Dead Island or Rage (PC)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Rhezuss, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Ok, you want to buy 1 game and both interests you...which one would you buy like right now today?

And, are all known "major" bugs in Dead Island been taking care of? Like if I buy it off Steam, do I get the retail version and not the Dev version?

About Rage, apart from the Preview/Beta patches out from both AMD and nVidia, is there still texture pop ups and what not?

So based on the quality of those games now on october the 13th, which game would you buy?

2. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

I'd go with Dead Island, you'll get at least twice as much time out of it then you would Rage. The Dead Island dev build was taken care of it a day after it happened.

A lot of it comes down to, do you want a fps? Go with Rage, do you want a open world zombie game? Go with DI. DI 90% of your combat is melee.

3. Carmen813

Carmen813 Diamond Member

I would buy Dead Island from greenmangaming.com. They are running a 20% off sale, and Dead Island activates on steam anyway. It's a fun game.

4. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Well I lean more toward Dead Island and just saw my local BestBuy has the game for 39CAD on special, ends today hheheh. Might as well get it!

5. FuryofFive

FuryofFive Golden Member

dead island will net you probaly 15+ hours. Alot of running around. Rage im not sure, i dont have it.

Id go with Dead island at the moment. Rage will probaly be on sale soon at the rate its going

6. Krakn3Dfx

Krakn3Dfx Platinum Member

I've played through Rage, amazing game, the enemy animations and the way they interact with the environment is unlike anything I've seen in a game before. Having said that, it's not really a game you'll want to play through more than once, and the multiplayer component in it pretty thin. The game is very linear, despite the promise of an "open world", likely due in large part to sacrifices that were made to fit the SP campaign onto 2 discs on the 360. It's still an awesome game, voice acting is above average in almost all cases, and if you like id shooters, there's no question that that's what it is through and through. I've heard some call Dead City the new Ravenholm, and I think that's probably pretty dead on.

I've played through Dead Island 2 times and I'm working my way through a 3rd time. There's A LOT to do in this game, yeah, you can shoot through and only do the main quest, but the fun in the game is jumping online with 2-3 other people and just working through everything the game has to offer. It's janky, not nearly as polished as some other titles, but the RPG elements, leveling, weapon combinations, etc, make it a complete blast to play. The island is also pretty huge, and you could easily put 60-70 hours into it and not see and do everything there is to do.

If you can only have one, I would say Dead Island, but both games are in the cream of the crop of PC titles this years for sure.

7. Corporate Thug

honestly, I'm not so sure how much I would enjoy DI melee combat style. I'm gonna wait it its ~$20 or so.

8. M0oG0oGaiPan

M0oG0oGaiPan Diamond Member

Haven't played rage but dead island is fun if you're into co-op. Single player is OK. Also halloween is just around the corner. I can see there being some kind of deal on the game.

9. RedBeard

RedBeard Diamond Member

Amazon still has this game for 39.99. When you purchase it you will instantly get the key to activate on Steam.

10. spaceman

spaceman Lifer

DI for sure

11. RandomSanity

RandomSanity Member

My vote is also for DI. I got about 17 hours of game time after beating it once alone and doing a few extras in co-op. All the (major) initial bugs were worked out very quickly and though there aren't many graphics settings available in game they are available in the settings files and the game does look beautiful once these are tweaked.

Rage I played for a couple hours at a friends place and didn't care for it all. Very linear with less than stellar graphics.

12. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

I have only watched Playthroughs of both games, but if I were to choose, I would also get Dead Island. Like said by others, it comes down to the Open World aspect.

13. Davidpaul007

Davidpaul007 Member

I haven't played Dead Island, but I have Rage and love it. It's just a dang fun shooter to me. I've played about 8 or 10 hours worth, so I have no idea what the ending is like but I have been very happy with it so far.

14. JSt0rm

JSt0rm Lifer

15. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

Wait for bf3, skyrim, ass creed rev, batman: ac, and mass effect 3.

How many thousands of wasted hours in my life will be a direct result from the holiday game release calender....

16. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

I'm probably a luck few but i'll just buy Skyrim...so i'll still have some time to live the RL...well maybe not :p

17. Carfax83

Carfax83 Diamond Member

The more I play Rage, the more impressed I become. The game just has an amazing visual scope.

A lot of people (including myself) jumped the gun and condemned ID for delivering a game with blurry textures without fully appreciating what they were trying to accomplish; and that is a game with unique and diverse environments.

As I've gotten more and more into the game, I'm seeing first hand how much diversity there is in the terrain and the environments, and this lends a great deal of authenticity to the setting.

18. wuliheron

wuliheron Diamond Member

Its like comparing apples and oranges. If like shooters Rage is the game to buy. If you prefer maylay attacks, then DI. If you like them both but can only afford one, then DI has the most bang for your buck.

19. Anomaly1964

Anomaly1964 Platinum Member

I agree...

...I MUCH prefer Rage to Dead Island.

20. Tristicus

Tristicus Diamond Member

Steam says I've got about 12.2 hours into Rage, and I just got to the second town (second official town, not just settlement) and did a few missions. I'd say if you actually look for stuff and do side quests, it'll last a while. Dead Island looks good, but if you are looking for longevity, I don't think it is there.

21. Skott

Skott Diamond Member

It sounds like there is no wrong or right to it. Comes down to play style and preference I guess.

22. Jules

Jules Lifer

Dead Island.

23. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Finally bought Rage.
    I needed a cool FPS to drop time in...been a long time.

Gonna grab Dead Island next time it's on sale off Steam though...probably around Christmas during the Steam sales.