DEAD - Hot Sprint Cellphone plan - Employee Friends and Family deal (SERO)

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shelaby

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
I called and asked a rep if I would be able to extend my current SERO contract once it expires even though the deal is dead. They said that I would be able to, that we would get "grandfathered in" so heres hoping.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I don't see why they would change your plan at the end of the contract, no cell company would do that unless you called and requested a change. At which point they probably would mess up the sweet SERO deal because normal Sprint CS doesn't seem to be able to work with the plan to start with.

I'm not planning to make any changes, but it would be nice to get a renewal rebate on a phone at that point. Just can't figure out from the comments here if I will be able to or not.

Keyone

Feb 15, 2006
If you have the old SERO, don't renew or change anything. Leave it as-is on a month-to-month contract.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Keyone
If you have the old SERO, don't renew or change anything. Leave it as-is on a month-to-month contract.
That's what I'm hoping for when my SERO plan expires in 2010. My previous VZW plan went month-to-month for almost a year before I dropped it--VZW kept hounding me to "upgrade" to a new phone and contract. It felt good being free of a contract and telling VZW to bug off.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
darn, my year and a half of free SERO is also about to run out in a couple of months. Long story, but had a problem signing up, where they over billed and charged me twice for my phone and account stuff, and then when they went to fix it by issuing me credit, they credited more than they should.

However, I am curious as to whether a phone upgrade later will cancel out the old plan I have because I want to eventually get rid of this mogul ppc6800 I have for something else.

anthcla81

Dec 31, 2004
my phone on the sero plan was recently washed..so I needed a new phone. When I called sprint, they said the only way to upgrade the phone and get a discount on it, was with a current sprint employees referral. They weren't even able to sell me a phone at normal full price at the sprint store. I ended up just buying one off ebay and going online to the 'upgrade or activate phone' option and doing it there. 1 bill received since changing over and everything seems fine. From what I was told by the sprint store, after my contract is up, it would just continue on at the price and plan it's at, as long as nothing is changed...hope they're right..otherwise i'll be seriously looking at the G1 in january

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
As far as I know, your contract doesn't effect your rate plan at all. You can change rate plans at any time and when you change it, nothing effects your contract dates. You will only need to change when Sprint does something crazy and requires a new rate plan for their devices but that's usually rare.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: HumblePie
darn, my year and a half of free SERO is also about to run out in a couple of months. Long story, but had a problem signing up, where they over billed and charged me twice for my phone and account stuff, and then when they went to fix it by issuing me credit, they credited more than they should.

However, I am curious as to whether a phone upgrade later will cancel out the old plan I have because I want to eventually get rid of this mogul ppc6800 I have for something else.

Unless you get an Instinct (/gag) why would your plan change if you get a new phone? This idea SERO will go away with a new phone or going out of contract is absurd.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: anthcla81
my phone on the sero plan was recently washed..so I needed a new phone. When I called sprint, they said the only way to upgrade the phone and get a discount on it, was with a current sprint employees referral. They weren't even able to sell me a phone at normal full price at the sprint store. I ended up just buying one off ebay and going online to the 'upgrade or activate phone' option and doing it there. 1 bill received since changing over and everything seems fine. From what I was told by the sprint store, after my contract is up, it would just continue on at the price and plan it's at, as long as nothing is changed...hope they're right..otherwise i'll be seriously looking at the G1 in january

Bizzare I just got it done.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
this is not dead and still works.

The catch is, you have to ask for the $30.00 sero plan. Its not listed, but if you ask for it, they will take it.

diamonddave

May 23, 2006
You CAN NOT sign up for the $30 SERO plan as a new customer.

I have no problem with being proven wrong, but a lot of people seem to be suggesting you can just sign up for the $30 SERO plan. I've asked several people at Sprint about this - all concur that as of July 13th, the only referral plan us regular people can utilize is the Everything Plus Referral program, starting at ~$60. If someone can document & prove otherwise, by all means please post it here.

