*DEAD* Good System Build... Moderate Money... FAST!

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
PowerEdge SC1425 Qty 1
FREE UPGRADE! Intel® Xeon? processor at 3.0GHz/2MB Cache, No Operating System Unit Price $999.00
Save $200 on select PowerEdge SC1425 servers through Dell Small Business
Special offer View Details
- $200.00

Catalog Number: 4
Module Description Show Details
PowerEdge SC1425 FREE UPGRADE! Intel® Xeon? processor at 3.0GHz/2MB Cache
Operating System No Operating System
Additional Processor FREE! 2nd Intel® Xeon? processor, 3.0GHz,2 MB Cache
Memory 512MB, DDR2, 400MHz,2X256, Single Ranked DIMMs
Keyboard Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
Monitors No Monitor Option
Primary Hard Drive 40GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Mouse Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll
CD/DVD Drive NO CD ROM
Bezel Option No Bezel Option
System Documentation Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
Hard Drive Configuration 1 Drive Attached to Onboard SATA Controller, No RAID
Chassis Configuration No Rails Included
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Plan
Installation Support Services No Installation Assessment

TOTAL:$799.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Price
Sub-total $799.00

Yuuum! 2 Xeon's 3.0 with 2 Meg Cache ... These chips alone run around 350 bucks each. That's 700 bucks right there. Hyper Threading... So you could run 4 processes on this system.

1) this is server equipment... So, you shouldn't run into heat issues or failure. This equipment is suppose to run 24 hours 365...

2) This will lower you power bill. This system has a 450Watt P/S. Instead of running 2 systems with hard drives and two p/s... It should be about 1/4 - 1/3 less power.

512 - DDR2 and two 64-bit Xeon Porcs 3.0GHz should kick butt!!!!!

I don't crunch for this group. I use to be a member here but I crunch for myself... Anyway I will post pictures up when I get it.

More Specs! system specs

Safe journey space fans wherever you are.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Nice deal :thumbsup:

I just ordered an Athlon 64 X2 4400+, so I think I'll have to pass for now. :eek:

:D

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
Nice deal :thumbsup:

I just ordered an Athlon 64 X2 4400+, so I think I'll have to pass for now. :eek:

How much was that X2? Supposedly my motherboard supports them with the current BIOS...

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
Originally posted by: MDE
How much was that X2? Supposedly my motherboard supports them with the current BIOS...
Too much...

;)

~US$640 from Newegg :eek:
Yeesh, I thought I was nuts for wanting to pounce when they hit $400. You'll love it though.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Can you post benchies please when you get it up and running :p

D-R-O-O-L :Q
Absolutely. DC-specific benches are first thing on the list after Windows and driver installation. :p

Hey, I look at it this way: it's a heck of a lot cheaper than two Opterons and a workstation board! :shocked:

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
or 2 xeons and a workstation board :)

LOL if the benchmarks are where I expect them to be I may sell my dual xeon setup and go amd.:p

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
For dual core procs...

I have read that you can't run both at full speed since doing so would cause too much heat...

So, I am not so sure it would be a good investment... I still think having 2 CPU's on one MOBO is going to function the best for SETI applications.

Back on topic I still think Daul Xeon is a great deal for seti applications.

I'm all for races... And best speed. If AMD had the same configuration I would buy it. I am looking for Low engergy Cost and best bang for the buck down the road.

I was currently looking at a server with 2 optrons. But, that was 500 bucks for the AMD tech fest. No Drive, No box, No Fans, No P/S ... Granted this is a rack box it's easy to mount it in a premade box of your own. Or you could just set it on a stand as long as it had good air flow you should be fine.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MicroChrome
For dual core procs...

I have read that you can't run both at full speed since doing so would cause too much heat...
I'm not sure where you read that, but I am absolutely certain that it is not true, assuming proper cooling and stock speeds (even overclocked, one should not have a problem if the o/c is reasonable). Dual processor systems do have some advantages (in AMD's case, one of those being the ability to upgrade to dual processor dual core), but that is not one of them.

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
Do you read Maximum PC?

Anyway, they explain a lot in the last issue I just got a new one. I'll try to quote some of the stuff if I have the time. They are pretty good at explaining new technolgy and it does make sense. It is Impossible to run multi core at full speed as it would quickly burn your chip up...

That is the reason why they went dual core is because they were having so many heat issues with single core....

It would be nice to drop in a Dual Core chip to make your pc run twice as fast... I hope that is not what your thinking because that is not what daul core is about. It runs stuff more effiently or say if you wanted to Burn a DVD and play on the internet or play a game for that matter.... But your not going to see 2x speed loads. So, that is why I say Daul Core is not going to be that big of hit for Seti. Well it help speed it up YES... Will it double the work units ... Sadly, NO... Granted AMD would be choice to go with since Intel is somewhat lacking in daul core chips.

