[Dead] GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390 GV-R939G1 8GB Videocard - $264 after MIR & shipping

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
EDIT: Card is OOS

GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390 GV-R939G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card

$309.99
- 10% off w/ promo code EMCKAAN22, ends October 8, 2015
- $20 MIR, ends October 31, 2015 (Limit 1 per household)
+ $4.99 shipping
= $264

R9 390 vs. GTX970 - JaysTwocents
R9 390 vs. GTX970 - MW Technology

More info @ Gigabyte

- Great price/performance
- Class leading raw GPU horsepower
- Class leading DX12 performance based on 2/2 DX12 benchmarks (R9 290X ~ R9 390)
- Class leading VRAM capacity (Fallout 4, GTA V, Skyrim mods :))

1080pi7.png

- Class leading 1440P performance

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

49-61% faster than a GTX960 at 1080P/1440P. IMO, $64 over the 960 4GB is well worth it for this card if you can't quite stretch it towards a $280 GTX970.

Last edited:

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I was literally a few minutes away from buying a B-Stock EVGA GTX 980 for $369 shipped with 1 year warranty but decided to check the hot deals section here and found this thread. I couldn't believe the charts posted showing this card AS FAST as the GTX 980. I then did some research...and was shocked. I mean, really shocked! Russian, first off, I very much enjoy your posts and how much info you provide. Thank you very much for that.

I'm coming from a GTX 770 2GB and have been wanting to upgrade for a while in anticipation of Fallout 4. Before it launches, I want to play through FO3, FO NV and Skyrim, all heavily modded. I can't think of a better card, after seeing this. Do I jump in? I play at 1440p. Or, do I go stupid and get a Fury X or 980 Ti? I also have Shoprunner so free 2-day shipping for a total of $259 shipped.

Last edited:

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Well that's pretty easy to answer since you saw the benchmarks. Is the performance good enough for you? If not, is the additional performance worth more than 2x the price? There's your answer.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I picked one up last week when it was $273. So far it seems to work fine; was a pia getting my 2500k system to accept it. I had to go through hell to flash the mb (they never released an official bios that could be flashed that would support the newer mb; you had to download something from the forum that only worked with a tool in some other forum and it is a really annoying bios but at least the card now works :) )
-
Definitly don't recommend this card if you have an old msi p68 mb. But other than that it seems fine. I'm using whatever drivers windows laoded. 3dmarks gives 12000 (no clue if that is good or bad); some people complain that the fans don't kick in until the card is above 60c and that is bad for the cpu (not gpu) (too much heat int he case). Seems ok in my system.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I couldn't believe the charts posted showing this card AS FAST as the GTX 980.

I should not that it's close to a 980 at stock speeds but the 980 has 17-25% overclocking headroom so it will ultimately beat a 390 by ~20% if you are willing to OC. $370 B-stock 980 is also a great deal. I can't recommend against that either. This more comes down to how you feel about spending an extra $100 now or buying a stop-gap 390 and using the $100 towards a 16nm HBM2 GPU in late 2016/2017.

I then did some research...and was shocked. I mean, really shocked! Russian, first off, I very much enjoy your posts and how much info you provide. Thank you very much for that.

Thanks a lot for your kind words! :biggrin:

A lot of people overhyped 970/980 but 390/390X are also solid cards, especially now that prices on them are falling.

I'm coming from a GTX 770 2GB and have been wanting to upgrade for a while in anticipation of Fallout 4. Before it launches, I want to play through FO3, FO NV and Skyrim, all heavily modded.

Here is what I would do in your shows. FO3 and FO NV are not demanding titles so you can play them with your 770 2GB. Both of those games should take you all the way until FO4 launches. This is important because if ideally you are upgrading for FO4, why not wait to see real world performance of 970/980/390/390X vs. each other at 1440P?

On the case of Skyrim modded, you can try it but 770 2GB will likely limit you at a lot with many mods at 1440P. If you go with FO3/FO NV first, and see FO4 benchmarks, you can always upgrade in November. The deals on R9 390/390X/970/980 are likely to accelerate in Q4 as it's the holiday season.

I can't think of a better card, after seeing this. Do I jump in? I play at 1440p. Or, do I go stupid and get a Fury X or 980 Ti? I also have Shoprunner so free 2-day shipping for a total of $259 shipped.

