*DEAD* Intel NAS Server w/ Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz, DDR2 & eSATA - $135

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
I probably suffered more than most getting WHS to load. The last two thing i did to finally make it work was -

1. I used the driver package posted over at WGS and loaded ALL the drivers in the package into the slipstream.

2. I put it all together on a Vista 64bit machine. I read over at WGS that it only seemed to work on a Vista machine. Apparently this is true.

Also, you might want to let the client install find the server rather than looking for it in your router. Router clients lists are notoriously false. It's not at all unusual to have a computer fully connected and pulling an ip and yet not show up in the routers list of clients.

Looking at the pic I posted, do you agree that it looks like WHS installed to some degree, but perhaps I did the drivers incorrectly?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
First build of "next-gen" WHS leaks... (not link to, but rather to an article with screenshots)

As expected, Vail is based off of Windows Server 2008 R2, meaning it will only come in a 64-bit flavor. WHS version 1 is based off of Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2.

That said, the leak indicates that there will be Home Standard and Home Premium editions (Microsoft started considering splitting WHS in two back in September 2008. Furthermore, you'll need a 2GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, as well as a 120GB/160GB primary hard drive (NTFS is the only supported file system). HomeGroup support is a go and the WHS Console is now simply "Dashboard." The most interesting part is that there is a cleaner add-in model (all pages are now add-ins) that references an online catalog for add-ins hosted by Microsoft (yet to launch, naturally). WHS also apparently now backs itself up.

Last edited:

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
without thumbing through 500+ posts of this thread, can anyone tell me if this is a good NAS w/ RAID 5 (using the regular built-in software, don't plan on WHS)?

JJ44

Jan 25, 2010
Even given my limited electronics background (Dad was an EE, I grew up in his business)... there are certain pieces of technology I won't touch a soldering iron to. One of them being in conjunction with 20GB of my wifes digital photos.

Agreed. The problem is the PSUs have specific protection circuits, and sometimes home repair can end up with a situation similar to a penny in a fuse: you can get them back up and running, all the rails can show proper voltage, but you may have defeated a protection circuit leading to risk of even more serious damage to more important elements of the system in future.

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
without thumbing through 500+ posts of this thread, can anyone tell me if this is a good NAS w/ RAID 5 (using the regular built-in software, don't plan on WHS)?
Try thumbing through the OP: the Tom's Hardware link is useful; if that's too much, skip to its conclusion; and if that's too much... take a good book into the hot tub and relax awhile. [I agree that this thread has, like many others, become tedious to read in its entirety.... :D It would be nice to have something like hierarchical sub-threads.]

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Are the drives in a WHS readable when put into another computer? What happens if the boot drive fails? Do you loose all your data on the other drives too?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Are the drives in a WHS readable when put into another computer? What happens if the boot drive fails? Do you loose all your data on the other drives too?
The WHS drives are all standard NTFS partitions, and are readable in any system capable of reading NTFS partitions. If your OS partition dies, you should* be able to recover your data simply by popping in the drive into a working Windows system and mounting it.

*Important Note!!! - If the OS drive happens do die, you may experience data loss. The OS drive is shared (if large enough) with the first data partition used by Drive Extender. Data on that drive may be compromised in the event of a crash. This is why it is important to set up mirror locations on DIFFERENT drives for data you deem important enough to not want lost. DE Mirrors are essentially a more selective, software controlled form of what could be considered RAID1 - but for ONLY the data that you select, not the entire drive.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Just brought the second one on line. The connector SW isn't designed for having more than one WHS's on the network. It's a royal PITA to switch from one server to the other. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version. I am able to access all shared folders from all PC's so all is cool.

I just transferred 2.05TB from one to the other. Even tho it took all night to complete, it went off without a hitch. The purpose of the second one is to back up the first. Sure wish this could be automated but folder duplication is pretty retarded at this point and I can find no way to get it to work across the network to another drive.

WHS still needs a lot of work. :(

mscdex0

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2003
Just as a heads up for anyone still looking for the server, Buy.com has it here (from a third party, not Buy.com themself) for $135 with free shipping.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Just as a heads up for anyone still looking for the server, Buy.com has it here (from a third party, not Buy.com themself) for $135 with free shipping.

