Dead Island: Riptide

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Coming out soon, anyone else excited? I haven't found more satisfaction in a game than beating the hell out of zombies in Dead Island, can't wait to play the new one.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
The first one made me sick... literally. I couldn't play for more than 10 mins before I got dizzy. Something was up with FOV being too narrow or too wide I think. It was a decent game as far as realism goes, but I couldn't log more than a few hours because I felt like shit just from playing.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I actually loved the first one, although that original trailer probably built up the game too much for some people.
Enjoyed the length of it and the weapons and even the story wasn't horrible.
Haven't read anything about Riptide yet, might have to pick it up. Why do they have to release so many good sounding games right at the end of the generation?!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I actually loved the first one, although that original trailer probably built up the game too much for some people.
Enjoyed the length of it and the weapons and even the story wasn't horrible.
Haven't read anything about Riptide yet, might have to pick it up. Why do they have to release so many good sounding games right at the end of the generation?!

It really did have a great trailer. I played it for about 5 hrs but got bored of it. No matter what happened, it didn't feel different enough for me to stick with it. I'm not scared to try out Riptide though as Dead Island showed promise and I hope they do enough to make it more unique.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
DI had a strong enough base game that I think they could come up with something notably better here, but I'll be waiting for a price drop regardless. Similar to Assassin's Creed, I think now that they have the basis of the engine and such they can improve the game as a whole. We'll see.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I loved the beginning of the first one, I really felt trapped. As it kept going on and zombies respawned it felt less and less interesting. By the end I was going through the motions just to finish it.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Have had it pre-ordered for awhile, loved the first one in 4-player coop. Can't wait for more.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Oh ya, I forgot about the co-op part! It was fun playing down by the beach area and in the town with four players. Wish I wouldn't have been distracted by other games around that time, would've liked to put a lot more time into co-op.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I'm an action junkie, and most RPG's get boring reeeeal fast for me. That's why I loved Dead Island, it was just about me, my bat, and the head of the next zombie I was going to whack. I loved the feel of the gameplay, and that's what matters most in a game to me. I don't care about "features" or stories or other fluff, just how the game feels.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
How can a game that by definition is improved on be more mediocre than the original? Reviews like that don't make any sense which is why I don't bother reading reviews any more. It comes down to whether you liked the first game or not. If you did, you'll like this one. If you didn't, well... why would you think you'd like this? It's still the same game, just new story.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
How can a game that by definition is improved on be more mediocre than the original? Reviews like that don't make any sense which is why I don't bother reading reviews any more. It comes down to whether you liked the first game or not. If you did, you'll like this one. If you didn't, well... why would you think you'd like this? It's still the same game, just new story.

Because you'd think that they'd actually try and improve what wasn't good in the second go around. Instead from the reviews it's exactly the same thing as the first.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
The only problem I had with the first game was it was often not very challenging, and this one did improve on that. Dead Island has more to it than Skyrim but elder scrolls always gets high praise, doesn't make sense. Oh well, I am enjoying it thoroughly.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Is the FOV issue fixed? I know I am not the only one who got motion sickness after playing.