Let us know!

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MicroChrome
Do you read Maximum PC?

Anyway, they explain a lot in the last issue I just got a new one. I'll try to quote some of the stuff if I have the time. They are pretty good at explaining new technolgy and it does make sense. It is Impossible to run multi core at full speed as it would quickly burn your chip up...

That is the reason why they went dual core is because they were having so many heat issues with single core....

It would be nice to drop in a Dual Core chip to make your pc run twice as fast... I hope that is not what your thinking because that is not what daul core is about. It runs stuff more effiently or say if you wanted to Burn a DVD and play on the internet or play a game for that matter.... But your not going to see 2x speed loads. So, that is why I say Daul Core is not going to be that big of hit for Seti. Well it help speed it up YES... Will it double the work units ... Sadly, NO... Granted AMD would be choice to go with since Intel is somewhat lacking in daul core chips.

Let us know!
Ok, I must have misunderstood what you said the first time, assuming that I correctly understand what you said this time. What I thought you were saying was that one could not run both cores at 100% utilization, which is on the contrary most certainly possible.

I know that while the fastest FX is at 2.8GHz, the fastest dual core is "only" 2.4GHz per core. Hence, a single threaded application will run slightly slower on a dual core setup than on a faster single core setup; however, multi-threaded applications (or two copies of a DC program) will outperform or outproduce the slightly faster single core setup. I think you may be exaggerating a bit - or maybe Maximum PC did (I tend to trust AnandTech et. al. - but not THG - a bit more than Maximum PC).

ssvegeta1010

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Real world seems better

as seen here...Thanks goes to Ronin

7 WU difference (and I don't think the clock speed difference would make up that much). You'll also notice the WU time differences.

Yeah, the real world difference of 15 WU in 24 hours (probably 7~8 difference when factoring in clock speeds) is pretty significant.

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
Update if anyone cares to know...

Daul 3Ghz with 2 Meg Cache does about 4 Seti Work Units every 2.5-2.8 hours. So it's a little over 32 a day maybe around 35-36 a day. I can't keep this tho, there are 8 tiny fans about 1" x 1" and they are loud. I can't sleep while this thing is buzzing away. Maybe one could drill holes through the top to water cool it. But I am sending this back to dell. Not to mention it has the 2 more fans in the power supply and another 2 for the motherboard that are the same size yet I think most of the racket is from the CPU fans. Oh well... So much for a cheap cruncher. Just looked and for 1400 or so hundred bucks you can get a dual 3.2 Ghz but only 1 meg cache and 4 Gigs of ram. Not too bad. Tho, I think for crunching purposes I'd still take the 2 3Ghz with 2Meg cache.

Would be nice to have a basement with 10 of these! ;) 320+ WU's a day! :) All for under 8K!!! So much for that new fishing boat!

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I thought dell's were supposed tio be silent?

Sorry bro, I love my dual 2.8 1 mb cache though.It rocks at dc :p

Can't you change out the fans though? Damn tthats a mean machine :p

I think I would still like dual cores a bit better if I had to live with the sound though.

Mike

I have 3 120mm case fans 4 1 inch scsi hdd fans and 2 92mm cpu fans plus a fan on the ati card and a fan on the side of the case 80mm. noise is there but its a soft hum, not a buzz.

Temps max are CPU 1 54C and CPU 2 55C right now running 4 instances of Find-a-Drug.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Papst makes quiet 40mm fans, but I'm not sure if they would push enough air for that thing... :confused:

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
Yeah, I suppose if you took a hole saw and drilled 2 92MM holes in the top you could machine screw in a few right over the coper heat sinks or even 120MM Fans for some huge ass blow holes..... Hmmm, I wonder what would be better? Suck out or push in? The bigger the fan the less the noise. That really isn't a bad idea!

The problem would be... Once you drilled the holes you own it... There is NO way you could return it... And I'm not sure how loud or even if it would make a diffrence....

Vantec Stealth SF9225L

92mm Silent 2nd Fan (Double Ball Bearing) - Price: $9.95
92x92x25mm-----------Airflow--------Noise:
3.62x3.62x0.98---------28 CFM-------20 dBA

I guess with 2 of these sitting over the cpu's... What would be 28X2 and 40 dBA? Don't really know... Would really suck to spend 20 bucks and some time drilling and not get it any quieter or worse more noise and burn out your chips ... Sigh...

If anyone has any better suggestions I'd like to hear 'em...

Thanks!