DEAD: 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 3.5" SATA Internal Hard Dr - $59.99 AC - FS - Newegg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
On a somewhat unrelated note. You could get the F3 1TB drive at superbiiz for $55 using their current promo code listed on the home page.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Check your invoices. I received shipment notice and the price shows $79.99ea on the invoice...

Edit: OK maybe I jumped a little early. The shipment email doesn't include the coupon code, but he site shows the proper dollar amount.

Nevermind

Last edited:

llmercll

Aug 10, 2010
I contacted newegg asking for reimbursement after buying the same drive for $20 more 5 days ago, and they refunded me $10 =)

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i have two of these running in my whs without issue. i bought them just a couple months ago for 95 each and I thought THAT was a good deal...

vtohthree

Apr 18, 2005
Why are these Samsungs so cheap?

If I were to make two guesses:

1.) Samsung has a lower profit margin and doesn't charge as much of a premium for their hdd's brand line compared to other drives(that's why it seems to be lower on average comparatively).

2.) Korean Won (Korea's currency) has been hit really hard these days so the exchange rate is favorable to us Americans. This encourages them to cut prices even more, though our currency has been rapidly declining too.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Really sad I missed the $60 deal, I need to upgrade my RAID. Here's to hoping these make a come back during BF/CM.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Mine just got here and were actually packaged well!

Starting to move 10 TBs of data...

pe3046

Sep 2, 2001
Got mine yesterday, no /z4 either but one of them gave a smart error overnight. Will have to watch that one.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

1.) Samsung has a lower profit margin and doesn't charge as much of a premium for their hdd's brand line compared to other drives(that's why it seems to be lower on average comparatively).

2.) Korean Won (Korea's currency) has been hit really hard these days so the exchange rate is favorable to us Americans. This encourages them to cut prices even more, though our currency has been rapidly declining too.

seeing as the dollar has died compared to virtually every other currency #2 is definitely not true.

the won has appreciated over 10% vs the dollar since like june. http://www.x-rates.com/d/KRW/USD/graph120.html

the likely reason is ... A. they are dumping inventory because they probably know xmas season will suck in america. B. they can produce these 2TB drives cheaper than the other companies right now, since their 3 platter lines for the 667 gB platters are probably more mature or something like that.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004

1. Sounds about right. Samsung makes everything! I've read the conglomerate is 20% of Korea's GDP

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
Well, the 2TB drive is back down to $80 with promo code EMCZZZN33. I just got one yesterday from superbiiz for $90 and thought I was a real big pimp. :p

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Starting to move 10 TBs of data...

So you can officially get to Mordor?

9t.jpg

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005
Back for $79.99, i was going to order it but $50 with Promo Code?
I will wait for $50...