 price point.

Ultimately, the fact that this is practically the only PSU line that scales one-to-one performance and price is precisely what makes this such a great deal. I still frankly fail to see the "higher quality products" that come anywhere close to meeting this price point. In fact, from my perspective two out of the three products you've listed appear to be slightly inferior products that can only match the value of the OCZ when using a sliding scale.

Perhaps you can clarify why you believe these to be higher quality products? I'd prefer something quantitative instead of something abstract, but at this point I'm honestly interested in any line of reasoning. For the sake of argument, it might even be easier if you compare them to the OCZ 850W.

Finally, at the end of the day whether or not I or anyone else actually need this much power (most don't, including me) is immaterial to the conversation on whether or not this is a relative good value/hot deal.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have NEVER seen such a quality and capable PSU go for such a low price, regardless of sale, coupon or anything else shy of theft. If you have, please point it out, even if the deal is expired so I can fill in any holes in my knowledge of the going rate for hardware. I consider myself a connoisseur of the price-to-performance ratio paradigm and it would be a great failing on my part to not be aware of such a great deal.
I picked up an ABS-branded 1050W 80Plus Silver PSU, modular, for $130 from Newegg. Apparently, they were clearing them out (unadvertised).

List price on the ABS.com website is $350.

It is a rebadged Enermax Revolution+ PSU, which normally goes for like $280 or so.

Only the Enermax has six 12V rails, and the ABS is a single-rail unit. But they look identical. JG gave the Enermax high marks.

Edit: Yes, that's the one. When I bought it, Newegg said that the original price was $270, and they were selling it for like $130. Maybe $135.

Last edited:

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I picked up an ABS-branded 1050W 80Plus Silver PSU, modular, for $130 from Newegg. Apparently, they were clearing them out (unadvertised).

List price on the ABS.com website is $350.

It is a rebadged Enermax Revolution+ PSU, which normally goes for like $280 or so.

Only the Enermax has six 12V rails, and the ABS is a single-rail unit. But they look identical. JG gave the Enermax high marks.

That seems like a pretty solid deal, any chance on a link or model number to read up on the actual unit?

I think ABS might be smoking something at $350 though :)

Edit: I think I found it. ABS SL1050? Original thought stands, seems like a pretty good PSU and a really good price you got there. Only thing I don't like is the 3 year warranty, but it seems like that's a fairly low-risk high-reward scenario.

Last edited:

SininStyle

Jul 2, 2010
Ok ive pretty much lost interest in this comparison because i feel like none of what i say is actually be listened to even though you copy and paste it then jabber after.

I said the new platinums would further drop prices. spoke nothing of when they would be released. and it seems i was right with the AX1200 now on sale at $240 after promo and MIR . I would expect more sales are coming.

anyway, buy what ya like and like what ya buy. enjoy your OCZ

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Ok ive pretty much lost interest in this comparison because i feel like none of what i say is actually be listened to even though you copy and paste it then jabber after.

I said the new platinums would further drop prices. spoke nothing of when they would be released. and it seems i was right with the AX1200 now on sale at $240 after promo and MIR . I would expect more sales are coming.

anyway, buy what ya like and like what ya buy. enjoy your OCZ

I think we both agree that PSUs often go on sale and the hardware world is in a constant state of price dropping and re-aligning, so I guess I'm not clear on how you were right about the AX1200. It's still $60+ more than the OCZ and for what appreciable gain? In all of your replies you have yet to comment on the actual performance numbers and real world performance on anything you have mentioned.

I am trying to keep this as friendly as possible, but I am using facts (jabbering?) to back up an argument and your replies seem to be getting closer and closer to "Corsair is teh lol betters". In an arena of discussion where people often rely on word of mouth information from other users this is frustrating and annoying at best and shows lack of comprehension of the conversational topic at worst. In either case, it's a disservice to what we are talking about to present 0 facts in your counter argument and then get pissed at me for rebutting what you've just said. If you feel like something I've said is incorrect or you've been misquoted by me personally, please feel free to correct me in the course of your reply, but please don't misrepresent yourself as a poor misunderstood soul.