That said, I'm on a legacy $30 SERO plan; if you're already on SERO from before July 13th, you're grandfathered & can renew your contract. (I just did this.) You may even be able to add extra lines to your account with the same plan as others have mentioned; retention hinted to me that it's possible if I want to add a line or two. If you're not already on SERO, though, you can't just sign up for it. My plan, for example, reads as a fair & flexible plan even though it's SERO - I don't care what they call it as long as it works & the deal remains the same. The Sprint reps claim the SERO codes don't exist in their system for new signups any more.

Sprint can certainly be quirky, though: Other people talked about using an Instinct on SERO, so I called Sprint to renew my contract while ordering an Instinct. While going through this process, I talked to five (5) different people at Sprint & was very explicit with each that I planned on using the Instinct on my SERO plan. Every one of them understood & signed off on the renewal to get the order. Of course, due to probable lack of training, Sprint's inconsistency meant I couldn't activate my Instinct when I got it - had to order a different phone instead. (Sprint claims everything is automatically active on the Instinct, which requires an Everything plan.) With Sprint's inconsistency, I wouldn't be surprised if the odd person got a good deal, but most of this stuff being discussed here is not available to normal customers.

Hope this helps, if anyone can provide extra useful info post it here, please - and post some supporting information, not just hearsay.

nguyendot1

Mar 31, 2003
So my friend handed me over his Instinct.... is there absolutely NO way to activate this stupid thing on my SERO plan? I only want minutes and internet... sigh

What a waste of a phone then.

ron2368

Sep 13, 2000
If I want to change phones( I have 8 months till my 2 yrs is up), am I better off buying one on ebay or trying to get a new one thru sprint? If I buy on ebay can a sprint store change it overto the new phone for me?

TicoAz

Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: ron2368
If I want to change phones( I have 8 months till my 2 yrs is up), am I better off buying one on ebay or trying to get a new one thru sprint? If I buy on ebay can a sprint store change it overto the new phone for me?

You can activate it yourself at http://www.sprint.com/activate

But before you buy any phone on ebay, if it isn't brand new get the ESN to make sure it is clear and you can activate it...

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I just added a second SERO line on my account for my wife. I walked told them I wanted another exactly like I have now and thirty minutes later I walked out with a very happy wife with a $50 purple rant. I was happy the our bill will be $40 less than it would be without SERO.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: boomhower
I just added a second SERO line on my account for my wife. I walked told them I wanted another exactly like I have now and thirty minutes later I walked out with a very happy wife with a $50 purple rant. I was happy the our bill will be $40 less than it would be without SERO.

yep! if you have an existing sero plan, you're good to go as for adding additional lines (and even transferring lines from another plan or even another carrier and giving them sero).

however, if you a brand new customer and want to add the $30 or $50 sero plans, you're basically out of luck. the only way to get on the old sero plans is to find a friend who has sero, and is willing to transfer your number to their account, then give you sero on your number, and then finally doing a transfer of liability (porting a number to its own separate/new account). i have done that twice in recent weeks (and my 2nd TOL was done yesterday actually!) with 100% success.

if you guys have any questions with SERO, dont hesitate to ask! PMs are welcome too! :)

brlacasse

Jan 31, 2005
I've been on this plan for almost 2 years now and have been very satisfied with Sprint's overall quality and more importantly, the monthly price. You cannot get a better deal than SERO, in my opinion. I would continue service with Sprint but due to Sprint's abhorrent phone selection, I'll be switching to either T-Mobile or AT&T come March. Hopefully, they rectify that before then.

GTFan

Jan 11, 2001
Please stop resurrecting this frigging dead thread. If you have SERO, great, start a new thread somewhere else to discuss it. For everyone else, it's a goner.

AMD K9

Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: maximusfarticus
Originally posted by: GTFan
Please stop resurrecting this frigging dead thread. If you have SERO, great, start a new thread somewhere else to discuss it. For everyone else, it's a goner.

:wine:

Is that a glass of wine or a cup of blood? Gtfan sounds like an angry fool. THe Sero plan lives if you have a friend that has the SERO plan and just purchase an additional line from them.