The third party is Legendmicro..same people from ebay and the website that a lot of people purchased from.

Guess LM bought a crapload of these to sell.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Legendmicro is not doing so well in my books. I purchased one and it was dead, I got a RMA # and they have had it for 2 weeks. They ignore my emails, the last email I received was 1 1/2 weeks ago saying they received it but that was it. Nothing else has been sent to me and they still have my unit.

zervun

Aug 8, 2001
Incidently for those that are still struggling with the install, I found a super easy solution if you have an old graphics card around.

Off of ebay I bought a 1x pci-e extender for a couple dollars. I then cut the back of it so that it would fit a normal graphics card (I used a dremel to make the slit).

I had a old 7800 GT graphics card, pluged it in and voila graphical install. I just left it hanging out of the case, and unplugged it when I was done with it. The graphics card had a plug for pcie power, but it worked without it.

The only other thing I needed I believe was the drivers off of Intels site.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Legendmicro is not doing so well in my books. I purchased one and it was dead, I got a RMA # and they have had it for 2 weeks. They ignore my emails, the last email I received was 1 1/2 weeks ago saying they received it but that was it. Nothing else has been sent to me and they still have my unit.

Call them. 1-440-776-8838

They have been polite and courteous to me every time I called. Well, except the last time, the person that answered the phone sounded like she really enjoyed doing her job. :\

That being said, my RMA took about 2 weeks as well, but that happened over the holiday break too.

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
Incidently for those that are still struggling with the install, I found a super easy solution if you have an old graphics card around.

Off of ebay I bought a 1x pci-e extender for a couple dollars. I then cut the back of it so that it would fit a normal graphics card (I used a dremel to make the slit).

I had a old 7800 GT graphics card, pluged it in and voila graphical install. I just left it hanging out of the case, and unplugged it when I was done with it. The graphics card had a plug for pcie power, but it worked without it.

The only other thing I needed I believe was the drivers off of Intels site.

I took a similar approach except I found a low profile ATI card I had lying around (was a 16x) and took a pair of cutters to the card and cut a notch out of the connector so it would fit in the 1x slot.

Marm

Jan 4, 2001
I also was having some issue with getting the USB boot image to completely install and bought the cable off of Ebay. It completely installed and was waiting for the install password.

The only issue that I have now is I do not know how a person could do a restore without having a floppy drive for the raid drivers.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Finally got drives for this after buying when it first went on sale. Retarded question...are there drive rails I'm missing? None of the drive mounting holes line up and there's a decent gap between the drive and the chassis. If I'm missing something, do I have a chance of ordering elsewhere or am I hosed?

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Finally got drives for this after buying when it first went on sale. Retarded question...are there drive rails I'm missing? None of the drive mounting holes line up and there's a decent gap between the drive and the chassis. If I'm missing something, do I have a chance of ordering elsewhere or am I hosed?

There is supposed to be a bag of yellow shock mount screws in the box. You screw them into the HD's and they go into the grooves in the trays.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
There is supposed to be a bag of yellow shock mount screws in the box. You screw them into the HD's and they go into the grooves in the trays.

[digs through the 400 things on my desk]

Got 'em thanks...organizational problem. ;)

Dec 26, 2007
[digs through the 400 things on my desk]

Got 'em thanks...organizational problem. ;)

Don't feel too bad, I did the exact same thing.

I opened up the case, started looking at it, and go "wait a second, these holes do NOT line up with a HD's mounting holes at all... WTF!?!?!!??!?" Then I saw the yellow shock absorber screw thingys and it clicked all of a sudden :p

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Don't feel too bad, I did the exact same thing.

I opened up the case, started looking at it, and go "wait a second, these holes do NOT line up with a HD's mounting holes at all... WTF!?!?!!??!?" Then I saw the yellow shock absorber screw thingys and it clicked all of a sudden :p

same here... lol

leglez

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2005
Would this work well for streaming to an xbox 360 and ps3? I don't have any windows PCs and have had lots of problems streaming from OSX to either of them. I would like to take my 1TB storage drive out of my computer and put it in something like this if I would easily be able to stream to the xbox 360 and ps3.

Status
Not open for further replies.