I am personally of the view that right now the best card to buy are 970/390 and GTX980Ti, nothing in between, except an EVGA B-stock 980s. Those are solid too. I wouldn't get a Fury X.

As far as your choice of games goes, I'd much rather go 970/390 for $260 now and then upgrade again to a 16nm 8-16GB HBM2 GPU when you need more power rather than get a 980Ti. The only question mark is how well FO4 will run at 1440P but if you follow my advice above, you just have a month and a bit to find out. ;)

Having said that if you have a friend, cousin, family member or a quick way to sell a GTX770 for a good price and you are excited for an upgrade this year, it's hard to go wrong with a 970/390/b-stock 980.

I picked one up last week when it was $273. So far it seems to work fine; was a pia getting my 2500k system to accept it. I had to go through hell to flash the mb (they never released an official bios that could be flashed that would support the newer mb; you had to download something from the forum that only worked with a tool in some other forum and it is a really annoying bios but at least the card now works :) )
-
Definitly don't recommend this card if you have an old msi p68 mb. But other than that it seems fine. I'm using whatever drivers windows laoded. 3dmarks gives 12000 (no clue if that is good or bad); some people complain that the fans don't kick in until the card is above 60c and that is bad for the cpu (not gpu) (too much heat int he case). Seems ok in my system.

Thanks for your valuable feedback on this specific card and your compatibility issues.

As far as your last point goes, modern Intel CPUs can easily handle > 90C. Therefore, it seems unfounded that some people would start panicking that their CPU temperatures are rising when the card doesn't turn the fans on up to 60C.

BTW, I recommend that you overclock your 2500K processor to get extra performance out of your system and squeeze the most out of that graphics card upgrade.

Would this be much faster at 1920x1200 than a 7970.

925mhz 7970 ~ R9 285/GTX960. You'd be looking at about a 49-51% increase on average.

perfrel_1920.gif

Is the upgrade worth it for you? Well it depends if you can sell the 7970 for $80-100 or move it to replace your 5870 and someone actually would benefit from the 2500K+5870->7970 upgrade as well.

It also depends on what games do you play, etc. If you play a lot of indie titles or have a backlog of older less GPU demanding titles, then it might not be worth it. For example, after-market 7970 cards can overclock to 1150-1200mhz so it's possible for the games you do play a single 7970 OC is good enough to hold you over until 16nm HBM2 GPUs. If OTOH, you plan on playing the latest games in the next 6 months and plan on heavily gaming over this winter, then it might be worth it.

I personally like to upgrade when the performance increase is 75-100% faster than my existing card unless I can get a smoking deal but I've seen many people upgrade for a 15-50% increase. Everyone is different. ^_^

Last edited:

hack_tc

May 5, 2012
Went ahead and picked one of these up. I had sold my GTX 770 2gb a few months back to a friend for $200, so this is hopefully a worthwhile upgrade. I play at 1440p , and also plan on picking up the rift when its available next year. I had planned on getting the 980ti, but from what I've been reading it sounds like I will be better off holding out a bit longer before I throw down the big bucks.

If this can sufficiently power the rift, and my monitor, for another year, I'll be thoroughly pleased.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Thanks for your time RussianSensation

I second that, the man devotes a lot of time and effort to this and it shows.

Thank you guys! :)

Went ahead and picked one of these up. I had sold my GTX 770 2gb a few months back to a friend for $200, so this is hopefully a worthwhile upgrade. I play at 1440p , and also plan on picking up the rift when its available next year. I had planned on getting the 980ti, but from what I've been reading it sounds like I will be better off holding out a bit longer before I throw down the big bucks.

If this can sufficiently power the rift, and my monitor, for another year, I'll be thoroughly pleased.

Wow, nice sale on the 770. This makes it a very cheap upgrade for you.

Not sure a single R9 390 will be fast enough for Oculus Rift at 1440P, but based on your sale of the 770, this is an amazing stop-gap card for your 1440P gaming in the meantime between now and 16nm HBM2 GPUs. Don't worry about skipping the GTX980Ti. By the time OR comes out, I bet there will be even faster GPUs or the 980Ti will be cheaper.

On average the R9 390 is about 47% faster than the 770 2GB at 1440P. Since you got $200 for the 770 and you are getting double the VRAM, that's an awesome stop-gap upgrade. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Looks like the card is OOS.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
So far I've not had problems but I've only had mine for a week and the game I'm running is not gpu intensive. I have to travel a bit and then I'll get back into witcher 3 and see how it does for a long session. 3dmark give sit high ratings (I have to dobule check but either it was 12000 or 14000 and it didn't have any issues running the test a few times in a row but still that is short lived). I thought most of the negative reviews were related to the driver not handling suspend correctly.

Ya, you are right. I kept thinking 290. 390 has 8. How is the card? A couple people posted reviews on Newegg about the card shutting down/constantly rebooting?

hack_tc

May 5, 2012
Mines been quite the headache so far, honestly.

I had already cleared all my drivers before the card arrived, and had catalyst downloaded and ready to install. Got the card and slapped it in, would bsod at the windows 10 login, and then restart and do the same, indefinitely. Each time with a different error code.

Pulled the card out and managed to get into windows, installed the catalyst files, and then it finally started working. Haven't had the issues of it powering on after shutdown, though.

However.... I had been running my pc back at my old stable OC settings (3570k@4.5) for the last week with no issues. I ran a quick Valley test (scored low 2700ish, dunno if that's par for the card), and went to set my cpu back to stock. Then I was back to BSODs over and over before I could login, lol. The only way I could get into windows was Overclocked. wtf.

Anyways, Im slowly but surely ironing out those wrinkles. Bios updates, ccleaner, etc..

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
However.... I had been running my pc back at my old stable OC settings (3570k@4.5) for the last week with no issues. I ran a quick Valley test (scored low 2700ish, dunno if that's par for the card), and went to set my cpu back to stock. Then I was back to BSODs over and over before I could login, lol. The only way I could get into windows was Overclocked. wtf.

Anyways, Im slowly but surely ironing out those wrinkles. Bios updates, ccleaner, etc..

Whenever I have stability issues, I always revert all components to stock and try to isolate them one by one:

Memory: Memtest86
CPU: LinX/Prime95/OCCT
GPU: Unigine Heaven/Valley/3DMark runs

What's your PSU?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm running windows 7 64 so that might be the difference. Also I let windows installed the drivers; didn't bother to download them or use the dvd that came with the card. I'm running 4790k stock speed (I know overkill for gaming but it was heavily discounted).

Mines been quite the headache so far, honestly.

I had already cleared all my drivers before the card arrived, and had catalyst downloaded and ready to install. Got the card and slapped it in, would bsod at the windows 10 login, and then restart and do the same, indefinitely. Each time with a different error code.

Pulled the card out and managed to get into windows, installed the catalyst files, and then it finally started working. Haven't had the issues of it powering on after shutdown, though.

hack_tc

May 5, 2012
It's an old Corsair AX850.

Since I've flashed my bios I have yet to crash@stock CPU settings, or BSOD. I have done a bit of heavy gaming today and haven't had any issues, knock on wood. I'll probably mess around oc'ing the cpu later tonight, since the game I play is pretty cpu dependent. Doubt I'll ever mess with oc'ing the card.

Things are looking good. With things working right, I'm quite pleased with the performance.

*I was using the original bios of my old Asrock z77, so it was (and likely still is) way outdated.

Also, I'm still quite hesitant with this windows 10 upgrade I did. I didn't do a clean install, so there's no telling whats hiding in the shadows on this computer, lol.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
It's an old Corsair AX850.

Since I've flashed my bios I have yet to crash@stock CPU settings, or BSOD. I have done a bit of heavy gaming today and haven't had any issues, knock on wood. I'll probably mess around oc'ing the cpu later tonight, since the game I play is pretty cpu dependent. Doubt I'll ever mess with oc'ing the card.

Things are looking good. With things working right, I'm quite pleased with the performance.

*I was using the original bios of my old Asrock z77, so it was (and likely still is) way outdated.

Also, I'm still quite hesitant with this windows 10 upgrade I did. I didn't do a clean install, so there's no telling whats hiding in the shadows on this computer, lol.

Ok so possibly it was a compatibility issue with your old board's BIOS and the GPU?

Over time I tend to update the mobo BIOS to the latest as it resolves many issues over the years.